Is The Army The Answer? Part 2

Club Swinger

War Hero
It would appear that I have been thread banned from making further comments in the original post entitled "Is The Army The Answer?" The reason for this is more than likely because some harsh words given as a sort of 'tough love' approach thinking it would actually motivate the OP to get off his fecking arrse and get on with it instead of pontificating like fcuk and doing the square root of fuckall.

So as neither the moderator for the thread or the OP are responding to any messages, I thought I would share my disgust views and let everyone else decide whether the answere to the question, Is The Army The Answer? "YES or NO"

Happy to contribute further assuming I dont get thread banned from my own thread.

The OP's opening salvo is pasted below. Here is the link to the original thread.

You decide.

I'm going to be straight up about the type of person I currently am; and that is a 31 year old father of 2 who lives with his mum, he's unfit, lazy, currently has no ambition and is likely to be stuck in a shit paid dead end job for the rest of his working life - Yep! that's me alright.

I don't just want, but I seriously NEED to get off my ass and finally make something of myself, if not only to show my kids (now 11 and 15) that their dad isn't a lazy poor excuse of a man. Long story short, about 10 years ago I had a good job as a Healthcare Asst, then I entered university TWICE to get into the health/medical profession, once to start training as a nurse (dropped out) then again to train as a radiographer (dropped out again). Since then I've suffered with depression and axienty causing me to lose all direction and a lot of self confidence.

Fast foward to the present day and I find myself as a cleaner in a gym (the free membership comes in handy now!) I've looked at many jobs and prospective careers and I just cannot see a future for myself on civvy street. I've been dreaming about joining the army on and off for the past year, but its a real psychological tug of war as to whether I should take it as a new opportunity to find out what I'm really capable of. I see it as a chance for me to rebuild my myself and learn new skills. What I struggle most with is the thought of being away from my kids long term, however, as they don't live with me full time they stay with me twice a week (wed-thurs and sat-sun), I'm just worried about how they might take not seeing me as much, and possibly, not at all for long periods.

I'm currently working on my fitness to potentially prepare and motivate myself should I make the decision to go for it. I know some of you will ask if I have considered the reserves - yes, I have - but I'd rather immerse myself in it completely and begin new chapter in my life rather than something I just do part time alongside my current job. In terms of roles, I have absolutely no idea; Medic is a possibility as phase 2 training would be in my home town and it still interests me despite past experiences, also considering Driver or VM (I drive but no mechanic experience).

With all that said, I need to make a decision pretty quickly as I'm not getting any younger. I seriously need to man up and finally do something with my pathetic life, I see the army as a new career in which I can improve myself as a person and also build a more financially secure future for myself and my kids. Question is; would it all be worth the sacrafices? I just do not know.

Edit: Please move this thread it would be best placed in a different sub-forum.
gg

Robme

LE
I saw a TV programme years ago about Pools winners.
they centred on a guy who had won a lot and had opened a pub, which had gone bust, twice. The chap from littlewoods, said that opening a business post win rarely worked. As if you had the spirit to become a businessman you would have done so before you won the pools.
Personally I think you have answered your own question.

I'm currently working on my fitness to potentially prepare and motivate myself should I make the decision to go for it.
You're 31, you have a 15 year old, but you can't decide if you want to join the Army?

Stick your hand down the front of your pants, grab the nuts you managed to use to smash out two kids, and man the fuck up.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
No.

The OP s asking if he's being unreasonable in his response to the original thread in saying man up, pull yourself together etc.

He's quoted the original text posted back in September. The original OP has probably long gone.

Add to that, the recruiting forums have a much stricter code than the NAAFI.

I've moved this thread from the "Best of NAAFI".. an indicator that the OP of this particular thread is not quite au fait with the rules of ARRSE yet.

Anyway, that all being said, carry on.

Club Swinger

War Hero
You're 31, you have a 15 year old, but you can't decide if you want to join the Army?

Stick your hand down the front of your pants, grab the nuts you managed to use to smash out two kids, and man the **** up.
Those were my thoughts exactly, that's kind of what I told the OP of the original thread. Someone, probably the OP had a hissy fit, bit of a whinge so my comments were deleted. And as I am no longer able to vent my spleen to the OP in his original thread, I posted this. Mostly just to confirm to myself that I was not alone in my views, and therefore justified with my comments.

All of that notwithstanding I appreciate the comment from Boris_Johnson re the stricter code of conduct in the Recruiting section. Hence why I posted this in the NAAFI Bar section so we can really let rip on the wet fecking blanket that is...

Screenshot_20191122-231651_Firefox.jpg

Perhaps you should have recreated your response to his OP as well in your new OP.

That way we could all be apprised of just how un-wet, non-whingey, and well hard you are.

BigMac

Old-Salt
Just to be clear...

Someone creates a profile and joins a site to ask an (admittedly wet) question on recruiting in the recruiting section.

You respond by flexing your interweb muscles and showing 'tough love'.

You get thread banned.

You open a new thread with the sole purpose of 'letting rip' on a new member and to see if you are not alone in your views.

You seem like a great guy. Do you seek this level of vindication in other aspects of life or just when bullying?

The_Duke

LE
The rules of the recruiting board are there to allow potential recruits to ask questions that may seem “wet” to some other site members, but they want to ask.

The site owners wanted them to be able to do so. Their opinion trumps yours.

The OP didn’t moan, I applied the forum rules. You may not like it, but your opinion doesn’t change the rules.

You bitched and whined in your PMs. I didn’t reply because it isn’t up for discussion and there was nothing to be gained by discussing what had already been made clear. Your opinion was not going to change the rules or my application of them.

Are you getting the impression yet that your opinion doesn’t really matter? Good.

Last edited:

Nato123

War Hero
Just to be clear...

Someone creates a profile and joins a site to ask an (admittedly wet) question on recruiting in the recruiting section.

You get thread banned.

You open a new thread with the sole purpose of 'letting rip' on a new member and to see if you are not alone in your views.

You seem like a great guy. Do you seek this level of vindication in other aspects of life or just when bullying?

How old was the Op?...31?....not a silly 17 year old ....can you still get bullied at that age?

Some of us joined up because we wanted a life of fun with guns and camping - and were too young and stupid to know any better...this Op is a father and is still faffing about and his motives are plainly described.

Overall, he is a self confessed wishy washy wimp - Do you reckon that his are the best reasons for joining up?

In saying that, the rules for that forum as explained by the Duke are pretty clear

Was you bullied yourself perchance

I'll ask, is the thread going the way you thought?

ETA tosser

All of that notwithstanding I appreciate the comment from Boris_Johnson re the stricter code of conduct in the Recruiting section. Hence why I posted this in the NAAFI Bar section so we can really let rip on the wet fecking blanket that is...
I wouldn't say you were that much of a wet blanket, much more of an internet hardman.

Sympathy can be found in the dictionary. Seeing as you have been to University twice you should be able to find it. In case you cant its between shît and syphillis.

Club Swinger

War Hero
Just to be clear...

You get thread banned.

Yes thanks, that just about sums it up perfectly.

Club Swinger

War Hero
The rules of the recruiting board are there to allow potential recruits to ask questions that may seem “wet” to some other site members, but they want to ask.

The site owners wanted them to be able to do so. Their opinion trumps yours.

The OP didn’t moan, I applied the forum rules. You may not like it, but your opinion doesn’t change the rules.

You bitched and whined in your PMs. I didn’t reply because it isn’t up for discussion and there was nothing to be gained by discussing what had already been made clear. Your opinion was not going to change the rules or my application of them.

Are you getting the impression yet that your opinion doesn’t really matter? Good.
Thanks @The_Duke bitchfest over, I accept your ruling. Unfortunately I let my frustration at the OP's lack of steely resolve to make a decision that we all knew would be for the best get the better of me.

Consider my neck well and truly wound in.

Regards...

Latest Threads