Is the Epson L355 printer any good?

I do a lot of printing and the cost of ink cartridges is a bit of a joke,

I noticed that Epson do a printer which claims to drastically reduce this cost.

The L355 uses big tanks of cheap as chips ink which allegedly reduces the cost of ink by a factor of ten.

The cost for this is about £240.

I can do the sums but wondered if anyone had any experience of this little box. Speed, quality, wifi interface etc. Do the claims hold up?

Given that it's such a new printer, the chances of verifying any claims are tiny.

Wait until proper reviews are out there, doesn't seem to be any online at this moment although it did get some decent feedback on Amazon.

I do a lot of printing and the cost of ink cartridges is a bit of a joke,

I noticed that Epson do a printer which claims to drastically reduce this cost.

The L355 uses big tanks of cheap as chips ink which allegedly reduces the cost of ink by a factor of ten.

The cost for this is about £240.

I can do the sums but wondered if anyone had any experience of this little box. Speed, quality, wifi interface etc. Do the claims hold up?
If you are only after black and white then a cheapo laser printer from HP and buy the toner cartridges on line for about £6 a shot (for 1500 pages or so and they do work) is pretty cheap.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've just converted one of my cheap canon printers to CISS, it was £70 (which is about the price of one set of normal cartridges) for the kit and the first five 100ml bottles of ink. it took all of 10 minutes to do. refills cost the equivalent of 58p a cartridge.

Scunner

Old-Salt
I'd never buy an Epson printer again.... Tried three of their printers over the years and while they are very good when fairly new, no end of wasted ink, paper and frustration when the are a year or two old. Last one got Basil Fawltyed into tiny pieces .....
Bought a cheap new Samsung laser printer via Ebay five years ago (60 quid?) and have never looked back. Toner refill is cheap and easy. Effortless printing with zero red mist and broken plastic.

I bought one last weekend. Impressions are:
  • The physical set-up instructions are not brilliant. Far to small for an old git.
  • Slightly fiddly filling the ink. Bit of finger staining.
  • Connection to PC, iMac, laptops was very easy.
  • Connection to iPad was easy with the app
  • Print quality is fine. Not tried photos yet but I never really bought it for them.
All in all it seems OK. Does what I bought it for.

I will keep an eye on printing to see if it lives up to the claims.

I will run it for a while and if it lives up to spec I might replace the colour laser in the office with one (the replacement cartridges are very expensive).

Thought I would update this after 12 months use.

The printer has done sterling work over the last year. I still have the original ink it came with. Colours are down to around the 50% mark and black is down to about 30%. (And we do a lot of printing).

This means I have spent about £15 on ink over the year. I was spending up to £35/week on ink previously. Sometimes more before big trade shows.

Given the monetary maths I have also replaced two colour laser printers as this thing is far more economical. It does actually do what it says on the box.

Colour reproduction is very good. At least as good as any other printer I have had.

Only had one glitch - the nozzle on the black ink needed cleaning after a few weeks of idleness. Took a minute to clean.

All in all it is a decent piece of kit. Once you get past the shock of the initial price it soon proves to be very economical. Probably not suitable for a casual user but for a heavy user or a business it is a snip.

mangoletse

War Hero
Sounds ideal, I'd never heard of CISS. Is the remote ink tank securable to the machine, and is leakage likely in normal use?

Latest Threads