Is the cost of living crisis real ?

Is the cost of living crisis real ?

• Yes I`m suffering badly.

• No, the useless fat messes need to get a grip and manage their finances and liflestyle.

• The left are making out its far worse than it is .

• I`m fine and couldn`t care less.

• Its real, thousands are genuinely suffering.

• It will get a lot worse and their will be genuine hardship.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's like everything else these days, overhyped to the point of farce. Islamism, Brexit, Covid, Ukraine... All our periods should synch up and we should change our lives when we change our pads.

Or we could just get on with.

GDog

War Hero
Go on, expand your point? Or are you just another smugster, snobbing it with a clever remark about marrying an educated missus? If it's a serious point, have at it, then.
Lord knows I don't have a "missus".

My point is serious but it's so clichéd and oft repeated - especially here - that I'm surprised you need to ask, but here it is again since you did:

Everyone knows someone that's taken the piss and played the system. I have friends from my youth that have done it and there's a lot of family members that had kids purely so they could be looked after by the taxpayer, rather than themselves. These are the people I describe as taking the piss. Anyone that tried to shut down these chancers then gets shot down by their supporters. It is these groups I have almost zero empathy for.

The rest of us can go to work and demand a payrise where necessary. I have a fair bit of sympathy for workers on shit pay and TACOS either quitting and finding better work or going on strike via their unions. Those on fixed incomes should have thought through the consequences of demanding a two year economic shutdown to stop them catching a cough.

Lord knows I don't have a "missus".

My point is serious but it's so clichéd and oft repeated - especially here - that I'm surprised you need to ask, but here it is again since you did:

Everyone knows someone that's taken the piss and played the system. I have friends from my youth that have done it and there's a lot of family members that had kids purely so they could be looked after by the taxpayer, rather than themselves. These are the people I describe as taking the piss. Anyone that tried to shut down these chancers then gets shot down by their supporters. It is these groups I have almost zero empathy for.

The rest of us can go to work and demand a payrise where necessary. I have a fair bit of sympathy for workers on shit pay and TACOS either quitting and finding better work or going on strike via their unions. Those on fixed incomes should have thought through the consequences of demanding a two year economic shutdown to stop them catching a cough.

Fair points.

I wrote to Elsie saying that I wanted to lose a stone, and I would appreciate her advice on the one meal a day thing.

Also, that I now have a 60+ card, so would welcome sharing some of her rides, to discover more about London.

I haven’t had a reply…

She has wasted away. The new buses with three doors are not as warm as the RT's.

Why?
You need to do more tours.
Do you hope BAOR will reopen to the RAF with 1990s LOA?
Good job you are not renting locally.
I bet you never do duties or tours
And breathe

Brooker

Old-Salt
Oddly, many don't seem to understand why these increases are happening. From around 18 months ago shipping containers from China would typically bill logistics companies around £2k. Now that figure is closer to £10k.
Containers went way past £10k I was quoted £15k
But if you get containers surely you know why the price went up and why they'll go up again fuel just went up and there was a fleet of container ships stuck around the horn of Africa because of a pissed up container ship driver.
This is all made worse by covid in places like Tianjin and around China, containers are a supply demand problem.. if you have 100 container ships idling for 2 months that becomes 200 unless they take the very long route.

Will prices ever go down to what they were, I'm not so sure.

Why?
You need to do more tours.
Do you hope BAOR will reopen to the RAF with 1990s LOA?
Good job you are not renting locally.
I bet you never do duties or tours
And breathe

Zoe and Ben stopped drinking alcohol four years ago because it was too expensive.

Perhaps they should have stopped after having 4 kids - After all, kids are rather expensive.

Probably old news to some on here but (Optify) Mediaforce rebranded fully to Wifinity at the beginning of the year, then got caught royally fleecing their client bank.

Anyone that is using their services, anywhere on the planet should check their bank statements for bogus broadband use.

Every little helps.

Containers went way past £10k I was quoted £15k
But if you get containers surely you know why the price went up and why they'll go up again fuel just went up and there was a fleet of container ships stuck around the horn of Africa because of a pissed up container ship driver.
This is all made worse by covid in places like Tianjin and around China, containers are a supply demand problem.. if you have 100 container ships idling for 2 months that becomes 200 unless they take the very long route.

Will prices ever go down to what they were, I'm not so sure.
I've noticed that the logistics yard at Linwood has been filling up with containers over the last eighteen months. What are the financial consequences of a significant imbalance in the movement of containers?

I don't think it will be put away for heating bills in winter.
...and why should they.
Most are aware that, come winter, the usual suspects will get on their hindlegs and demand help for those poor unfortunates who are starving/freezing or have no Virgin media.

Brooker

Old-Salt
I've noticed that the logistics yard at Linwood has been filling up with containers over the last eighteen months. What are the financial consequences of a significant imbalance in the movement of containers?
Imagine you want to move something and what you need to move it with is the other side of the world and the only way to get it is via ship that takes 30 days. But then imagine that the containers needed to transport your stuff that's waiting in Tianjin (Port about 50km away from Beijing) is in Lindford and then imagine, that that container that needs to be in Tianjin to get to Tianjin needs to be full before it can be sent then add that where it is they only have 30% of their loading capacity as a result of restrictions.

It's a bit of a mess

I've not looked at the current status since Nov last year, but these things take ages and there was a log jam outside pretty much every Chinese Port. The Shanghai lockdown can't have helped.

Here's a great article

Covid has been a particular problem for good reason, China has a very old population we all know how badly it affected our older population here in the UK, then imagine that scaled to 1.6 billion and add a less effective vaccine program including the vaccine.

I can't imagine container traffic getting better as there is no real conferred immunity from other variants.

The level of idiocy in that article is phenomenal, Some people are unbelievably stupid

I suspect the writer is having a laugh.
"From needing the cash to pay for essential items such as a mobile phone..."

Spuduliker may be starving, but at least she can still watch TikTok.

Brooker

Old-Salt
I suspect the writer is having a laugh.
"From needing the cash to pay for essential items such as a mobile phone..."

Spuduliker may be starving, but at least she can still watch TikTok.
Dems, sounds like you have never been homeless, the one thing that homeless people see as all-important is their mobile. They don'ts spend their time on Tick Tock, it's essential to them for things such as knowing if things like a shelter are open are there any support services in the area or even just as a straight communication device, when you're homeless, normal rules don't apply, you don't pop home for a cuppa, you might be rough sleeping in a corner somewhere and in danger of being moved on by the police or just being beaten up by some pissed up ****** who thinks it's funny.

The internet is now on Maslow's hierarchy of needs for a reason.

1656402481934.png

But even if you're not homeless mobile phones are essential for almost everyone especially if you are working in many industry's that are zero hour contracts, which pay minimum wage, if you didn't have a mobile you don't work because you don't get the call.
This is not to say that some people don't take the piss, a small number do, I have some very distant family that haven't worked for 2 generations but still manage florida holidays somehow, but the fact they live on the Old Kent Road probably says it all. But it's important that people understand this is minority and is exactly what the daily mail, the sun express focus on.

SO let's not focus on the people that game the system, because they're a minority, let's think about how some people are in a serious position. On minimum wage, need to get to work can only drive, Petrol is up electricty has gone up, gas has gone up, food has gone up, some of these costs are more than double what they were.
A single Pepper in Lidll is 67p, I can hear you say grow your own, minimum wage earners don't have gardens greenhouses or even the time to look after peppers.

If you are on minimum wage or close to it, keeping up with bills is almost impossible.

A very good friend of mine walked the streets for 2 years moving from shelter to shelter, he didn't end up homeless because he's feckless, he ended up homless because he had a client that simply refused to pay a very large bill, By large I mean enough to buy a house. HIs business folded he lost everything, after 2 years he now has a job as an NHS carer, he lives in temporay accomadation he's incredibly frugal and at the end of the month he has £20 or £30 left and that is only because on top of his job as a carer he does gardening jobs on his days off, so he very literally works 7 days a week. The only good meal he gets is from the old couples who he does the gardening for.

Thi is quite typical of people on under £18,000 a year. Rent often takes 1/2 of your available income then add food travel council tax TAX! and the many other things it all adds up to a very miserable existence for many.

I find it much better when I see a report on the news, to remember that the news article will be very specific about who they show because they want to push a certain message and rarely if ever is that person an example of what is really happening.

I've seen reports of people who are supposed to be using food banks, The guy in it had a fashion ski jacket on, a nice shiny new kitchen, clearly not the norm, most likly to be a fried of the reporter.
I'll end with being on the breadline is complex and has serious consequences, it's in part as a result the wage squeeze and the lack of cheap affordable housing and the fact manufacturing and other big employment jobs have ceased to exist.

Just my two pennies