Is the 'Brief' the formal interview?

I don't actually think there is a formal interview for Soldier applicants. You have the brief which is just a careers discussion really. And then you have an 'interview' at the assessment centre but, again, that's really not a formal interview; I believe it's just to inform you of your performance during the assessment and make sure you know what you're getting yourself into by joining the Army.

Got the same question, I'm down next week for the brief and was hoping to sneak in while the lass was getting her nails done or whatever she spends my money on in the city centre. (we had the chat years ago but I don't want to mention anything until I pass the medical just in case)

She'll get a bit suspicious if I go down in business casual (same as you, have no suit jacket) and I was under the impression the suit and tie was saved for the interviews with the AFCO officer (not just the first contact visit), but that info could be way out of date or just wrong.

Last edited:
Got the same question, I'm down next week and was hoping to sneak in while the lass was getting her nails done or whatever she spends my money on in the city centre. (we had the chat years ago but I don't want to mention anything until I pass the medical just in case)

She'll get a bit suspicious if I go down in business casual (same as you, have no suit jacket) and I was under the impression the suit and tie was saved for the interviews with the AFCO officer (not just the first contact visit), but that info could be way out of date or just wrong.
Nobody is making you wear a suit or dress up smart. You're entitled to wear whatever you like, but the personnel at AFCO are entitled to judge you based on your appearance.

At the end of the day if you look like you don't care then it's not going to make a good impression.

Also, this is obviously a personal matter but just so you know: You might be asked at either of the interviews what your family thinks about you joining up. So you might want to discuss it with your partner if you don't think they'll be supportive.

Also, this is obviously a personal matter but just so you know: You might be asked at either of the interviews what your family thinks about you joining up. So you might want to discuss it with your partner if you don't think they'll be supportive.
She'll be more than supportive, in fact that's why I'm hesitant to mention it; don't want to get her hopes up about me getting in before I've passed selection. Like I said, we discussed it a while ago but I ended up having to put it on the back burner for a year or two.

Got the same question, I'm down next week for the brief and was hoping to sneak in while the lass was getting her nails done or whatever she spends my money on in the city centre. (we had the chat years ago but I don't want to mention anything until I pass the medical just in case)

Have you submitted your application mate?

Have you submitted your application mate?
Aye, got a phone call yesterday but me being a tit I didn't pick up because it was a withheld number (I get loads of PPI shit), voicemail didn't pop up until I restarted my phone today for an android update, so I'll have to ring them back.

Aye, got a phone call yesterday but me being a tit I didn't pick up because it was a withheld number (I get loads of PPI shit), voicemail didn't pop up until I restarted my phone today for an android update, so I'll have to ring them back.
Yeah, it's a bit annoying when that happens but all the best.

Had my F2F/Army Briefing today, for anyone else that's worried about it, don't be. I'm normally a nervous nelly but I was so at ease during it, I actually noticed how calm I was, lol. Hoping this is all public info as I wasn't told otherwise and there's nothing confidential so I'll just give everyone quick rundown incase you're worried.

Turned up to the AFCO, signed in, was taken to a waiting room with a couple of other people. They took my height/weight (although I was wearing boots so they clocked me in quite a bit taller than I am in reality) then ferried us into a little lecture hall (might be completely different but my AFCO is at a naval base). Corporal had a chat on with us while we waited for any late arrivals. 30~ minute presentation which basically just described the different types of roles in the army (1 minute~ vids on engineering roles, logistical roles, etc.), what to expect at phase 1, etc.

After that we were taken back to the waiting room to wait for our interviewer (who I believe is Capita personnel not army), although it only seemed like an interview because it takes place in a small interview room, it's super informal, he just asks about interests, work life, if parents/partner know, GCSE results, etc. (basically the info you filled in online) It was about 30 minute but, again, didn't feel like that at all. He explains the rest of the process (sending your forms down south, GP getting a pack to fill in, etc.) and perhaps what roles are suited for you. You don't need to take your quals don't with you, but you do need to take them to selection to verify so you don't need to sit the english/maths exam (I do wonder what you do while others are doing it, though). I'd recommend you do what I do and scan the sheet with the list of all your grades/subjects and save it to your google drive or the apple equivalent incase you're ever asked, as I just took my phone out and found the list and gave him the exact number and grades which I wouldn't have been able to do off the top of my head (again, this is info you fill in online so I guess it's not a disaster if you can't remember but you do get asked and it's only a 30 second job)

I went in not really having any desired jobs because I'm colourblind and am not sure what's available to me and what's not (there's lots of speculation and conflicting information online. Don't want to set my sights on a dream job to find out I'm never going to be able to do it), which he wasn't able to help me with but gave me a number to call (Not sure how useful the number will be since it's classed as medical information and they refuse to give it out over the phone), but my GCSEs are pretty good and I scored really well on the GTI (the cognitive test you do online at home through your portal, there's no testing done at the AFCO like your barb used to be, I believe).

Really friendly guy, and like I said I'm normally a mess during interviews but like everyone says, they aren't there to catch you out, their job is to actually recruit you, not scare you away. Whole thing was about an hour tops, although I'd already filled in all of my medical/optician forms, and completed all of the online tasking, which apparently the others hadn't done. He asked me about C-DRILS, which I don't think you're expected to know but I got all but one of them, I think he just mentions it because you might get asked at selection incase you didn't have a clue what it was.

In regards to attire, what they say on the website is probably the most accurate (just wear whatever, whether it's work or casual). One guy was wearing a suit, I was smart/casual as I'd just been shopping, everyone else was in joggers or jeans. I think all the information about wearing a suit or smart clothing might just be referring to the old style of interview where you had to do one with the recruiting officer, etc., or the one at selection, I really wouldn't overthink what you wear to the briefing.

From what I understand that's it, you wait for your medical, etc. to clear and you'll get a phonecall from them regarding a selection date and to do a pre-selection day with them to make sure you're ready. I wasn't told about a second or third 'formal interview' with an officer like people seemed to had to do in the past, I think the next interview will be on selection if I make it that far.

Last edited:
Had my F2F/Army Briefing today, for anyone else that's worried about it, don't be. I'm normally a nervous nelly but I was so at ease during it, I actually noticed how calm I was, lol. Hoping this is all public info as I wasn't told otherwise and there's nothing confidential so I'll just give everyone quick rundown incase you're worried.

Turned up to the AFCO, signed in, was taken to a waiting room with a couple of other people. They took my height/weight (although I was wearing boots so they clocked me in quite a bit taller than I am in reality) then ferried us into a little lecture hall (might be completely different but my AFCO is at a naval base). Corporal had a chat on with us while we waited for any late arrivals. 30~ minute presentation which basically just described the different types of roles in the army (1 minute~ vids on engineering roles, logistical roles, etc.), what to expect at phase 1, etc.

After that we were taken back to the waiting room to wait for our interviewer (who I believe is Capita personnel not army), although it only seemed like an interview because it takes place in a small interview room, it's super informal, he just asks about interests, work life, if parents/partner know, GCSE results, etc. (basically the info you filled in online) It was about 30 minute but, again, didn't feel like that at all. He explains the rest of the process (sending your forms down south, GP getting a pack to fill in, etc.) and perhaps what roles are suited for you. You don't need to take your quals don't with you, but you do need to take them to selection to verify so you don't need to sit the english/maths exam (I do wonder what you do while others are doing it, though). I'd recommend you do what I do and scan the sheet with the list of all your grades/subjects and save it to your google drive or the apple equivalent incase you're ever asked, as I just took my phone out and found the list and gave him the exact number and grades which I wouldn't have been able to do off the top of my head (again, this is info you fill in online so I guess it's not a disaster if you can't remember but you do get asked and it's only a 30 second job)

I went in not really having any desired jobs because I'm colourblind and am not sure what's available to me and what's not (there's lots of speculation and conflicting information online. Don't want to set my sights on a dream job to find out I'm never going to be able to do it), which he wasn't able to help me with but gave me a number to call (Not sure how useful the number will be since it's classed as medical information and they refuse to give it out over the phone), but my GCSEs are pretty good and I scored really well on the GTI (the cognitive test you do online at home through your portal, there's no testing done at the AFCO like your barb used to be, I believe).

Really friendly guy, and like I said I'm normally a mess during interviews but like everyone says, they aren't there to catch you out, their job is to actually recruit you, not scare you away. Whole thing was about an hour tops, although I'd already filled in all of my medical/optician forms, and completed all of the online tasking, which apparently the others hadn't done. He asked me about C-DRILS, which I don't think you're expected to know but I got all but one of them, I think he just mentions it because you might get asked at selection incase you didn't have a clue what it was.

In regards to attire, what they say on the website is probably the most accurate (just wear whatever, whether it's work or casual). One guy was wearing a suit, I was smart/casual as I'd just been shopping, everyone else was in joggers or jeans. I think all the information about wearing a suit or smart clothing might just be referring to the old style of interview where you had to do one with the recruiting officer, etc., or the one at selection, I really wouldn't overthink what you wear to the briefing.

From what I understand that's it, you wait for your medical, etc. to clear and you'll get a phonecall from them regarding a selection date and to do a pre-selection day with them to make sure you're ready. I wasn't told about a second or third 'formal interview' with an officer like people seemed to had to do in the past, I think the next interview will be on selection if I make it that far.
This is awesome, thank you so much for your reply! Really informative and useful. I wish you every success with your application!

Hi all
I need some help with this one question and I'm gonna tell you what it is the question is what do you know about the army and I'm figuring out what to say or answer

Many thanks

Hi all
I need some help with this one question and I'm gonna tell you what it is the question is what do you know about the army and I'm figuring out what to say or answer

Many thanks
I had my brief and was not asked on this. However, in my email telling me what to expect, it did say this would come up. I basically just looked into what operations the Army is currently doing, and past conflicts etc. Not sure what else to say,

I had my brief and was not asked on this. However, in my email telling me what to expect, it did say this would come up. I basically just looked into what operations the Army is currently doing, and past conflicts etc. Not sure what else to say,
Okay thank you

Hi all, i have my F2F/Brief tomorrow morning after only applying yesterday and I'm completely underprepared, any advice would be much appreciated
As long as you have a vague idea about the kind of job you want you won’t go wrong - the whole point of the brief is to talk to you about jobs, about the process, and what you need to do / learn.

It’s not an interview - it’s an opportunity for them to find out about you, and for you to get information from them.