Is society becoming risk averse

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by re-stilly, Jan 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Or is the UK becoming risk averse. It seems that nobody is willing to push themselves or take small risks any more. Personally I think this is leading us to become such a bunch of whinging, cry babies when anything like a flake of snow or it rains a bit happens.

• Like Like x 1
  2. But it leaves good opportunity for those who "man up, get on with the task in hand, without complaint" unless you work for the council where you will be seen as a trouble maker and duely sacked!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yes. It may be fear of the risk, but probably more fear of litigation though. Rules are now for the terminally stupid and the lowest common denominator, as people are not allowed to make their own minds up, and, probably more importantly, learn by their mistakes.

The freedoms I had as a kid in the 60s and 70s were far more than they have now.

4. Already become it, nation of whining Jessies and Milquetoasts, scared of their own shadows and wailing for Mummy Politics to wrap them in fleece blankets and make it all go away.

If I was a young man I'd emigrate tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nail on head! I was interviewing some young engineers for a position on one project, I always ask the question "what was your biggest mistake and how did you put it right" most old school engineers would regale you with such howlers in good humour, but a good solution was always on offer.

These ***** "erm, err eh" what was the question again! I am afirm beliver in "if you havent made a mistake or wrong decision you havent done anything"

6. It's already there & has been for sometime.

They reckon that all nations have a default setting, the UK's was reckoned to be anger. I think that might have been true once, but now it's been replaced with whinging.

7. This is true, I wonder how many of my colleagues who live a couple of miles away will not turn up today.

Jabber, I think you may be right. My missus wanted me to walk my daughter to her friends on Sat, this is about 800yds away. Just in case she fell over, my reply was she will be more careful next time and she can go on her own.

• Like Like x 2
  8. When I was a kid we used to walk to school on our own, climb trees, playgrounds had concrete bases and if you fell off a swing or a frame or something you didn't do it again! They have no idea now a days.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Society has been risk averse for some time, there are many reasons why. Litigation is certainly the main culprit, If a child slips on ice in the playground the school could be in court to justify why the school was open if they had (clearly) not ensured a safe environment. I grew up in the 80's, if you slipped and broke your arm you would have been bussed to hospital then laughed at on your return.
    The impact of this modern attitude is clear to see in my yokal newspaper website where readers can leave comments on stories. Some readers seem to think that even attempting to drive a car in 1cm of snow is like playing Russian Roulette with a nuclear bomb, some demand ambulances to be posted at 'official sledging locations' etc.
    My gast is well and truely flabbered.

Edited to add- I remember Ewan MacGregor saying something about these modern attitudes towards risk after completing his 'long way around' thing. His comments were roughly something like 'if we continue as we are future generations will not be able to cope with visiting foreign shores with any degree of safety because they will not have the ability to see dangers and act accordingly- they will have grown up assuming that everything is safe'.

10. Jabber and PF have both scored a direct hit. However this problem exists elsewhere in Europe as well. Too many do gooders in Govt and various authorities make a good living out of trying to protect us from ourselves.

11. Born in 1950,lived opposite an old colliery [Cwm Cynon] closed in late 40s,paradise for kids,winding gear,pumping houses, pit head baths all intact' although I still don`t know how we never killed ourselves with the stupid things we did.H&S would have a shit fit nowadays.

12. Lived near a dis-used quarry, same detail.....

13. Sunday, crossing a school playground where church is held. Snow everywhere but notices up "Beware slippery surface", people on the gate warning you about this bleeding obvious state. Two things there, 1: I can see for my self and manage but 2: the school had been closed on Friday but opened up for a hiring on Sunday. Risk management or profit?