Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is SNLR a dishonourable discharge?

I started at Catterick and loved it, got all my way to week 24 and was 2 weeks from passing out but got injured and sent to hook/williams company for 3 months and i was going to be back-squadded to week 9 and said no way in hell i was doing all the bull**** again, i asked for a UFAS or some form of a dishonourable discharge but they said since i had not done anything wrong and was passing all my tests they could not give me one. They did say if i was an "unhappy soldier" i could leave though it would just be under SNLR, i at the time said that was fine.

But since i've been out i wanted to join the reserves it says on my paperwork "any application to join the regular army could well be favourably received, any application to join the reserves forces may well be possible in a much shorter time frame.".

My Dad served in the Falklands and he told me after the war was over lots of lads got handed SNLRs to bin them without paying them, i was just wondering if i wanted to join the reserves would it be possible with an SNLR, even one that say if i wanted to rejoin it could well be favourably received?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
I started at Catterick and loved it, got all my way to week 24 and was 2 weeks from passing out but got injured and sent to hook/williams company for 3 months and i was going to be back-squadded to week 9 and said no way in hell i was doing all the bull**** again, i asked for a UFAS or some form of a dishonourable discharge but they said since i had not done anything wrong and was passing all my tests they could not give me one. They did say if i was an "unhappy soldier" i could leave though it would just be under SNLR, i at the time said that was fine.

But since i've been out i wanted to join the reserves it says on my paperwork "any application to join the regular army could well be favourably received, any application to join the reserves forces may well be possible in a much shorter time frame.".

My Dad served in the Falklands and he told me after the war was over lots of lads got handed SNLRs to bin them without paying them, i was just wondering if i wanted to join the reserves would it be possible with an SNLR, even one that say if i wanted to rejoin it could well be favourably received?
You're talking shite.

PM me for more details.

The_Duke

LE
MOD Comment.

Moved to reserve recruiting and pruned. Usual recruiting moderation rules apply. If you can’t provide an answer which is helpful, relevant and accurate then head back to the NAAFI.

Last edited:

Troy

LE
Services No Longer Required (SLNR) is the Army version of getting laid off, sort of like redundancy.

Less honourable is; Not Required For Further Army Service (NRFAS).

I'm with you there Bro. Good call.

Catterick was absolutely awful. I wrote a strongly worded letter of complaint to my MP regarding my treatment there.

The toast machine was impossibly slow, and they made me share a room with 7 strangers. Some of them were even from the North of England. The horror of it. The chap in the next bed space snored loudly, and when I politely asked him to roll on to his side he told me to '**** off you Mouthy Southy!" in a strange accent. He was from Nottingham. I think it's near Scotland. I was desperate to make a friend, so I lent my new steam iron to a fellow who then burned the carpet with it, leaving melted plastic on the base. When I pointed this out he just laughed!

Things went from bad to worse. The NAAFI store did not stock my favourite Quinoa and Oatmeal trailbars, and they only had the milk chocolate Bounty Bars, which give me indigestion. On top of this all the directing staff were really impatient, shouty and uncouth. I once had to take orders from a Welshman.

I telephoned my mother and demanded that she come and rescue me at once. She refused. We haven't spoken since... she is dead to me now.

I blame the Army for the way my life has unravelled since basic training, and so should you. Contact Leigh Day solicitors for a no win-no fee consultation, although even they told me to fark off.

Reality Check

In all seriousness, lots of civilian employers would have payed you nothing while you were too injured to work, then chinned you off after a couple of weeks. Her Madge gave you another chance because they must have seen potential in you.
Even though things suck, sometimes you need to suck it up and take the long view. A few extra weeks out of lifetime is of no real consequence in relation to the benefits it could bring. You WILL look back in time and realise that you may have missed out on an opportunity.

You said you loved the job. I ******* hate my job with a passion, and am having to spend time and money to dig myself out of it. Do something you enjoy.

The_Duke

LE
Apply and find out. From the comments you posted, there is no reason you couldn’t reapply to either regular or reserve although with different “cooling off” periods.

I am talking about 36 years ago, but certainly then you could rejoin or join the TA with a SNLR. I had SNLR but exemplary on my red discharge book, and was told I could rejoin full or part time (but I didn't - idiot).

Randy McStab

Old-Salt
You should have got a discharge code. Easy enough to look up mate. Most reserve recruitment people are pretty friendly to be honest. If we can't help, we will be very nice about it. Come and give the Army another go. Start working on your fitness slowly in the mean time, using the Army getting ready page. Worry not.

fusilier50

War Hero
yes you can join the reserves with a SNLR on your records. Its an open door to rejoin at a later date when you have had a chance to rethink. We have recently had 2 lads join us who were SNLR.

Latest Threads