Is Tesco Catterick not in th UK or summat???

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Chubby_Brown, Oct 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. why is it the rest of the country fuel prices are dropping by 3p a litre every other day, around 97.9p now, yet catterick garrison Tesco is still ripping off the local squaddies by charging 103.9. Of course they have started their 5p off a litre if you spend at least 75% of your wages in there but that doesn't match even the A1 garage.

I travel to darlington and fill up there, probably spending the saving on the way back and forward but at least I don't feel raped (as much). My point is I think it is blatant profitteering cos they know the soldiers all fill up there on a friday to get home. rant over.
  2. Tesco's are a little but devious in their fuel pricing anyway.
    Here (North Wales) they usually slip the price up a penny or two the evening before their 5pence a litre offer starts. I've seen them do it a couple of times, now I won't buy fuel there on prinicipal
  3. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

They have to keep Shirley Porter in the manner to which she's become accustomed.

Nice law-abiding lady, who's paid all those fines imposed on her. Not.

I won'd trade with Tesco in any shape or form until she does.
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Tesco were accused of charging higher fuel prices in some parts of NI than others. Their waffly explanation could be summed up as saying: 'we'll charge as much as we think we can get away with in any particular area'. I imagine the same applies in Catterick.
  5. What's a "summat"? Is it near the top of a mountain?
  6. The best way to deal with this situation is to vote with your feet. I doubt that it's aimed at squaddies per ce, they probably don't have much competition in Catterick so feel thay can get away with higher prices. Surely there are nearer garages than Darlo to fill up at?
  7. Tesco in Catterick Garrison have the monopoly on fuel sales in and around that area, that's why they charge what they like. No other reason, than there's a demand for fuel and it rocks up on the forecourt every minute of every day. They know that the customer will habitually go to the most convenient garage and that they (Tesco) can beat the smaller fuel outlets in that area on price, so as far as Catterick Garrison is concerned, there is no competition for them so they don't need drop their prices. That's pretty good business sense if you ask me. Unless you travel regularly to Darlo or the 'Boro, you're more or less tied to Tesco's 'lowest in the area' fuel prices and they know it.

Not only do you get stung on the forecourt but some of the staff there have a little fiddle going as well. If you use Tesco at the Garrison for fuel, always insist on your reciept, whether your 'Missus or your Mam' collects those points things or not. Certain members of the staff there won't offer you a reciept once you've told them that you don't have a Tesco Card, as they collect the points themselves, which means that you are paying for their cheap shopping (on top of the staff discounts they get). I for one object to their staff benefitting from my cash, just after they've just stung me on high fuel prices.
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not just at Catterick. Here in my area they are still charging £103.9 per litre, even though a garage 150 yds away is charging much less, and Morrisson's garage, about 2 miles away is at the 97p price.
    I believe it's because they have the superstore there, and realise that most shoppers won't want to drive any further than they have to.