Is the Army the answer?

You expressed a slight worry about your relationship with the kids. They’re 11 and 15, so capable of rational thought and discussion. Have you told them about your plans? If not you should. They probably won’t react quite so well to being told about it after the event. It’s a major step - for them as well as for you.

Other than that, I echo the general sentiments expressed already - go for it, and good luck!

JayDog

Swinger
You expressed a slight worry about your relationship with the kids. They’re 11 and 15, so capable of rational thought and discussion. Have you told them about your plans? If not you should. They probably won’t react quite so well to being told about it after the event. It’s a major step - for them as well as for you.

Other than that, I echo the general sentiments expressed already - go for it, and good luck!
Thank you. No I haven't said anything yet, that's going to be a tough conversation. We're very close and being away from them is going to kill me, but I've put it off for the last 12 years to watch them grow up. My youngest has just entered secondary school and my eldest preparing for his GCSEs next year. I need to do something for me now, I just hope they'll understand.

Thank you. No I haven't said anything yet, that's going to be a tough conversation. We're very close and being away from them is going to kill me, but I've put it off for the last 12 years to watch them grow up. My youngest has just entered secondary school and my eldest preparing for his GCSEs next year. I need to do something for me now, I just hope they'll understand.
Well, not just for you to be fair. You're doing something positive in your life which will set a better example for them than, by your report, they have had thus far. And you'll be bringing in a decent wage and starting to build a pension. All good stuff.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Just caught this thread.

@JayDog I like your attitude, and I guess other posters here do as well, no mean feat on this site I assure you.

You could be inspirational to others in your position, they do read the threads, but, they tell me, they feel foolish posting.

You can string a sentence together and you mentioned Mechanic, have a closer look at REME. There is some great trades there.

Despite how hard it appears in basic, life gets easier the longer you're in.

I really want you to do well and see you posting again about your journey.

Good luck.

I understand, but my fitness isn't anywhere near to standard. It needs a lot of work and I don't want to get the ball rolling just in case the process is quicker than I anticipate - if that makes sense.
Well I am glad to see you made a decision, good on yer! It is the best job in the world, we'll all tell you that regardless of how successful we have become, or what lofty heights have been reached after we left.

Start your fitness training today, well ok, saturday morning, nothing flash just start slow and build up and within a couple of weeks you will be banging out press up's and running three miles and within a month five miles will be no problem.............I am not joking, just push yourself a bit and you will see how easy it is.

As for kicking off the process.........get down today and start the ball rolling. Nothing will happen till after xmas anyway as the army likes to take xmas off too if they are not deployed. That will give you at least 2 months of fitness and to be honest if you can't run five miles, march ten ten miles and do a PT session after two months there is something wrong.

Go for it, and good luck. Or, as my PTI used to say, "You don't need luck, you just need fcuking self determination".

It's not just the physical side.
There is a huge mental pressure: limited sleep, trying to do unfamiliar things while being shouted at, not being able to do anything right while being shouted at, drill while being shouted at, generally being shouted at and being put under a lot of pressure to see if you can come up smiling and support your mates. It's not just long days and it is not physical arse kicking
The easiest way to get through this sort of thing is to not take it personally. Standing with the bin on your head being bawled out, with the contents of your locker just gone out the window, with an inspection early doors tomorrow isn't because your kit was gash, it was just your turn.

JayDog

Swinger
Just caught this thread.

@JayDog I like your attitude, and I guess other posters here do as well, no mean feat on this site I assure you.

You could be inspirational to others in your position, they do read the threads, but, they tell me, they feel foolish posting.

You can string a sentence together and you mentioned Mechanic, have a closer look at REME. There is some great trades there.

Despite how hard it appears in basic, life gets easier the longer you're in.

I really want you to do well and see you posting again about your journey.

Good luck.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I think I'd handle basic pretty well in terms of routine and instruction. I get a lot of stuff will become repetitive and monotonous but that's pretty much what my day job is like so nothing new there. I get there will be Corprals etc that may be 10+ years younger than me which I'm ok with - age is irrelevant which is great.

I will indeed have a closer look at REME, also considering Signals and Medical but who knows, it's early days and that'll be a conversation I have with the recruiter when the time comes.

I'll be sure to you keep you all posted.

Well I am glad to see you made a decision, good on yer! It is the best job in the world, we'll all tell you that regardless of how successful we have become, or what lofty heights have been reached after we left.

Start your fitness training today, well ok, saturday morning, nothing flash just start slow and build up and within a couple of weeks you will be banging out press up's and running three miles and within a month five miles will be no problem.............I am not joking, just push yourself a bit and you will see how easy it is.

As for kicking off the process.........get down today and start the ball rolling. Nothing will happen till after xmas anyway as the army likes to take xmas off too if they are not deployed. That will give you at least 2 months of fitness and to be honest if you can't run five miles, march ten ten miles and do a PT session after two months there is something wrong.

Go for it, and good luck. Or, as my PTI used to say, "You don't need luck, you just need fcuking self determination".
Appreciate the advice, but I'm going to wait til after Christmas at least, I still need to talk to my family and this will be very out of the blue so need some time to assure them why I've made this decision. I will get down to the office at some point, I assure you.

The easiest way to get through this sort of thing is to not take it personally. Standing with the bin on your head being bawled out, with the contents of your locker just gone out the window, with an inspection early doors tomorrow isn't because your kit was gash, it was just your turn.
I can take some bellowing, not a problem. I understand the rationale behind it, they want to break you down as an individual and build you all back up as a team, right? I'm all for that. I want to be a better person, and willing to embrace whatever is thrown at me.

Oh the bin of doom and the rattly stick :)

windswept398

Old-Salt
New Year?!
Go now, make your intentions known. It took me three months to get a start date and that was fifteen years ago. These days take far longer apparently. Plenty of time to get fit enough.

A lot of variables you won't have any control over, so stick your name in now.

Also, is your Mum fit?

I'm going to be straight up about the type of person I currently am; and that is a 31 year old father of 2 who lives with his mum, he's unfit, lazy, currently has no ambition and is likely to be stuck in a shit paid dead end job for the rest of his working life - Yep! that's me alright.

I don't just want, but I seriously NEED to get off my ass and finally make something of myself, if not only to show my kids (now 11 and 15) that their dad isn't a lazy poor excuse of a man. Long story short, about 10 years ago I had a good job as a Healthcare Asst, then I entered university TWICE to get into the health/medical profession, once to start training as a nurse (dropped out) then again to train as a radiographer (dropped out again). Since then I've suffered with depression and axienty causing me to lose all direction and a lot of self confidence.

Fast foward to the present day and I find myself as a cleaner in a gym (the free membership comes in handy now!) I've looked at many jobs and prospective careers and I just cannot see a future for myself on civvy street. I've been dreaming about joining the army on and off for the past year, but its a real psychological tug of war as to whether I should take it as a new opportunity to find out what I'm really capable of. I see it as a chance for me to rebuild my myself and learn new skills. What I struggle most with is the thought of being away from my kids long term, however, as they don't live with me full time they stay with me twice a week (wed-thurs and sat-sun), I'm just worried about how they might take not seeing me as much, and possibly, not at all for long periods.

I'm currently working on my fitness to potentially prepare and motivate myself should I make the decision to go for it. I know some of you will ask if I have considered the reserves - yes, I have - but I'd rather immerse myself in it completely and begin new chapter in my life rather than something I just do part time alongside my current job. In terms of roles, I have absolutely no idea; Medic is a possibility as phase 2 training would be in my home town and it still interests me despite past experiences, also considering Driver or VM (I drive but no mechanic experience).

With all that said, I need to make a decision pretty quickly as I'm not getting any younger. I seriously need to man up and finally do something with my pathetic life, I see the army as a new career in which I can improve myself as a person and also build a more financially secure future for myself and my kids. Question is; would it all be worth the sacrafices? I just do not know.

Edit: Please move this thread it would be best placed in a different sub-forum.
Even mediocre, fairly REMFy short term soldiers like me know full well they did something to be proud of.

As Johnson (not Boris) said: "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea".

...no mention of the Crabs there, the prescient bastard.

I assume you're not in the same house as your boys, if living with Mum, so someone else looks after them?

Go and do it, quick, Capita are in charge of recruiting and at your age you'll only have 20 odd years before you reach the TA age limit.

Edit, yeah is your Mum fit, and if you're off in basic, can we have your girlfriend's number? Keep her company like.

All joking aside, my kids are those ages and are proud of me, at least part of that is because of
If you're into women in their 50s then I'll leave you to decide - each to their own.

Above answer applies. Also that would be my now ex-girlfriend so fill your boots.

Gotta get what you can buddy, take it.

If Corbyn wins I'll be concerned, but for now, I can wait a little longer.

All joking aside, my kids are same age as yours (but I've got 20 years on you) and think well of me; looking back, i was - and am- enormously proud of my family members who served. Just did some history homework with my lad. Question 'what did your family do in WW2?' and it's definitely a thing, war or not. Half my family were on admin in South Africa but it's the thought that counts.

JayDog

Swinger
All joking aside, my kids are same age as yours (but I've got 20 years on you) and think well of me
That's reassuring. I just don't know how to even begin the conversation that I may be away from them for long periods, I'm dreading it to be honest, maybe I'm overthinking it.

That's reassuring. I just don't know how to even begin the conversation that I may be away from them for long periods, I'm dreading it to be honest, maybe I'm overthinking it.

Lots of jobs do that.

Mine are 189 miles away, Mon-Fri, people work in the ME, on ships, etc , and if you're in a decent relationship it's fine as long as they know you'll come home in an emergency, and deal with the work fallout later.

The Army will let you use a phone.

Internally, whistle "always look on the bright side of life..."

The_Duke

LE
MOD comment - it is getting really boring deleting posts from simpletons who can’t follow simple rules.

if your post isn’t accurate, current and helpful to the OP, it doesn’t belong here.

Points and ROPs for further transgressions.

JayDog

Swinger
if your post isn’t accurate, current and helpful to the OP, it doesn’t belong here.
I got a glimpse of that post and although it was removed I'd still like to pass comment...

I accept any constructive criticism, however, deciding to stay home to help raise my kids and watch them grow up has never been an excuse not to join, it was my decision to put their needs before my own. Now they are at a point where I feel they would be able to understand and rationalise my decision to pursue an army career. I don't think it's ever too late and I'm still within the upper age limit, so why not try. It's entirely possible I could completely flunk basic, but at least I'd have no regrets in trying.

Go to the careers office and start the process. You could always be fitter. You can always be better prepared. But tomorrow never comes. You'll have plenty of time to sort your phys out whilst going through the joining process.

Your kids will be proud.

I got a glimpse of that post and although it was removed I'd still like to pass comment...

I accept any constructive criticism, however, deciding to stay home to help raise my kids and watch them grow up has never been an excuse not to join, it was my decision to put their needs before my own. Now they are at a point where I feel they would be able to understand and rationalise my decision to pursue an army career. I don't think it's ever too late and I'm still within the upper age limit, so why not try. It's entirely possible I could completely flunk basic, but at least I'd have no regrets in trying.
A positive attitude is a prerequisite and you’ve obviously got plenty of it which will help you enormously. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Club Swinger The NAAFI Bar 23
R Army Reserve 90
Bad CO Armed Forces Jokes 7

Latest Threads