is the british army now a satellite army of the u.s.a. ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ALVIN, Mar 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Times are a changing ! It apeares more and more apparent that the british and american military are so close to each other these days, that we have become their new satellite force, with the yanks calling all the shots in all operations. : ------- sad but true. :oops: :oops:

2. The US and Britain are about as close as David Duke and Louis Farrakan. 8O

3. Would you rather it cosy up to the French?

4. I know a lot here think we septics are congenitally stupid but it is a bit offensive to think we would be stupid enough to seek military partnership with the French.

I mean every day at morning colors:

No! No, Jean Pierre, not the white one! The tricolor!. Oui, Bleu, Blanc et Rouge s'il vous plait"

5. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Not necessarily. Clearly, over the last decade or so, the UK and US have operated very closely together, but it was not ever thus.

If you look at campaigns since WWII, one could argue that the British Army has had more success in independent and or commonwealth-allied operations .... Sierra Leone, Falklands, NI, Borneo, Oman, Dhofar, Malaya..... than in joint operations with the the US .... Korea, Gulf 1, Balkans, Gulf 2, Afghan).

And if Tony had been in charge back in the 60s, chances are we would have been in Vietnam too.

The only other time I can think of, offhand, where the British went in with an non-US or non-Commonwealth alliance (ie the French and the Israelis) it was a disaster - due to the Americans pulling the political rug out from under our feet. However, the military operations were completely successful. Funny to think, how the Americans would today love pretty much any military op launched by the Britisha and French in support of Israel.