Is the cost of living crisis real ?

Is the cost of living crisis real ?

• Yes I`m suffering badly.

• No, the useless fat messes need to get a grip and manage their finances and liflestyle.

• The left are making out its far worse than it is .

• I`m fine and couldn`t care less.

• Its real, thousands are genuinely suffering.

• It will get a lot worse and their will be genuine hardship.

Results are only viewable after voting.

triggerigger

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not taking cards is usually a sign that the place is about to go under (or is going to attract the attention of HMRC for operating in the black)
They declare some of the cash . Struggling business . Flash car big house ,cash on the hip. I have a relative who declares around £35 k a year and puts around £20k Cash in his wallet . At least he's not been tax payer funded .

Not anymore it doesn't, the Government changed the way that fuel poverty is calculated. You have to be living in a house/flat with a EPC rating worse than band 'D', and on either minimum wage or universal credit, and spending more than 10% of your income on energy.

It effectively dropped 1.5 million people out of the fuel poverty group, making figures look better, typical government accountancy trick - don't solve the disease, hide the symptons.
Thanks goodness, I am saved - but only if I move to England. :D

However, out in the Celtic fringe I must remain worried:

Fuel poverty definition in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland​

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland still largely use the old definition: that a person is living in fuel poverty if, to heat their home to a satisfactory standard, they need to spend more than 10 per cent of their household income on fuel.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks goodness, I am saved - but only if I move to England. :D

However, out in the Celtic fringe I must remain worried:

Fuel poverty definition in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland​

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland still largely use the old definition: that a person is living in fuel poverty if, to heat their home to a satisfactory standard, they need to spend more than 10 per cent of their household income on fuel.
I live In Wales...

Fuel poverty...older houses still have the chimneys in situ.
It doesn't take long on a coal tip to get enough decent coal to heat a house for a week.

Just my personal experience, stored-up inflation has hit at last and we are all long overdue for a rebalancing after quantitative easing.
Food is more expensive, as is heating your house, travelling to work and for leisure.
Most of us on here are of a certain age and can remember real poverty, and managing to budget for it.
I think we are in danger of looking at a certain class of modern day numpty that is entitled to free stuff and money, those that shout the loudest in the main.
They have never been confronted by having to take responsibility in their lives so far, their balance needs redressing badly and hopefully this might happen.
But there is inflation and some people are going to really suffer.

Just my personal experience, stored-up inflation has hit at last and we are all long overdue for a rebalancing after quantitative easing.
Food is more expensive, as is heating your house, travelling to work and for leisure.
Most of us on here are of a certain age and can remember real poverty, and managing to budget for it.
I think we are in danger of looking at a certain class of modern day numpty that is entitled to free stuff and money, those that shout the loudest in the main.
They have never been confronted by having to take responsibility in their lives so far, their balance needs redressing badly and hopefully this might happen.
Particularly those who, at the moment, have very little or no money left at the end of the month.

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
My wife, a retired teacher of 41 years experience, always did say the issues began at home and in the school curriculums, having no set weekly classes regarding finance, money management, or simple survival budgeting.
Followed by zero housekeeping skills eg cooking from fresh.
As for parents? Best not go there in this thread. All in all, Leavers form the 80's on left mainstream education fat, unexercised in both body and mind, and learned quickly to use credit and leccy toys.
But, never to save and value. Not their faults really. Society conditioned them.
Far removed from the teens & 20's in Hurricanes & Spits engaging. or risking death with a will.
SWMBO and I were sometimes too hard on our lad re obligations but he did 3 tours, left the Army with honour and saved 10's of thousands for his civvy house deposit and cash-bought car.
34 now and never used a credit card, or will ever. I think the only thing he does on tick is his mobile.
Still think I hammered him a bit hard now and then but he does not think so.
It was my Papa who instilled thrift in me. He made me work hard for my pocket money.
The legacy live on I guess.
He's the tightest git on the planet now. Makes me look like Santa and I'm so tight my arssee squeaks.

Last edited:
And, it's all relative.

Good food in the 50's was expensive so, Mum made stews, cooked offal, rice puddings for Sunday 'afters' and, many imaginative meals. That 'skill set' was passed on to me and, my younger brother...eventually (lazy little B******).

All food was 'fresh' no fridge,you must remember water pipes freezing, milk bottle in the 'fridge' alias the window sill, one coal fire in one room, 'eiderdowns with sleeves', tin baths.

Being a 'latch key kid', during the Summer, my lunch would be a Tomato Sauce sandwich or. a Heinz Mayo sandwich if the old man was flush. Everybody was in the same boat, everybody would make 'sacrifices' (I hate that word in that context) but, everybody got through it.

Today, there is an expectation that, someone else will take care of everybody and, if the Government don't come up with the funds...it's because they're rich, Tory snobs !

I've just had a £1 meatloaf with onion gravy from Farm Foods, some potato and, green beans, nice and filling, not an arm and a leg and, affordable.

I shop in a number of different supermarkets,for specific items in each one. if I do all 5, it's about a 4 mile round trip...on my pushbike with panniers.

Things are getting more expensive, the solution is simple...change eating habits, educate kids, learn to say no to 'em and, eat simple,wholesome meals...buy and read cook books, allow a certain amount of money weekly for food, write a list and, don't deviate...all simple things that don't even get a consideration from people under a certain age, because they've never been tested.

It's now 'too easy' and, people don't think long term, they don't want the trouble or inconvenience of thinking about what's coming in the Autumn/Winter...it's Summer, that means expensive family holiday because, we've earned it.

I have a log burner,I also have stacked and ready to go...my logs for this Winter, I bought them now because, I could afford them, the price is going to rocket later in the year.

Yes, paying more for everything is a problem but, people of an 'age' will work it out...because their pensions dictate,they have to.

Not a rant, just an opinion...it's been worse, it's bad now and, might get worse but, it's down to people to make changes, not rely on the taxpayer/Government to bail 'em out !

Last edited:
Daily Fail had an article last week on 6 or 7 families , singles who are struggling to feed themselves etc.

Tried to find it but these “ Professional” workers were a pie eating ‘fat’ couple with two kids who run some weird fad “clinic’ . Some single woman who is a “ Life balance”? expert , if she is a life balance expert why can’t she balance her own life ? and most of the others were in the same kind of , what I term . Fake jobs , made up and worth fucc all to a ‘normal’ person.

First world problems .

Not taking cards is usually a sign that the place is about to go under (or is going to attract the attention of HMRC for operating in the black)

Most of the cheap takeaways in my area are cash only, a lot have a card machine but is strangely broken anytime you visit

Unless they report takings well under the industry average for the area, their chance of getting investigated is minimal

They're more in danger if they don't make enough money to pay their protection money

Most of the cheap takeaways in my area are cash only, a lot have a card machine but is strangely broken anytime you visit

Unless they report takings well under the industry average for the area, their chance of getting investigated is minimal

They're more in danger if they don't make enough money to pay their protection money
I forget which, either HMRC or Environmental Health or HSE, with the cuts to staff- average wait for a business in the UK to get inspected = 500 years.

And, it's all relative.
Things are getting more expensive

Totally agree with all of that, those are my early life experiences too, but this is going to affect everyone, not just the chavvy entitled social media driven classes.
The older generation who are on a fixed income pension will be hit the hardest, the chavs won't.
But they should be, and should bear the brunt of it.
That is where government should be focused, on the unproductive and economically inactive, not those who have worked and contributed all their lives.
Life really is a sh1t sandwich and we are all going to have to take a bite.
For some that bite will be bigger than for some others.

Mbongwe

War Hero
An insignificant figure in comparison to tax avoidance, tax fraud and money lost due to Department of Works and Pensions incompetence. Let's not mention the money wasted on track and trace.
More needs to be done across the board to tackle all forms of fraud and cheating against the taxpayer, including these huge companies avoiding paying their dues.

A number of formerly Hong Kong Triads that run such affairs, including the debt to the snakeheads to be paid off for getting them into the UK.
The 14k and Wo Shing Wo were the foremost in London, and were seen visiting Chinese restaurants the length and breadth of the UK collecting what they called "tea money".
I really don't think that they have retired either, unlike me.

Pret is decent & interesting food, though not for everyday. (Unless you're Michael Gove, allegedly (?) )
Coffee is decent too, 50p off if you already have a cup, even a paper one. And every day, staff members get to decide to give away a free coffee to someone.

I used to grab a Pret if I had to dash to London, or the wife put me on extras and took me shopping at the village outside Bicester. I also found that there are Pret's in New York City, alright but, not quite the same.

Any pre-made food is a luxury item though and some places they just take the absolute piss with the prices. Cheaper and easier just to grab a french stick and some salami, or something in a supermarket, along with a can of pop and make your own sarny.

A number of formerly Hong Kong Triads that run such affairs, including the debt to the snakeheads to be paid off for getting them into the UK.
The 14k and Wo Shing Wo were the foremost in London, and were seen visiting Chinese restaurants the length and breadth of the UK collecting what they called "tea money".
I really don't think that they have retired either, unlike me.

Triads,..........fiction innit.

I know they are real but, their very existence was poo pooed by many senior police officers when I was a lowly constable. No one took such things seriously back in the 70's and 80's.

Slime

LE
And, it's all relative.

Good food in the 50's was expensive so, Mum made stews, cooked offal, rice puddings for Sunday 'afters' and, many imaginative meals. That 'skill set' was passed on to me and, my younger brother...eventually (lazy little B******).

All food was 'fresh' no fridge,you must remember water pipes freezing, milk bottle in the 'fridge' alias the window sill, one coal fire in one room, 'eiderdowns with sleeves', tin baths.

Being a 'latch key kid', during the Summer, my lunch would be a Tomato Sauce sandwich or. a Heinz Mayo sandwich if the old man was flush. Everybody was in the same boat, everybody would make 'sacrifices' (I hate that word in that context) but, everybody got through it.

Today, there is an expectation that, someone else will take care of everybody and, if the Government don't come up with the funds...it's because they're rich, Tory snobs !

I've just had a £1 meatloaf with onion gravy from Farm Foods, some potato and, green beans, nice and filling, not an arm and a leg and, affordable.

I shop in a number of different supermarkets,for specific items in each one. if I do all 5, it's about a 4 mile round trip...on my pushbike with panniers.

Things are getting more expensive, the solution is simple...change eating habits, educate kids, learn to say no to 'em and, eat simple,wholesome meals...buy and read cook books, allow a certain amount of money weekly for food, write a list and, don't deviate...all simple things that don't even get a consideration from people under a certain age, because they've never been tested.

It's now 'too easy' and, people don't think long term, they don't want the trouble or inconvenience of thinking about what's coming in the Autumn/Winter...it's Summer, that means expensive family holiday because, we've earnt it.

I have a log burner,I also have stacked and ready to go...my logs for this Winter, I bought them now because, I could afford them, the price is going to rocket later in the year.

Yes, paying more for everything is a problem but, people of an 'age' will work it out...because their pensions dictate,they have to.

Not a rant, just an opinion...it's been worse, it's bad now and, might get worse but, it's down to people to make changes, not rely on the taxpayer/Government to bail 'em out !

As you mentioned Farm Foods.
I shop in various supermarkets, and as much as I love some items from Waitrose I equally love some Farm Foods items :)

I get that some people can be brand snobs, but I’d recommend anyone to have a good look around a Farm Foods store. :)

... I’d recommend anyone to have a good look around a Farm Foods store. :)

Purveyors of microwave kebabs and scotch pies – just the thing to have in the freezer for when your beer moped has malfunctioned and delivered you straight home without stopping at the van first.

Slime

LE
Purveyors of microwave kebabs and scotch pies – just the thing to have in the freezer for when your beer moped has malfunctioned and delivered you straight home without stopping at the van first.

To be honest, I was thinking more of core frozen ingredients so the basics of many recipes are always to hand.

Keeping things like frozen:
Garlic
Chillies
Sweet peppers
Chicken breast
White onion
Red onion
sliced carrots
Broccolli
Cauliflower
Peas
Sweetcorn
Etc etc, makes making a wide selection of meals really easy, and stops things like fresh onions or veg being wasted if not used. :)

Latest Threads