Is the Geneva Convention fit for purpose?

So long as you conducted the actual attack in 'uniform', getting within range dressed as a civvy is a legitimate ruse of war.
Pretty sure it isn't. I am still 99% sure the GC actually states you have to be identifiable as a combatant 'before, during and after'.

Edited to add; this is the ICRC definition for it;
Combatants are required to distinguish themselves from the civilian population while they are engaged in an attack or in a military operation preparatory to an attack.
A combatant who fails to distinguish himself while he is engaged in an attack or in a military operation preparatory to an attack loses his combatant status if he is captured, which means he does not have prisoner ofwar status and can be tried for an act of war.
However, he is to be given protections equivalent in all respects to those provided to prisoners of war under the third Geneva Convention.
Notably, in international armed conflicts governed by Additional Protocol I, a combatant distinguishes himself sufficiently if he carries his arms openly:

1. during each military engagement; and
  2. during such time as he is visible to the adversary while engaged in a military deployment preceding the launching of an attack in which he is to participate.
Combatants | How does law protect in war? - Online casebook

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
**** Blackman, hes yesterdays news, the Convention needs to scrap the rules that officers dont have to do manual work in captivity, the lazy cnuts.
Our valuable time is almost entirely taken up with digging tunnels, baiting goons and vaulting over horses. It's not all beer and sauerkraut in the Oflag.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think there has to be a recognisable uniform or insignia to be worn at all times by civilians engaging in combat. They must also show correct treatment of enemy wounded and pows.
Failure to demonstrate the above and you've lucked out if your caught . If on the other hand you abide by the above then it's full GC for you.
A towel wrapped around your napper and flip flops not enough?

A towel wrapped around your napper and flip flops not enough?
...and pyjamas , please !
Mind you, starkers could be considered a distinctive marking...

Latest Threads