Is the French Foreign Legion as tough as it used to be?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Matematik, Dec 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The legion used to be notorious for its tough training, brutality and high number of deserters.

Would you say this is still true today, or with modernisation, and for lack of a better term, political correctness, do you think the FFL has become less brutal and become more comparable with the training in the regular French military?

The FFL claim their standards of training, rigour, discipline, and overall toughess is almost identical to the French Army, but is it?
  2. Why don't you pop over to one (of the hundreds) of FFL websites?

Just a thought.
  3. Having already done my Parachute Regiment training,and the SAS selection cadre, I found it to be quite easy.
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Why don't you ask them?

Anyone know what it's like in the Nigerian Navy? I sold some of their Officers a broken fridge that I'd fished out of a skip once.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Your style of writing is very similar to the knobhead who thought the money raised by Military Wives choir was going into their own pockets. I guess your newspaper is rather dull at the moment.
  6. you can get more out of the PT if you do it all running backwards.
  7. FDW

FDW Old-Salt

My friend in Para depot went rouge, he said the discipline was nuts, and far stricter than what we had in depot.

Watching all the other regiments bimbling about made us realise we were subjected to far more discipline than the "hats".

So yeah, I think the FFLs discipline is pretty harsh, and they dish out beatings apparently
  8. FDW

FDW Old-Salt

Sorry ^ went rouge means made it through selection, no mean feat with the amount of men showing up these days for places, something like 1 in 40 makes it
  9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

What about the Malaysian Army Air Corps? Anyone know what their training regime is like?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Having already done my Parachute Regiment training,and the SAS selection cadre,and doing the French Foreign legion training,I found it to be very easy.
    • Like Like x 8
  11. So in effect, what they are saying is that the Legion are about as much use as tits on a Bull.

I think not!

French Army, that's a contradiction in terms if I ever heard one.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. No but I can tell you a lot about the Royal Brunei Malay Regiment ;)

Thye have some interesting and quite brutal training, which is totally irrelivant to life in the Military.

13. Went rouge, 1 in 40 pass rate, dishing out beatings..........your mate talks some bollox I'm laughing me tits off here, was he ever buried up to his neck in sand as well
    • Like Like x 4
  14. I found it easier than the AACC, harder than P Coy, easier than my texel jumps course and easier than SAS selection. I hope this is helpful.
  15. Actually not got a bad reputation in afghan.