Is the infantry a sustainable lifestyle ??

I mean like because i want to go infantry i was just wondering whether the infanteers on this site think that the infantry lifestyle and career is a job for life or just for a while, i dont want to start , then be worn out by the time im 20, the points i am worried about are:

1) The amount of time off you get, see family and go out with mates etc.

2) If it is too hectic to carry on for a long time e.g. tour after tour after tour.

3) Whether the promotion prospects are good.

Any other info will be appreciated, If you can help ill be grateful.

Thanks.

Whiskey_60 said:
The Infantry is amazing, the rest of the Army is sh!t, do you want to be amazing or sh!t?

I hope that helps.
I tried it for 22 years then quit cos it wasn't for me

how many more bone threads you going to start Sneaky Tean?

SneakyTeen said:
I mean like because i want to go infantry i was just wondering whether the infanteers on this site think that the infantry lifestyle and career is a job for life or just for a while, i dont want to start , then be worn out by the time im 20, the points i am worried about are:

2) If it is too hectic to carry on for a long time e.g. tour after tour after tour.

Any other info will be appreciated, If you can help ill be grateful.

Thanks.
You should be okay aslong as you're not a big fanny!!!

Yes it is sustainable. I did it for 22+ years and never had a yearning to go elsewhere, because lets face it there are people who decide Infantry work is not for them and then re-badge (and no that is not a dig a those who re-badge to other arms/corps), but I was quite happy as an Infanteer. There is no role within the Army these days that is not affected by overstretch.

What?

Errr... Why else join the army?

Compared to what? Not sure you understand your own question. Best rank in the infantry for an other rank is Corporal - rifle section commander. Should take you three/four years if you're a flyer. You can reach the same rank in other arms inside a year.

7and2suited said:

What?

Compared to what? Not sure you understand your own question. Best rank in the infantry for an other rank is Corporal - rifle section commander. Should take you three/four years if you're a flyer. You can reach the same rank in other arms inside a year.
You sir are a wee bit of a knobber.

Yes - just don't expect your knees to be still working at 100% at 40....

SmithsRail said:
7and2suited said:

What?

Why's that then friend?

Don't answer too quickly mind, you may need an adult to help you with a full a proper answer this time..

you are infantry, you are cannon fodder, live with it

tropper66 said:
Better that than some thick RAC knobber who can't even spell trooper.......... :D

in_the_cheapseats said:
tropper66 said:
Better that than some thick RAC knobber who can't even spell trooper.......... :D
Without the cavalry(RAC), war would be just an unseemly brawl

7and2suited said:
SmithsRail said:
7and2suited said:

What?

Why's that then friend?

Don't answer too quickly mind, you may need an adult to help you with a full a proper answer this time..
Indeed, I feel I have to give a reason in detail for EVERYTHING I post on t'internet. :)

Yes, I do.

7and2suited said:

What?

Really? In what Corps?

tropper66 said:
in_the_cheapseats said:
tropper66 said:
Without the cavalry(RAC), war would be just an unseemly brawl
Oh good riposte! Well done, that man! :D And of course, it has such resonance in Iraq and Afganistan these days.

Tell me, how many Challangers regiments are parked up these days with their crews doing other things, mainly, oh the shame of it, infantry things?

The RAC soldier is a multi skilled technition in death, and how many inf grunts could crew a Chally

SmithsRail said:
7and2suited said:
SmithsRail said:
7and2suited said:

What?

Why's that then friend?

Indeed, I feel I have to give a reason in detail for EVERYTHING I post on t'internet. :)

Yes, I do.
Have no fear, you will soon be old enough to join the cadets (still 13 years minimum age right?)

Latest Threads