Is the Army in Breach of Minimum Wage Regulations

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Hootch, Oct 4, 2011.

Is the Army in Breach of the Minimum Wage

Poll closed Oct 24, 2011.
  1. Yes we are - but be quiet about it because Soldiers can be treated poorly

0 vote(s)
  2. Yes - but nothing wiil happen because the CoC has no morale courage to raise it

13 vote(s)
  3. No - we're not clock watching trade unionists

22 vote(s)
  4. Who cares - I'm in it for the dress up thing

13 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BBC is running with a minimum wage story at the moment BBC News - Working for less than the minimum wage and it got me thinking - is the Army in breach of these regulations?

In the case of a junior Tom on £47.00 a day in the TA, working 8-4, they are on £5.87 an hour. Ok if they are under 21, but what if they are over 21?

However, in the field we generally work longer hours - more like 12 to 16 hours a day. At 12 hours the Army is paying that TA soldier £3.91, dramatically below the minimum wage.

So .... are we in breach? Who is responsible - the Pl Comd? Pl Sgt? Coy Comd, CO? or Liam Fox.

Will we see clock watching introduced - we stop working when we breach a certain time limit ( like we do now for armoured vehicles).

vrf_rates_pay_2011-2012 Territory Army_non_commissioned - The Armed Forces Community

•£6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
    •£4.98 - the 18-20 rate
    •£3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
    •£2.60 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship
  2. No, because they are not governed by the minimum wage regulations.
  3. Interesting - genuine question - why?
  4. Because it get complicated when they are sat on their arse on a weekend but still getting paid.
  5. And we are not paid an hourly rate. But if you work 12 - 16 hours a day "in the field" do you go home for the hours you are not working? Hang on...don't answer that.
  6. Operational exigencies of the service.
  7. Section 37(1) of the National Minimum Wage Act states that members of HM Armed Forces do not qualify.

Given the considerable subsidies available to Forces personnel it's not as simple as in other jobs.
  8. Who is not entitled to the National Minimum Wage : Directgov - Employment

9. I knew there was a good reason for it.

Unlike some regulars I know that have made an art form out of sitting around for hours at the Medical Centre - record for one of my crew was four hours :)
  10. Pyianno/ BV_Tech - thanks for that.

A little unfair on the TA though as they do not get all the benefits ( and rightly so) - healthcare, SFA, CEA etc as they are part time workers.

So, if a TA junior were to work for 31 hours over a weekend ( Fri 1900 - Sun 1200 ) under min wage it would be £188.48 per weekend, instead they get £94.

Hardly an advert for the TA.
  11. They could always become a Special Constable and get paid nowt?
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Next you'll be complaining when the toms only get 2 days instead of 2.5 days for a weekend?

Back in your box theres a good fellow.
  13. So the minimum wage rules should also include voluntary work?
  14. less the 8-16 hrs that they would be asleep, plus doc another couple of hours for meal breaks and a bit more for showers and ablutions...then that weekend that they have a spot of AT, a smoker and a few pints, that's not work either...

...and it goes on...
  15. Your healtchare comment off target - when they get duty injuries they should get the full medical support.

I remember a few TA guys injured on duty. NHS told them they should get their physio etc. via the regulars since they were not civvie injured. As a result one is now classed as disabled (tortion testicles - no nuts) although it was admitted timely treatment could have avoided it. This was late 80s and it seems from your attitude this is still fair game.