Is the Civil Service that bad?

i know of someone who got reduno from MOD CS, then got asked to return weeks after,she got to keep the payout as well
It will have been quite a few ‘weeks’
Very likely to have been in the first major round of VERS a number of years ago. The DIO in particular were going through major restructuring, accepted pretty much every VERS application then found themselves short once they had designed the new organisation.
People did come back, but treasury rules pulled apart their payments - some money could be kept. Quite a few that I knew wanted back after they experienced the private sector, but had to wait longer to protect their payouts.

If you are re-employed in an organisation covered by the Civil Service pension and compensation arrangements within 28 days of leaving your current employer, your compensation will be cancelled and your service will treated as continuous. You will have to repay the full compensation amount.
If you are re-employed in an organisation covered by the Civil Service pension and compensation arrangements outside the 28 day period, but within the lesser of:
a) six months, and
b) the notional period of the compensation payment
you will have to pay back the compensation payment pro-rata.

The repayment will be reduced in cases where the new employment is at a lower salary level than before.
If you have taken your compensation in the form of pension, the repayment is based on the compensation payment that would otherwise have been paid.
In all cases, if you have taken your pension on leaving, it may be subject to abatement on re-employment.

Last edited:
and the police and fire and ambulance and NHS etc

The NHS is circling the drain and has already told Boris the extra Billions he's chucked them won't be enough. The average waiting time for an ambulance to respond to a 999 call up here is six hours, and I doubt it's much better south of the border. One 98 year old in Edinburgh spent 16 hours laying on her kitchen floor after falling, before an ambulance finally arrived. Edinburgh Royal is treating patients on trollies in the corridors because there are no rooms available.

GP's are refusing to come out of their bunkers; if you're lucky, you'll get a video appointment. Don't have a PC? Talk to the doctor over the phone and hope you can describe your problem clearly enough for them make the correct assessment. Which doesn't always work: people have died of conditions that weren't caught in time because they couldn't actually see a doctor in the flesh.

Minor injury? Don't be silly, of course you can't see your GP. Travel halfway across the city to your nearest hospital, sit around for six to eight hours and you might be lucky enough for the nurse to patch you up.

The police? The same police who spent ten years turning a blind eye to the gang rape of girls and children, "on an industrial scale" because they were too afraid of being called racist to doing anything about it? The police who went after men like Lord Bramall instead, subjecting him to months of investigation into allegations of child abuse on the word of the serial fantasist Carl Beech? Including searches undertaken with warrants that were not legally valid? The same police who went on a three hour dinner break when they were supposed to be providing security at Manchester Arena the night of the suicide bombing?

The same police who ran away from rioters in London in 2011 and left law abiding citizens to lose homes, business and in some cases their lives at the hands of the mob?

Still, at least you're not quite as useless as Polis Scotland. So many of them have had shoeings that a majority who responded to a police federation survey stated they wanted to be AFO trained and carry firearms as part of normal response duties.

Yeah, good luck with that. Silly wabbits - guns are only to be carried when protecting important people like politicians! Police or citizens? Who cares about them?

Public services in the UK are a joke. But no one's laughing. :(

The NHS is circling the drain and has already told Boris the extra Billions he's chucked them won't be enough. The average waiting time for an ambulance to respond to a 999 call up here is six hours, and I doubt it's much better south of the border. One 98 year old in Edinburgh spent 16 hours laying on her kitchen floor after falling, before an ambulance finally arrived. Edinburgh Royal is treating patients on trollies in the corridors because there are no rooms available.

GP's are refusing to come out of their bunkers; if you're lucky, you'll get a video appointment. Don't have a PC? Talk to the doctor over the phone and hope you can describe your problem clearly enough for them make the correct assessment. Which doesn't always work: people have died of conditions that weren't caught in time because they couldn't actually see a doctor in the flesh.

Minor injury? Don't be silly, of course you can't see your GP. Travel halfway across the city to your nearest hospital, sit around for six to eight hours and you might be lucky enough for the nurse to patch you up.

The police? The same police who spent ten years turning a blind eye to the gang rape of girls and children, "on an industrial scale" because they were too afraid of being called racist to doing anything about it? The police who went after men like Lord Bramall instead, subjecting him to months of investigation into allegations of child abuse on the word of the serial fantasist Carl Beech? Including searches undertaken with warrants that were not legally valid? The same police who went on a three hour dinner break when they were supposed to be providing security at Manchester Arena the night of the suicide bombing?

The same police who ran away from rioters in London in 2011 and left law abiding citizens to lose homes, business and in some cases their lives at the hands of the mob?

Still, at least you're not quite as useless as Polis Scotland. So many of them have had shoeings that a majority who responded to a police federation survey stated they wanted to be AFO trained and carry firearms as part of normal response duties.

Yeah, good luck with that. Silly wabbits - guns are only to be carried when protecting important people like politicians! Police or citizens? Who cares about them?

Public services in the UK are a joke. But no one's laughing. :(
Yes, those police. The same ones that had had below inflation pay rises for years and this year were awarded a pay rise of..absolutely nothing.

The same police who have been beaten with Lawrence despite it being over 30 years ago.

The same police who, due to staffing issues can only put out three officers to keep the peace as the clubs throw out on a Saturday night.

The same police who investigate all those stupid Facebook spats or people gobbing off over parking issues instead of your shed burglary because the Home Office tell us to. The same Home Office that have just mandated that I do a 90 minute online package on 'Crime Integrity' whatever the f**k that is despite me not having 90 minutes spare on a shift. I could use my lunch break, but as today that was ten minutes I don't suppose I'll get much done.

The same police who climb into wrecked cars to do CPR on hopeless cases (he left recently).

The same police that cut down a 17 year old boy who'd hung himself on the back of his bedroom door (you want to help me forget that one? I'd certainly like to. My oppo is still having counselling 8 months later) or have to tell a mother that her 18 year old has died in a sex game gone wrong (only I wasn't going to tell her that, just that he'd died as a result of his own actions. She won't remember me but she'll remember the moment forever).

The same police who were the ones who put a child murderer into a car and asked "Where is she?" - that one killed him - 4 years later, utterly broken.

It's the same police that break into your nan's flat and have to put tags on her body and check it for injuries after she's been dead a week or the house where the dogs had been at the body - I actually undressed in the car park and sent my uniform for burning after that one.

The same ones who spend two hours working with social care managers trying to find a bed for a vulnerable person and have to leave him with the words 'If it gets too bad call us - we aren't experts but we'll always come' and then have his sister crying down the phone in gratitude.

Sometimes it's too late. Sometimes we can't pull the dog off the 70 year old and she dies, sometimes it isn't and we can drag the man who has just been found out for abusing his teenage daughter off the edge of the 100 foot cliffs he was intent on jumping from (f**ker wasn't getting away with it that easily.)

Yes, those police. The ones like Matt who had a request to swap a shift for their daughter's first birthday refused, the ones like me who will be on shift Christmas Day and Boxing Day dealing with drink fuelled domestics.

The same police whose wife never asks 'how was your shift' because she admits she can't bear to listen to some of the things I say but lets me tell her in my own time.

Those police

The same police who have a very twisted dark humour - who like early turn farting contests (except today when Greg followed through) or 'Cake Fines' when my errant elbow set off the Custody panic alarm. Apart from those times, you are quite right.

No one is laughing.

Last edited:
Yes, those police. The same ones that had had below inflation pay rises for years and this year were awarded a pay rise of..absolutely nothing.

The same police who have been beaten with Lawrence despite it being over 30 years ago.

The same police who, due to staffing issues can only put out three officers to keep the peace as the clubs throw out on a Saturday night.

The same police who investigate all those stupid Facebook spats or people gobbing off over parking issues instead of your shed burglary because the Home Office tell us to. The same Home Office that have just mandated that I do a 90 minute online package on 'Crime Integrity' whatever the f**k that is despite me not having 90 minutes spare on a shift. I could use my lunch break, but as today that was ten minutes I don't suppose I'll get much done.

The same police who climb into wrecked cars to do CPR on hopeless cases (he left recently).

The same police that cut down a 17 year old boy who'd hung himself on the back of his bedroom door (you want to help me forget that one? I'd certainly like to. My oppo is still having counselling 8 months later) or have to tell a mother that her 18 year old has died in a sex game gone wrong (only I wasn't going to tell her that, just that he'd died as a result of his own actions. She won't remember me but she'll remember the moment forever).

The same police who were the ones who put a child murderer into a car and asked "Where is she?" - that one killed him - 4 years later, utterly broken.

It's the same police that break into your nan's flat and have to put tags on her body and check it for injuries after she's been dead a week or the house where the dogs had been at the body - I actually undressed in the car park and sent my uniform for burning after that one.

The same ones who spend two hours working with social care managers trying to find a bed for a vulnerable person and have to leave him with the words 'If it gets too bad call us - we aren't experts but we'll always come' and then have his sister crying down the phone in gratitude.

Sometimes it's too late. Sometimes we can't pull the dog off the 70 year old and she dies, sometimes it isn't and we can drag the man who has just been found out for abusing his teenage daughter off the edge of the 100 foot cliffs he was intent on jumping from (f**ker wasn't getting away with it that easily.)

Yes, those police. The ones like Matt who had a request to swap a shift for their daughter's first birthday refused, the ones like me who will be on shift Christmas Day and Boxing Day dealing with drink fuelled domestics.

The same police whose wife never asks 'how was your shift' because she admits she can't bear to listen to some of the things I say but lets me tell her in my own time.

The same police who have a very twisted dark humour - who like early turn farting contests (except today when Greg followed through) or 'Cake Fines' when my errant elbow set off the Custody panic alarm. Apart from those times, you are quite right.

No one is laughing.
Bloody well said. People working for anything other than 'purely the money' get penalised, pisstaken and sidelined.

Edit: dunno what the answer is. MP's/PCC's to forfeit a months allowances/wages for everytime thy didn't complete a 12 hr nightshift on the streets?

Those police

No one is laughing.

Absolutely this. Roll on February.

Those police

No one is laughing.

Heroes all. In fact, I'll just leave this here to prove it.

Heroes all. In fact, I'll just leave this here to prove it.

Or more accurately than the shortened title - everyone failed to work in the best, most efficient collaborative manner during a terrorist incident.

RTU'd

LE
The 1 downside to any CS application is the vetting process.
I have been through it before and the process used to be long & when I originally joined the CS it was not unheard of for it to take 6-8 months just for SC, I thought times had changed?

But, it puts people off applying, currently I have been told my SC will take 1 to 3 months but possibly longer due to covid & people working from home? Waiting on vetting just seems to drag on & its a reason why some applicants give up.

The CS pension is still good, not as good as it was in the late 1990's.
But still a lot better than most companies offer these days.

I have been through it before and the process used to be long & when I originally joined the CS it was not unheard of for it to take 6-8 months just for SC, I thought times had changed?

But, it puts people off applying, currently I have been told my SC will take 1 to 3 months but possibly longer due to covid & people working from home? Waiting on vetting just seems to drag on & its a reason why some applicants give up.

Every CS will be on the new pension scheme from 03/22, if you can get the years in and go to 67 it looks ok, shame the state pension will be means tested in the next 10 years

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I"m looking fwd to my 0% pay rise this year while I have been given more "objectives" ie work with no reward. Proud to serve.

I submitted all my forms 9 weeks ago. Theres a few of my intake getting impatient now. I think a couple have decided to go elsewhere, one to Amazon for better money. We got an email apologising for the delay due to SC today. We were meant to have started by now and some need to sort accommodation in other cities.