Is the Army Going to Get Bigger?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gremlin, Dec 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

2. Yes, and we'll all get all the right kit and end of tour bonuses without losing money somewhere else at the same time.

3. Errr no: same article: "A spokesman stressed there were no immediate plans to expand the strength of the army."

The SoS thinks it will all be OK when the 1000s of troops who are apparently still in NI according to the MoD, come home after our glorious victory over PIRA.

4. Gremlin

Suprisingly I had actually read both articles and the post title was ironic, but never mind!

I posted this more to point out the serious miscommunication between Brown and his Ministry than for anyother reason.

5. errrr, yeah but, no but, yeah but, my reply was being ironic too!

:D

6. Gremlin

Shall we resort to sarcasm now then :) :D

7. What is going on? Hello left hand this is right hand!!!

It is about time that, that the mysterious spokesman from the MOD should step up and have the courage to say it loud and clear that HM Forces are overstretched and are not getting the support that Bliar has promised, either with equipment on OPs or monetarily from the budget managers. Oh yes and we could do with a few more Sappers to sort the tour interval out! I know the RE are not the only ones on a much less than 18 months tour cycle. Feel free to add your tales of woe!.

PS. If its not too much trouble could we have a bit of extra cash to pay the gas and electric bill too?

It may be time for CGS to open his mouth again, this time with more than a Cigarette paper between him and BLiar!!

8. Well we seem to have it from the horses mouth!
    The Times December 23, 2006
    Army capability
    Sir, Your headlines for an interview with the Defence Secretary (Dec 22) paint a misleading picture. It has long been our position, and the Defence Secretary reiterated it, that while we must ensure that the Armed Forces are able to succeed in the operations of today, we must also ensure they are able to meet tomorrow’s challenges.
    There are no plans to increase the size of the Army, and Mr Browne did not say today’s Army was “too small to cope”.
    JAMES CLARK
    Director of News
    Ministry of Defence

9. Okay then.

Armee

but I really think 4 letters is enough

christmas greetings to all and stay safe everyone

10. the army will get bigger when we join the european grand armee thats whats more likley

11. When I was but a lad, I realised something when New Labour came to power; it was about size.

At that age I had to accept, the chances of my penis growing anymore were about the same as that of the army growing.

12. the brittidh army will grow we will be a division in a continental army therefore we may be only a division but part of the soviet european union army

13. Perhaps it is oneofthose stories they put outto test the water. This time they are testing whether they will get away with the re-introduction of National Service

14. What we are seeing, IMHO, is a classic example of Labour spin. In the last few months, there have been dozens of headlines identifying major problems in the Forces. Now, as we approach Christmas, newspapers, radio and TV still have slots to fill and not much to fill them with. Cue the friendly Labour story generator which seeks to show that Ministers really are listening to what is happening on the streets.

It's crap, guys! Browne is on holiday and miles away, and has not been involved in that which bears his name. This is Labour spinning, trying to show that Browne cares and has plans to increase the size of the Forces by 20-30% before the next election.

However, his boss, Gordon Brown, is busy working out the NI peace dividend and how it will help him become PM in 2007. I reckon Defence will actually be cut by another 1-2% in real terms in the next year. Look at how Browne has treated the Ministry's Civil Servants over the last few months....

Just remember, if we do not receive at least a 3.9% pay rise next year, we will have probably suffered a pay cut!

Cynical? Moi?

Litotes

Edited because of alcohol.....

15. Pay cut it is then. There is no way the Army will get a pay award of more than 3.9% next year.