Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is SAS survival secrets correct about level of training?

James907

On ROPS
On ROPs
In SAS survival secrets 'firearms' training it was said that 'in the regular units soldiers often do not fire more than a few rounds there entire career, however in the SAS they practice shooting daily'

Is this true?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Which bit?

Quite possibly. I only had to fire my weapon annually and often could avoid even that.
I was a technician in the REME though so that was expected.

In SAS survival secrets 'firearms' training it was said that 'in the regular units soldiers often do not fire more than a few rounds there entire career, however in the SAS they practice shooting daily'

Is this true?

Even I know that it's "guns for show, knives for a pro".

They're called Blades for a reason...

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Right at the beginning of this clip
Do you mean the clip or the mag? ;)
You quoted two scenario's both or one or neither could be correct, as always 'it depends', the reality is that neither are an accurate reflection over a long period but could be for a snapshot in time. It's a Youtube video, like the 'news' things are skewed and emphasised to get you to watch it.

ETA In 2009 for example, regular units were putting thousands of rounds down every day, yet SF spent barely any time at all on the ranges - this contradicts your two statements but isn't an accurate record of events.

Last edited:
Just get back to CoD* and you can shoot daily to your heart's content

*Other games such as post sctiptum and battlefield are available

Uh huh.

[Cough] sock [cough]

[whispers] Play along, play along.

Na. Im joining intelligence corps soon. I just hope the firearm training is really good.

Yeah, its good; moving targets, dropping targets, laser sights, extended magazines, shoulder holsters [snigger]. Be aware though unless you score over 90% you don't get one of the fleet Astons from the MT for your weekends off.

Latest Threads