Is the cost of living crisis real ?

Is the cost of living crisis real ?

• Yes I`m suffering badly.

• No, the useless fat messes need to get a grip and manage their finances and liflestyle.

• The left are making out its far worse than it is .

• I`m fine and couldn`t care less.

• Its real, thousands are genuinely suffering.

• It will get a lot worse and their will be genuine hardship.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is the cost of living crisis real ? or is it greatly exaggerated by the left? , sure things have gone up in price but I`m getting fed up of listening to fat knackers wailing about having to miss a meal every day , lighting candles because the leccy has run out, kids starving etc , I suspect in 90% of cases the "victims" have an entitlement disorder and could get by if they acctually got off their fat arrses and cooked fresh food , cancelled their £40.00 pm mobile contracts x 4 per household, cancelled all the other tv subsriptions and turned the heating down from 28 degs to 20 degs an so on.

You are Jack Munroe and I claim my 150 quid fuel vouchers.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
You're missing an option...

Yes it's real but it's being made 10x worse than greedy companies using it (along with the Ukraine situation) as an excuse to bend us over royally.

Is the cost of living crisis real ? or is it greatly exaggerated by the left? , sure things have gone up in price but I`m getting fed up of listening to fat knackers wailing about having to miss a meal every day , lighting candles because the leccy has run out, kids starving etc , I suspect in 90% of cases the "victims" have an entitlement disorder and could get by if they acctually got off their fat arrses and cooked fresh food , cancelled their £40.00 pm mobile contracts x 4 per household, cancelled all the other tv subsriptions and turned the heating down from 28 degs to 20 degs an so on.

Is it real? Erring on the side of yes.

Things for my household are comfortable at current. I didn't get much in the way of pay rise last year (but was significantly above that of many in the private sector I suspect). On the plus side I'm somewhat insulated from a lot of it because I have a well paid wife. I am noticing that my pay packet doesn't go as far as it used too though, and looking forward makes me somewhat concerned.

However, it wasn't too many years ago I was working 55 hour weeks for minimum wage, and in permanent fear of the postman. So I can still relate and would, I suspect, be in rather unpleasant circumstances.

I would contend that there is a cost of living crisis, but at current it's only really affecting the marginals, but as the year goes on it will begin to erode it's way inwards.

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
I would think a lot of closures involving a variety of businesses may well be allied to failed attempts to kick-start after months of enforced closure. Interest penalties layered onto pre-Covid business over-drafts. Now the swords must fall. Banks etc can or will only go so far but they are hardly Furlough minded. It would have taken a few months to manifest, but here we are as it all percolates down.

I see a lot of small business consumer service shops failing around my post codes.
One family shut their old Italian cafe, and set up a van instead which is thriving with a massive reduction in overheads. It's a living.

As for the OP's points I cannot add much more. I agree. Lotto ticket, carb scoffing can't cook won't cook lard arsed entitled smelly gutter trash with an 1st Honours Degree of Wastrel Mongosity, I detest them.
I suspect most folk here know how to prioritise & budget as we all mostly have, and can buffer the tough times.

I
I suspect there is a load of really bad 70's 3 day levels of crap on the way....I've always had the view 2 years of Cov-id "rape" will have Long Cov-id economic impacts hitherto unimagined by so called "Millennials" ..but with which the ( cough) Baby Boomers are well acquainted. Hope I'm wrong.

Our dual fuel DD is from £78.00 P/m to £168.00 in 14 months flat but we can suck it up easily. Lots of older folk in my street cannot. That's a worry.

Last edited:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I also suspect that come Xmas, all these overweight types who claim they cannot afford to eat (hmm) will have the whole houses lit up with twat-lights.

I also don't buy some of the sob stories like the pensioner spending all day on the bus with her free travel bus to keep warm - I haven't had my heating on since mid Feb as it's been unseasonably mellow this year so far.

I do think however, the government should be doing more to tackle the sheer greed of some of the fuel and energy companies. Shell recently announced profits which equate to £80m a DAY - along with all the others, this is where we need a cabinet with balls to step in for "the little guy".

Energy companies trying to raise my DD by 133% claiming the price cap increase as an excuse. Right - the 50% cap?

Oddly, many don't seem to understand why these increases are happening. From around 18 months ago shipping containers from China would typically bill logistics companies around £2k. Now that figure is closer to £10k.

The left: Boris, grrr...

Back in 2012 the Energy regulator in consultation with the Government (back then) opened up the market to combat the greedy "Big 6" to make it more competitive and (theoretically) bring energy bills down overall. The result being 90-odd new energy providers, some of which were non-profit providers ran by local councils. The only problem with that? Some customers don't pay their bills (did we learn nothing from the sub-prime lending which led to the 07/08 financial crisis?) Combined with zero experience means greater chance of going bust - which of course they did. 20-odd this last year, meaning costs are absorbed by existing providers by law. Guess what? Huge increases April and Oct 2022. Oh and the 5% we get from Russia but people are stupid and will accept the sanctions on them will be the main factor...

The left: Boris, grrr....

However, my own "Boris, grrr" dit would be the fact that they are using ordinary methods to combat extra-ordinary inflation. Raising interest rates, capping allowances etc is fine when people have too much free cash and are spending too much - but when the inflation is caused by other means, it requires other means to control it. Such as having the balls to step in against the big hitters such as Shell, BP, British Gas etc. The problem being of course, is those with the power to do it - are often in the pockets of those they need to do it to.

So yeah, I can see both sides to this.

Long post sorry!

Last edited:

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
The energy crisis is real. What is interesting is seeing those of various political leanings trying to avoid the obvious conclusions that:

a) everything they have been saying about renewable electricity generation is, at best, much much further away from present reality than they suggested, and at worst, never going to be viable.
b) the only other option is fossil fuels
c) one of the reasons that b) is because they focused on a) to the exclusion of other realistic options (i.e. nuclear)

So "cost of living crisis" is a much more politically favourable way (to them) to phrase the problem, even when you look at the figures, by far the largest increases in cost - both for individuals and at a supply chain level (e.g. ships cost more to fuel so food prices go up) are rooted in energy prices and supply. If you live in, say, the Middle East or Africa, you'll also get hit by other cost of living effects, like the cessation of your entire wheat supply from Ukraine this year.

It is going to get worse before it gets better, because energy supply problems tend to take a longish time to fix (though so do vaccines, so who knows we might manage to do it quicker), but also because at present many governments are desperately trying to ignore the real issue because they can see the obvious consequences it will have given they've spent 10-20 years insisting that this wouldn't happen.

There has been a largely ignored minority of people who actually understand these things saying that regardless of the science around climate change, any action (either to solve or ignore it) is an economic problem. The same people have noted that the economic solutions proposed by governments and environmentalists are largely pie in the sky, and rely on either wildly optimistic forecasts by renewables industry, or flat out lies. We're going to see what happens when you spend several decades ignoring those people, while listening to shouty activists, far-left ideologues and Hollywood actors.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
And another thing...

This government don't half score some spectacular own goals. To recuperate some of the Covid overspend they could have perhaps introduced a *temporary* 50p rate, with a definitive review date and end date. Instead what did they do?

Kybosh an election promise by raising NI to 13.25 and 3.25% respectively.

The issue with that? Well if you're a property tycoon with 30+ houses in your portfolio, then you're laughing all the way to the bank. And the Tory-haters were lightening-fast in picking up on it, too.

And yet people still don't trust Starmer.

What a crappy state of politics we are in right now...

Is there a cost of living "crisis"? Possibly. I've seen an across the board increase of 10-15% in prices at Aldi and Lidl in the last three months. We haven't been hit by the rise in energy costs yet, but roll on October.

It would be nice if the government started to act like a Conservative government and cut a few taxes. I know that the pandemic has to be paid for, but crippling the economy with high taxes wont do it. Eliminating VAT on petrol and diesel will have an immediate downward effect on food prices. The "loss" of revenue would be offset by getting money circulating through the economy, generating taxable growth. However that isn't "green". And windfall taxes on oil companies is moronic - it will be passed straight on to consumers, raising inflation even further.

Sunak appears to have the economic competence and understanding of Gordon "The Moron" Brown. Either that or the Treasury hasn't shaken off the Brown mindset and Sunak has gone native.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Oh, and suspend the green tax for the time being too.

Saves everyone 25% on their energy bills and upsets a load of dreadlocked wax-jacket wearing weed-smoking hippes

Win-win

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is there a cost of living "crisis"? Possibly. I've seen an across the board increase of 10-15% in prices at Aldi and Lidl in the last three months. We haven't been hit by the rise in energy costs yet, but roll on October.
Just pointing out that much of that price rise in Aldi is as a result of energy cost rises creating supply chain problems (which were already on the ropes following the pandemic). With some exceptions, neither Russia nor Ukraine are major suppliers of food or goods (to the UK, Ukraine is to the ME/A as above), but Russia is a key energy supplier. The sanctions have hammered the global energy supply, particularly to Europe, which has carried over to raising the cost of transport and production in globalised and highly automated production chains.

2458Flid

Clanker
I think it's real, but going to get a lot worse; I think we have yet to see the worst.

I've heard 10% inflation quote quoted but in real terms it's a lot more: many of the items I buy have increased b.y much more

Hairy-boab

War Hero
I’m currently unemployed and on a much reduced income. We stopped drinking wine/beer and going for takeaways etc. Strong words had with the wife over the thermostat this winter.

Seems to work so far!

I've honestly not seen much in the news about this 'cost of living crisis' tbh.

Energy bill direct debits have increased, diesel is more expensive and the cost of foodstuffs has grown, though as my wife and I both work it just feels like a small decrease in disposable income.

If you're in a partnership with another person and you're both working - even minimum wage - and splitting the outgoings then you must still be comfortable I would have thought. That's certainly my present situation.

I don't really have any qualms about working 50-60 hour weeks though, it's a canter compared with 'busy' periods in the army. More leisure time to do what exactly, sit around and watch TV? I still do 30-40min gym sessions after 14 hour days.

I think 'The Left' are 'weaponising' the crisis purely as a stick to beat the grrr, Tories with, and 'The Right' are embellishing the woes of the 'entitled classes' to consolidate the casual disdain of millions of working class people in creating an enemy for their frustrations with increased prices.

I know that both 'The Left' and 'The Right' (political components) are wealthy and aren't impacted by such increases. 'Benefit scroungers' and 'working class' people are simply pawns for the rich to amuse themselves with by pushing such narratives. It helps them to distract us from the fact that both sides of the spectrum continue to get richer at our expense.

I've watched British gas deploy the billing yoyo on our energy account raising it by £120 one month then dropping it the next. Ukraine has a big affect but the oil companies are just laughing at us with crude falling and the pump price staying the same and all those mugs who were championing saint Greta now get to pay for it.