Is the Army Officer Internship Program worth it?

Hi, I currently am in the recruitment process of being a Reserve Army Officer . I wanted to enquire as my C.S.M said it is most likely January 2022 I will be going to Sandhurst instead of this September, would it be better if I ask to apply for the current Army Officer Internship before 31st July?

I am not sure whether if I apply for the internship before the deadline, is it that applicants are also able to join Sandhurst for September 2021, or should I just stick to carrying on with my current Reserve Officer recruiting process instead?

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi, I currently am in the recruitment process of being a Reserve Army Officer . I wanted to enquire as my C.S.M said it is most likely January 2022 I will be going to Sandhurst instead of this September, would it be better if I ask to apply for the current Army Officer Internship before 31st July?

I am not sure whether if I apply for the internship before the deadline, is it that applicants are also able to join Sandhurst for September 2021, or should I just stick to carrying on with my current Reserve Officer recruiting process instead?
That seems incredibly quick for the Army recruitment process, which is in any case running slower because of COVID. The usual Internship program is apply no less than 9 months in advance (i.e. August-December 2021 to start September 2022) The chances of it completing all the hoops you have to jump through from application to starting in 4 weeks is about zero, I suspect.

But they are two different programs, so if you call up the various lines / offices and enquire about the Internship program, they are likely to be able to confirm for you.

That seems incredibly quick for the Army recruitment process, which is in any case running slower because of COVID. The usual Internship program is apply no less than 9 months in advance (i.e. August-December 2021 to start September 2022) The chances of it completing all the hoops you have to jump through from application to starting in 4 weeks is about zero, I suspect.

But they are two different programs, so if you call up the various lines / offices and enquire about the Internship program, they are likely to be able to confirm for you.
Thank you for your advice, just to query when you say there are two different programs do you mean like the Army Officer Internship & the Army Development Program or do you mean something else?

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thank you for your advice, just to query when you say there are two different programs do you mean like the Army Officer Internship & the Army Development Program or do you mean something else?
Reserve officer recruitment and the Army Officer Internship are two different systems. They might have the same start-point for recruitment, but they'll have different quotas and (I suspect) slightly different requirements. The internship is effectively full-time employment for a year, Reserve service is handled as part-time employment.

All recruitment material is going to point you to the same websites and phone numbers, but behind the scenes different recruitment paths will be handled by different people / offices.

Hi, I’ve been selected for an internship with the PARA’s. And the deadline for the internship program is 31st of December of the yr before so for this intake it was 31st December 2020. Thats so they can fit in medical, briefing, mainboard and regimental selection before the September reservist intake. So changing to it (assuming you have a mainboard pass) would leave you late to the party for getting a regiment. So it was probably unlikely possible to change that late.

Hopkins

Old-Salt
Hi, I’ve been selected for an internship with the PARA’s. And the deadline for the internship program is 31st of December of the yr before so for this intake it was 31st December 2020. Thats so they can fit in medical, briefing, mainboard and regimental selection before the September reservist intake. So changing to it (assuming you have a mainboard pass) would leave you late to the party for getting a regiment. So it was probably unlikely possible to change that late.

The Judd School always did have a decent cross country team. ;-)

Latest Threads