Is the British Army going to get an Anti-material rifle?

I'm just curious about it, the british army is something I like to know stuff about, isn't that the point of this forum?, chill dude
You are wasting your time, everyone on Arrse apart from you is sat in a Chinese troll factory on the outskirts of Wuhan. From my seat I can see most of them. Should be time for a tea break in 30 minutes.

An anti material rifle is an effoff lump of metal, with rounds to match, that you have to lug around. All very well if you've got a vehicle. A tw@t if it's your legs for as far the eye can see, and you'll be lugging a Bergen with the usual shit crammed in and possibly your own IW as well.
A .338 AW job is already on issue to qualified troops, is a lot more manageable in terms of size and weight , and the round will reliably knacker an engine block at a km on soft vehicles.
That said, there is a good use for .50 cal rifles eg EoD as has been pointed out.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
There used to be two M82 Barretts in the armoury at ITC Wales. The only time in three years they were taken out to shoot was by me and my armourers for a cabby range test. We had to get Sennybridge to close the range road to shoot onto the gallery range (can't remember the letter) at 800m, which pissed off a SASC bellend and made a lot of other people laugh heartily at him.

They were comfortable to fire, and surprisingly accurate for a semi auto.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You are wasting your time, everyone on Arrse apart from you is sat in a Chinese troll factory on the outskirts of Wuhan. From my seat I can see most of them. Should be time for a tea break in 30 minutes.
Bat biscuits and chai for two, please.

An anti material rifle is an effoff lump of metal, with rounds to match, that you have to lug around. All very well if you've got a vehicle. A tw@t if it's your legs for as far the eye can see, and you'll be lugging a Bergen with the usual shit crammed in and possibly your own IW as well.
A .338 AW job is already on issue to qualified troops, is a lot more manageable in terms of size and weight , and the round will reliably knacker an engine block at a km on soft vehicles.
That said, there is a good use for .50 cal rifles eg EoD as has been pointed out.
Given the difficulty that we had* to get Sappers to pass an APWT shooting at Figure 11 targets at 300m, I always thought that expecting us to shoot at targets the size of a can of pledge half buried in sand was a bit optimistic.

* not least because of the lack of range time.

Londo

LE
The posts up Fred thread about the Boys anti-tank rifle have got me thinking that it could and most likely was used as an anti-materiel weapon .
How effective would it be with more modern sights and could/should it have been kept in service for longer ?
I'm sure the carrier platoon could transport a few solving the problem of lugging all that weight about .

The posts up Fred thread about the Boys anti-tank rifle have got me thinking that it could and most likely was used as an anti-materiel weapon
Yes, it was used by the LRDG to put holes in Luftwaffe aircraft as they sat on their dispersals. The main limitation to its effectiveness in that was that the ammunition wasn't developed beyond two or three ball rounds and a couple of practice types, so they had to be sure to poke the holes in the right parts else they'd just whizz out the other side.

Edit: The Interwebs says there was a tracer developed but not much issued:

Latest Threads