Is the army excempt from the DDA?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by matthew22, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All.

I have wanted to join the army ever since i was 14, im now 17. i have not been in the Careers Officer yet, but my problem is i was born with a missing foot.

I have no problems at all running etc and have been training hard. There is a guy near to where i live that is an amputee and he is still in the Army. Therefore my question is:

Am i barred from appling because i have a disability? if so, why? and how come this lad is still allowed to wear his uniform and remain in the Army?

Kind Regards
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Born with a missing foot? Surely you mean born without a foot? Or born with a foot missing?

You didn't get squeezed out and the doc thought "there's a missing foot somewhere round here"
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Is this a joke?

Honest answer, if you've got a missing foot, they won't let you in. If you had both feet and got in and lost one, the Army 'might' let you stay in.
    • Like Like x 1

4. No joke. I was born with a condition called Phocomelia. Although i am not as badly affected as most. I am only a below the knee amputee. I walk and run without problem and can even have abit of weight on my back too.

If i am barred, how can they let a soldier who's amputation is alot higher than mine stay in, and also work? I'm not trying to be funny or anything but i dont think its fair.
  5. I noticed you deleted your first response and then posted the exact same thing from this user name, better luck next time.

6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Because he's had thousands of pounds worth of training invested in him before his injury. He knows the unit, the system, he can still contribute. Some can't, and they do get discharged. However the Army aren't going to invest training in you as you're already extremely limited in the first place.

And putting the point across like you did - saying that if they won't let you in it's "unfair" and they should kick wounded soldiers out - makes you look a complete ****, in my opinion.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Life ain't fair.
  8. He's on a wind up guys ignore him.
  9. That was a given. Who is it?
  10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Some Iranian in Bangkok.
    • Like Like x 8

11. Go ask at the recruitment office, you will get the answer there. Once you've been told that you can't join, you can get your parents to spend their savings on getting a lawyer involved, the answer won't change. As been said before, injured guys and girls have had time and money invested in them prior to their injury, once the Army decide that they have no further use for the injured they will be let go.
  12. Read the thread wooden top :)
  13. That made me chuckle.
  14. Noted.
  15. I didn't think to take a screen shot, but a user who joined in 2008 and with the Royal Anglian capbadge as his avatar posted only to delete it and post the exact same message as matthew22.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.