Is the cost of living crisis real ?

Is the cost of living crisis real ?

• Yes I`m suffering badly.

• No, the useless fat messes need to get a grip and manage their finances and liflestyle.

• The left are making out its far worse than it is .

• I`m fine and couldn`t care less.

• Its real, thousands are genuinely suffering.

• It will get a lot worse and their will be genuine hardship.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I suspect that the payment will be rounded down to a flat £66. £0.67 x 6 x 28million households is a substantial amount and electricity suppliers are arrogant enough to presume people won't notice/care.

It's a terrible thing to have to be so cynical to avoid great disappointment in life. :rolleyes:
I think there has already been a payment to some, read that many “could not“ wait for the payment to clear so went to exchange them in the local pawn shop for either a 15% fee of the face value or a £15 pound fee as “They need the cash now “.

Last edited:
I spent £140k on a 3 bed stone cottage with a garage, and a nice 1950's Aga

The views of Snowdonia and the coast are a nice bonus

If you're not worried about your house being an investment for retirement, and just buy that retirement house now you can save a fortune, and leave the rat race behind

Houses don't have to be expensive, and if you went up north, mine would look expensive...

Must be hell of an eruv, mucker. ;)

Edit autowrong

I think there has already been a payment to some, read that many “could not“ wait for the payment to clear so went to exchange them in the local pawn shop for either a 15% fee of the face value or a £15 pound fee as “They need the cash now “.
Wasn't that for the council tax rebate? £150 back from the council, except that those without direct debit facilities or a bank account got it as a cheque and some were happy to get cashed for £134 in return?

The electricity rebate isn't available until October as the treasury has yet to finish making it up finalising arrangements with the supply companies.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
British gas the thieving b'stards.

Gas was under a tenner a month...its only used for the shower..they've just increased the DD to £120.00 a month!! WTF...

Electricity..£80 a month has gone upto £200 a month.

Mrs is now going to work bank shifts and I'm doing all the overtime available just so we have a decent standard of living...something has to be done. I have no idea how young families with gas central heating are coping.

Gas was under a tenner a month...its only used for the shower..they've just increased the DD to £120.00 a month!! WTF...

Mrs is now going to work bank shifts and I'm doing all the overtime available just so we have a decent standard of living...something has to be done. I have no idea how young families with gas central heating are coping.
That seems overly excessive even in the scheme of things.
I'd ask them to justify that.
OK, ours has gone from £78.00 dual to currently £168 dual, but so far...guess what...we are already £90.00 in credit after 2 months.
I'd not just lie down on that tbh but it's your deal.

Wasn't that for the council tax rebate? £150 back from the council, except that those without direct debit facilities or a bank account got it as a cheque and some were happy to get cashed for £134 in return?

The electricity rebate isn't available until October as the treasury has yet to finish making it up finalising arrangements with the supply companies.
That was it , my error , still mongs though.

Do what my wife did; simply phone them up and ask them to lower the monthly DD.

you can set your own dd if you have an online account
And ask for any excess back. They will tell you it will all be sorted automatically on the next billing cycle (which mine have been) but you can ask for it back straight away.

I did so a few years ago when EDF refused to listen to me, increased my direct debit and when I checked they owed me £150. I was fucked if it was going to sit in their account earning interest for the next 3 months when I could use it so asked the nice lass in the call centre for a refund.

After getting through the "are you sure you don't want to leave it in your account in case of a cold winter" script the money was in my bank account a few days later.

Last edited:

Which is something I find interesting. Your companies seem pretty suspect and allowing them direct access to a bank account seems nuts.

This is our power/gas bill.
Was 129 a month before the change in the White House.
But Black Hills only debits what is in the bill, nothing less and nothing more. So no surprises are in store for us.
BB16C616-7F84-4870-B2B2-3AD533DBC4F2.png

Latest Threads