Is the cost of living crisis real ?

Is the cost of living crisis real ?

• Yes I`m suffering badly.

• No, the useless fat messes need to get a grip and manage their finances and liflestyle.

• The left are making out its far worse than it is .

• I`m fine and couldn`t care less.

• Its real, thousands are genuinely suffering.

• It will get a lot worse and their will be genuine hardship.

Results are only viewable after voting.

anglo

LE
...and don't forget the soap makers, port sunlight built by the lever brothers, again built to house the workers, with all the modern conveniences , and a comprehensive welfare system, this was in the era of rampant poverty nation wide.
Model village Creswell, built when the mine was under private ownership, a lot different now,
to then.
EDIT,

Creswell Model Village is an arts and crafts style model village in the village of Creswell, Derbyshire, England. The pit village was built in 1895 by the Bolsover Colliery Company to designs by architect Percy B. Houfton for the workers of Creswell Colliery on land leased from the Welbeck Estate.

Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot.png

D

Deleted 184863

The model towns and later new towns are well worth looking at.
It always perks my ears up when watching an old film and a model or new town is referred too. It’s a long disused term so stands out :)
Saltaire is a fine example.
I grew up partly in a Garden City - excellent concept that worked well for most citizens. The Upper Class didn't like them ;)

...and don't forget the soap makers, port sunlight built by the lever brothers, again built to house the workers, with all the modern conveniences , and a comprehensive welfare system, this was in the era of rampant poverty nation wide.
And Saltair, town built by Titus Salt, mill owner. No pubs though.

A bloke who worked for the wife got a call from VW.

"Hi, you know that Atlas you started leasing from us six months ago (for his wife), we would like it back, now. In exchange we will give you another brand new Atlas on lease for the entire lease period, starting the clock at month one again at the same price you still owe us on the one you have". lease period back up to three years and he would only pay for 2.5 years.

Turned out, with the inflated prices of used vehicles, the local VW dealership could make more money out of selling a lightly used 2nd hand Atlas than they could leasing a new one. So they wanted his back to sell it at much profit.

He told them, hopefully, he was happy to take a new one every six months if they wanted.
I believe it.
The Market can't cope with demand and all that is old is new again.
With China shutting down it is going to get downright Draconian towards the end of the year and next year.

All the above quoted were built and funded by industrialists, or the benefit of the workers, which in turn eased their miserable early 20th century lives, and in turn earned the bosses a fortune, a win win situation for all concerned.

The post war towns,
Basildon
crawley,
Hemel Hempstead
Milton Keynes
Stevenage
Harlow
Bracknell
And many more in the north, wales and Scotland, built to house bombed out families, by councils, and some private developers. some of which have morphed into total shite holes. Both sets of community towns built to house working class folk, but one for financial and good practice worker -management reasons, the other, because they had too.

All the above quoted were built and funded by industrialists, or the benefit of the workers, which in turn eased their miserable early 20th century lives, and in turn earned the bosses a fortune, a win win situation for all concerned.

The post war towns,
Basildon
crawley,
Hemel Hempstead
Milton Keynes
Stevenage
Harlow
Bracknell
And many more in the north, wales and Scotland, built to house bombed out families, by councils, and some private developers. some of which have morphed into total shite holes. Both sets of community towns built to house working class folk, but one for financial and good practice worker -management reasons, the other, because they had too.

More recently the likes of Swindon, and Peterborough expanded well beyond what they used to be.

With Swindon I can point at the two inter-married families who made much of the money from their expansion.

More recently the likes of Swindon, and Peterborough expanded well beyond what they used to be.
One is a bronze age founded town, and the other started life as a saxon settlement, both have no bearing on new towns, or their expansions post war.

All towns and citys in the UK have expanded, its called progress. London was timber surrounded fort, then the Romans came along..the rest is history.

Although it has become an accepted "fact" that the poor were there to simply be exploited, some of the wealthy Victorians had other ideas.
Until recently a friend lived in one of the houses, it was small but warm and solidly built. Wide cobbled streets and a sense of a hidden village.
However it is still Wood Green.

And how do you run this? Are shop assistants now meant to check ID, spot fakes and deal with the inevitable abuse? Do they not already have enough on their plate?

They were so keen to police face masks as well.

One is a bronze age founded town, and the other started life as a saxon settlement, both have no bearing on new towns, or their expansions post war.

All towns and citys in the UK have expanded, its called progress. London was timber surrounded fort, then the Romans came along..the rest is history.

I know that <cough> sort of, anyway..........I was in Swindon when it kicked off in the 70's and knew a female member of the family who owned, or had options, on most of the land between Swindon and Wootton Bassett*note 1. I wasn't shagging her, a mate was, I was busy with her cousin. Swindon indeed has a long history and became an industrial town when Isambard built his railway works there, later Plessey, and the British motor industry moved in. However, in the 70's the local Thamesdown Borough Council, at the time, started referring to it as a new town. Effectively the original Swindon was used as an anchor to develop West Swindon, known at the time as Toothill*note 2, and then subsequently North Swindon on the road to Highworth.

Likewise, you mentioned Milton Keynes, the long established villages around MK were used as the anchor for its construction. MK was my local shopping centre for a few years before moving here, and I was coppering in an adjacent county so I observed some of the original villages which had been swallowed up by its construction.

Most new towns used existing villages as their anchors when they were constructed, if only to build dual carriageways between two villages thus providing easier builder access. Back in the day when West Swindon started to go up and the imports from London and Birmingham started arriving the local Swindonians considered it another town entirely.

Notes:

1. The land between Swindon and Wootton Bassett became West Swindon, and the family firm made squillions.

2. Toothill was thus named as it was a low'ish, long hill that the railway tracks ran up from the direction of Chippenham/Bristol and the steam trains would toot their horn when going up the hill in case there was something/someone on the other side. Long time proper locals of Swindon still call West Swindon by the name Toothill.

Slime

LE
I usually delight in mocking those that clearly have no self respect and put their sloth down to 'got bad jeans' (the type of genes that make them allergic to the gym and salads) but when it comes to money and food, we need to remember that 'sh*t' food is cheap. It's cheap because it's sh*t. If someone else cooks it for you, you are saving on power, washing up etc etc. If all you can afford is shi*t food from a takeaway then you will inevitably end up resembling Mr Creosote (only not as well dressed).

I try not to mock as much these days, but it curls my teeth when the meeja force some no job, hair styled and dyed, perfect make up, latest tracksuit and trainers type with a huge TV and 7 dysfunctional kids running round the living room onto the telly-box to tell us all that they cant afford to live on the handouts that we pay for.

(Side thought: Is it time that benefits should be given in vouchers - redeemable against listed products with a valid ID)

For some (a small %) the cost of living 'crisis' will see them become obese, then Type 2, limbs amputated, then dead - all the while becoming a burden on the NHS

For others there will be loss of homes and status

Its a shit time. Its more real for some than others
"'sh*t' food is cheap." - fact healthy food is even cheaper and still massively cheaper if you turn on the cooker and cook it yourself compared with any takeaway, the lazy fat cnuts have no excuse and deserve to be skint.

The post war towns,
Basildon
crawley,
Hemel Hempstead
Milton Keynes
Stevenage
Harlow
Bracknell

Presumably Newtown in Wales is a new town