Is the "Celebrity bubble" bursting?

Inspired by a thought I just voiced on another thread - where I vaguely mentioned a former olympic "star" of whom, and a few cohorts, were lured by the media hype then around them and thought a life of 'celebrity' would be bestowed upon them. They (to my knowledge anyway) appear to have dropped off the sporting prowess radar and also have since been left by the wayside by the media that built them up.

There are also a few other notable famous for being famous people who appear to have dropped of the radar. Have they simply earned enough cash and thought: "I'm here now...I can retire to my cottage" or...is something happening with public perceptions?

In today's world of daytime TV its easy to see the decline of formerly Saturday night headliners relegated to 'Loose women'...then quietly dropped from there, only wheeled out as a talking head when somebody once as famous as they were perceived to be karks it.

Or, am I just getting old and no longer aware of who is "famous" or not?

To offer an opinion on your title, no; I think it's if anything inflating. The cult of celebrity, fuelled by reality TV and social media, with the likes of Kim Kardasian in the vanguard, is only getting stronger.

Inspired by a thought I just voiced on another thread - where I vaguely mentioned a former olympic "star" of whom, and a few cohorts, were lured by the media hype then around them and thought a life of 'celebrity' would be bestowed upon them. They (to my knowledge anyway) appear to have dropped off the sporting prowess radar and also have since been left by the wayside by the media that built them up.

There are also a few other notable famous for being famous people who appear to have dropped of the radar. Have they simply earned enough cash and thought: "I'm here now...I can retire to my cottage" or...is something happening with public perceptions?

In today's world of daytime TV its easy to see the decline of formerly Saturday night headliners relegated to 'Loose women'...then quietly dropped from there, only wheeled out as a talking head when somebody once as famous as they were perceived to be karks it.

Or, am I just getting old and no longer aware of who is "famous" or not?
As mentioned in the "youtube boxing" thread, the net has a constant stream of bright and not so bright, young and not so young things surging for and attaining "celeb" status. Dozens of very famous pop stars have become famous through youtube and instagram, bypassing the traditional route of sucking off music execs, whether female or not. One would imagine for every one that relocates to Malibu off the back off it, 1000 end up staying at Walmart/Tesco/hairdressing etc.

Massive excess in supply, or is there?

Last edited:
I sit well away from the bank & let the whole stream of suppurating shit flow right by.
That does of course mean I have no idea who they are when these people pop up on the mainstream news pages.
Billy Piper?
Never heard of her.

Waz

Old-Salt
The word celebrity doesn't mean anything any more. Anyone from any third rate reality show is automatically a celebrity now and there's only so much prime time they can fill with these self-proclaimed stars.

The word celebrity doesn't mean anything any more. Anyone from any third rate reality show is automatically a celebrity now and there's only so much prime time they can fill with these self-proclaimed stars.
We went through a stage of celebrities trying to project their influence onto the political stage though - Bono, Madonna et alia. They appear to have gone quiet now though - maybe the PR companies have said: "Look - this ain't gonna go down too well"? Lily Allen must have missed the memo though - or is too skint in reality to employ the services of a PR company of repute...

No.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/youtube-tossers-in-boxing-farce-look-at-us.285671/

They just go through a lifecycle: Climb the greasy pole to achieve fame; maintain their fame; decline from view as their public moves on.

There are those who re-invent themselves constantly to stay at the top of the game, or do outrageous things particularly the youLube faces. My lad has told me about one kn0bber who constantly does outrageous things to keep his viewing figure and income up. For example: I believe he bought a brand new Lambo and wrote it off deliberately - small change if you are making a couple or three million a year from being a youLube star.

"Inspired by a thought I just voiced on another thread - where I vaguely mentioned a former olympic "star" of whom, and a few cohorts, were lured by the media hype then around them and thought a life of 'celebrity' would be bestowed upon them. They (to my knowledge anyway) appear to have dropped off the sporting prowess radar and also have since been left by the wayside by the media that built them up. "

Is this available in English?

"Inspired by a thought I just voiced on another thread - where I vaguely mentioned a former olympic "star" of whom, and a few cohorts, were lured by the media hype then around them and thought a life of 'celebrity' would be bestowed upon them. They (to my knowledge anyway) appear to have dropped off the sporting prowess radar and also have since been left by the wayside by the media that built them up. "

Is this available in English?
Ja, forstar du inte?

We went through a stage of celebrities trying to project their influence onto the political stage though - Bono, Madonna et alia. They appear to have gone quiet now though - maybe the PR companies have said: "Look - this ain't gonna go down too well"? Lily Allen must have missed the memo though - or is too skint in reality to employ the services of a PR company of repute...
They are still out in full force giving their opinions they became experts on from watching a documentary or reading an article and their fcukwit followers are still lapping it up.

Sorry but I simply don't understand what you're talking about.

'Vaguely mention', 'former olympic "star", 'cohorts', '"a life of "celebrity"'.

WTF do these words mean?

It sounds like a steam of consciousness rant. James Joyce would be proud of you.
I apologise for your lack of comprehension ability. Maybe the others who have responded could elucidate to you?

I've not idea who hardy any of them are tbh
Tell me about it, I was outside some nightclub in London wondering why everybody was mobbing this guy, didn't recognise them at all but some pap told me they were Jay Z (along time ago, and I went who ????)

And that before I get onto Z list reality TV stars, I hardly know the names of anyone mainly because I don't watch that kind of thing so unless they appear in the more serious papers I haven't a scoobie

My sister in law worked in PR after University until she got married a couple of years ago and she was tired of having deal with some of these so called "celebs", she said the only one she ever met that came across as a 100% genuinely nice person without thinking his career choice made him special was Tom Hardy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Yokel The NAAFI Bar 35
Fuktifino The NAAFI Bar 101
DesktopCommando The NAAFI Bar 46