Is the human race capable of peace?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fallschirmjager, Jun 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just watched 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' which is basically about an alien which comes to earth to destroy mankind as it deems we're slowly destroying the planet and each other.

Anyway, quite a silly film but it got me thinking: If the human race was given a choice of either being exterminated or having to make peace with each other and not **** up the planet do you think it could be possible?

Personally I don't think anything could make us reconcile our differences even if Keanu Reeves came down with a view of ending us! I think the human race would rather fold into oblivion rather than get along with each other as we haven't got it in ourselves to live peacefully side by side and never have. I think we're past the point of redemption.

What do you think?

2. You'd be up shite creek if peace and fluffy bunnies broke out.

3. I doubt it. We're driven by competition, and if one day we all became peace-loving, all it would take is one slightly stronger individual (probably a bloke) to take something by force and then we're back to the modern world.

To use the dreadful cliche: gentle people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to commit violence on their behalf...

4. Sadly, probably not Fally. Once you have got to grips with both plain 'stupidity' and 'ignorance.' Then casual 'opportunism,' 'apathy' and the 'diffusion of responsibility' along with the lack of 'moral fibre' that goes with it. You then have to deal with the REAL killer. Good old fashioned GREED.

As was famously stated, "There is enough in the world for peoples needs, but not for their greeds."

And I am not a Marxist or some 'bleeding hearted' Liberal btw. ;-)

5. Even with such an ultimatum there would be those who would attempt short term profit/agrandment for themselves.

ie your man with the plastic head piece in the 'fifth element' (gary oldman ?)

And that is assuming tawts like bruin and bliar don't wade in.

6. I'm with you. I don't think even the best of intentions would last long - there'd always be some ****** ready to risk everyonbe else's lives for the sake of some petty advantage or spite.

The only way aliens could stop us shafting each other would be to assign us all from birth our own personal police robot programmed to club us like baby seals the moment we strayed from the straight and narrow.

Shite film, too. The original's a deserved classic. "Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!"

7. I don't think we could, humans are competitive by nature, it's a survival instinct! We'll always want what someone else has got.

8. We would be****ed, there are more than a few extremists out there that would rather we all died than become best bezzers.
    It's human nature, could you really see us mates with the french?

But your right, it is a silly film.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I can't recall a time in my life when there has been such unrest around the world. It's either going to get better or much, much worse. I don't think our continual meddling is helpful and it invites more problems.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think Watchmen got it right in that only a threat to the species survival from an alien source would unite us and even then only until we've killed it.
    Still if there were ever a way to for every man and woman to get all the energy, food, water they needed as well as shelter and an attractive mate as well as plenty of toys to keep them entertained, some **** would still kick off and ruin it for everyone else it seems to be human nature unfortunately.

11. The human race is not capable of peace because the human race has NEVER been peaceful. Nothing will change that. With sticks and stones we were violent, with bombs, guns and technology we are still violent.

12. Call me defeatist, but I've always thought we will be virtually wiped out by a nuclear Armageddon, leaving a few cockroachy remnants to learn the lessons and start again! The survivors will all be Japanese because they're already mutants from WWII! or welsh!

13. Humans WANT stuff, and will always be ready to go beat up some weakling to get it. The Sandskrit word for war is "Want of Cows" says it all really.

That said a common enemy makes friends of us all, see Churchill and Uncle Joe, when it came to Adolf.

14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not a chance - at least not while they make training films like "Kung Fu Panda" ! Watched it last night - it rocks, and violent as anything :)

15. True. As Reagan once famously pointed out, perhaps an 'alien invasion' would sort us out?