Is the Army the answer?

From what I’ve read, you may be rejected if you have experienced more than 2 significant episodes of depression. I’ve experienced one years ago and haven’t experienced it since as it was reactive to my circumstances at the time.
There are also conditions (and with depression it also depends on severity and overall length of episode) that require a set period of time to have expired since the treatment finished.
I'm not trying to put you off, as you should give it a go. Just be prepared for the potential for delays.

JayDog

Swinger
There are also conditions (and with depression it also depends on severity and overall length of episode) that require a set period of time to have expired since the treatment finished.
I'm not trying to put you off, as you should give it a go. Just be prepared for the potential for delays.
Yeh that’s understandable. I’ll definitely share that if/when I go down the careers office for a chat. Hopefully it won’t be a major issue.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm going to be straight up about the type of person I currently am; and that is a 31 year old father of 2 who lives with his mum, he's unfit, lazy, currently has no ambition and is likely to be stuck in a shit paid dead end job for the rest of his working life - Yep! that's me alright.

I don't just want, but I seriously NEED to get off my ass and finally make something of myself, if not only to show my kids (now 11 and 15) that their dad isn't a lazy poor excuse of a man. Long story short, about 10 years ago I had a good job as a Healthcare Asst, then I entered university TWICE to get into the health/medical profession, once to start training as a nurse (dropped out) then again to train as a radiographer (dropped out again). Since then I've suffered with depression and axienty causing me to lose all direction and a lot of self confidence.

Fast foward to the present day and I find myself as a cleaner in a gym (the free membership comes in handy now!) I've looked at many jobs and prospective careers and I just cannot see a future for myself on civvy street. I've been dreaming about joining the army on and off for the past year, but its a real psychological tug of war as to whether I should take it as a new opportunity to find out what I'm really capable of. I see it as a chance for me to rebuild my myself and learn new skills. What I struggle most with is the thought of being away from my kids long term, however, as they don't live with me full time they stay with me twice a week (wed-thurs and sat-sun), I'm just worried about how they might take not seeing me as much, and possibly, not at all for long periods.

I'm currently working on my fitness to potentially prepare and motivate myself should I make the decision to go for it. I know some of you will ask if I have considered the reserves - yes, I have - but I'd rather immerse myself in it completely and begin new chapter in my life rather than something I just do part time alongside my current job. In terms of roles, I have absolutely no idea; Medic is a possibility as phase 2 training would be in my home town and it still interests me despite past experiences, also considering Driver or VM (I drive but no mechanic experience).

With all that said, I need to make a decision pretty quickly as I'm not getting any younger. I seriously need to man up and finally do something with my pathetic life, I see the army as a new career in which I can improve myself as a person and also build a more financially secure future for myself and my kids. Question is; would it all be worth the sacrafices? I just do not know.

Edit: Please move this thread it would be best placed in a different sub-forum.
Give it your best go and, if it doesn't work, still take that positive attitude with you until you find somewhere where it will.

Generally, the happier you are, the happier those who depend on you will be and, if you don't like you the way you are, who else will?

Good luck to you.

Why is that? Not exactly expecting it to be a walk in the park so fully prepared to get my ass kicked. Well aware that it’s early mornings and late night I will probably struggle with, but it’s all about adapting to a new way of life which is what I want to do.
It's not just the physical side.
There is a huge mental pressure: limited sleep, trying to do unfamiliar things while being shouted at, not being able to do anything right while being shouted at, drill while being shouted at, generally being shouted at and being put under a lot of pressure to see if you can come up smiling and support your mates. It's not just long days and it is not physical arse kicking

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
There is a huge mental pressure: limited sleep, trying to do unfamiliar things while being shouted at, not being able to do anything right while being shouted at, drill while being shouted at, generally being shouted at and being put under a lot of pressure to see if you can come up smiling and support your mates. It's not just long days and it is not physical arse kicking
Yes, but joining a cult is never easy.

JayDog

Swinger
Fair point. In terms if being shouted at I don’t have any problem with that, I fully understand there’s a reason for it and accept it could be done by people younger than me. I know age would be irrelevant. I think I’d be able to cope with that.

From what I’ve read, you may be rejected if you have experienced more than 2 significant episodes of depression. I’ve experienced one years ago and haven’t experienced it since as it was reactive to my circumstances at the time.
Its all in the words you use. Don't go telling people you were suffering depression, just tell them it was a bit of a bad time for you.

Get yourself out and start beasting yourself, gently to start with and build up from there. Set yourself a realistic goal, or two for something like distance to be run and time to run it in..........AND DO IT. You seem to have the ability to give up at the drop of a hat, you don't need that or want it to be honest. LIke I said further back you can look back on life in two ways when you get older..........your choice which way you go.

If you are feeling a bit iffy about the regular's you can always go and stick your nose in the reserves to kick off.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Give it a go. It won't kill you.

Actually it might, but that's part of the deal.

JayDog

Swinger
Just returning to thank you all for your advice. I've made the decision and I'm going for it - you only live once. I'm giving myself some time to prepare ahead of time and work on my fitness. I'm doing more research into roles and will probably take a visit to the careers office in the new year. Despite my age, I'm in no rush to get it done immediately (I turned 32 since posting this). Working on my fitness is my main focus right now, then after the new year I'll head down and speak to a recruiter and get the ball rolling.

Wish me luck.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Good luck with it and remember, if you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined.

Long story that one pal, but I should say he's not mine biologically. I met his mother when he was 3 and have helped raised him ever since.
That's a positive right there.

Good luck in your new career. Try and surround yourself with other recruits that want to succeed and let the NCO's know that you want to succeed and listen to their advice, help them help you, and remember, whenever you think "screw this I'm out of here" - and you will think that - wait three days and ask yourself again.

Just returning to thank you all for your advice. I've made the decision and I'm going for it - you only live once. I'm giving myself some time to prepare ahead of time and work on my fitness. I'm doing more research into roles and will probably take a visit to the careers office in the new year. Despite my age, I'm in no rush to get it done immediately (I turned 32 since posting this). Working on my fitness is my main focus right now, then after the new year I'll head down and speak to a recruiter and get the ball rolling.

Wish me luck.
Good luck. I don't think you'll regret doing it.

I'm doing more research into roles and will probably take a visit to the careers office in the new year.
It's now mid Nov and a lot can happen between now and the New Year. If you genuinely want to do it, then don't allow any opportunity for the excuses to build - do it today!

Good luck.

JayDog

Swinger
It's now mid Nov and a lot can happen between now and the New Year. If you genuinely want to do it, then don't allow any opportunity for the excuses to build - do it today!

Good luck.
I understand, but my fitness isn't anywhere near to standard. It needs a lot of work and I don't want to get the ball rolling just in case the process is quicker than I anticipate - if that makes sense.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Long story that one pal, but I should say he's not mine biologically. I met his mother when he was 3 and have helped raised him ever since.
When you are at the careers office ask about the juniors. You could join up together.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Club Swinger The NAAFI Bar 23
R Army Reserve 90
Bad CO Armed Forces Jokes 7

Latest Threads