Is REME going downhill???

Discussion in 'REME' started by ArmySurplusSpecial, Nov 4, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what is happening to the reme?? Having served 12 years it seems to me that for the last 4-5 years we are on a slippery slope, we dont get looked after by our own, the perks that the recruiter could say to potential reme chaps have gone, ie faster promtion, better pay etc. were all undermanned, we work with little thanks. MCM do little to get us what we want where we want it. Am i just cynical or does anyone out there agree with me?? As a result i have just signed off as i cannot see myself pushing out another 10-11 years till i finish. And thats as a artisan Sgt, hopefully the grass will be much greener on the other side.

2. I don't think the REME is going downhill

You ask if you are getting cynical and my reply to that would be "Yes' Your perception is that REME is going downhill, this was my perception 12 years ago. Indeed I could have written the very same thing back then as I was going through the door marked "OUT". So in reality you have changed - REME has not.

Is the grass greener? It can be if you make it that way- but its like a well kept lawn - you have to work at keeping it greener, otherwise its full of weeds and turns brown very quickly.

BlackHand

PS Being a VMB helps - even civvies hate VMA :) :)

3. :lol:

may i be cynical again?! I think you should re think your nick name! i dont know many squatters who have black hands! :wink: thought that was reserved for the A mechs amongst us!

being serious tho, i do beleive it has changed. if you got out 12 years ago then i would think that it was a great corps to be a part of as it was when i first joined around that time and indeed for a few years afterwards. many people who i speak to nearing the end of their careers say if they didnt have so little time left to do they would sack it. surely that speaks for itself? :?

4. So by that statement, squatters WITH blackhands are VMA :?: BlackHand is something of a misnomer as I have not had black hands for a very long time - I turned my lawn nice and green :)

But I digress - It would be interesting to see the perception of some one joining REME today. I bet they do not have the same jaded view that you (and I) developed over the years. Twelve years ago people were saying to me how lucky I was to be getting out and that they would do the same if they did not have only 5 - 6 - 7 years to push. So no change there

I take on your points regarding undermanning etc - but that's not just REME that's accross the whole Army, is it not?

5. Thankyou! Everyone the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers is DEAD!!!!!!! Long Live the new DEME(A)' rules. That is Till the next one that is!!

6. im glad to hear your lawn is doing well! i hope mine will too!!

i suppose when you put it like that then not much has changed! maybe i was just keener in my younger days and didnt notice things too much!
    i do have a suspicion tho that you had a bigger reason for leaving when u did, ie redundancy?? cant say i blame you, im sure many more would go if they were silly enough to bring any more in! :lol:

7. I have known a few people think this, got out to start a new life and who are now back in the regs after finding that the qualifications they had picked up in the army, were not worth the paper they were written on. Not even to mention the rates of pay they couldnt live on.....

It seems that civilian employers do not understand what people who have spent time on the regulars can offer them. I see this almost every week being at a TA unit, where ex regulars opt to join the TA for a bit of easy extra cash, and the £1500 bounty bonus each year.....

a bit of food for thought..

8. To really answer this question you have to ask the following question:
    Who gets paid the most, the operator who delivers the eqpt for repair but has to leave because he's got football/rugby/ballet trg or the tradesman who fixes the item, tests it and gets it out inspected before leaving it in the 'out park' because there is no-one still at work to collect it......? In the case of the majority of eqpt the guy who only works part time (and not the guy who works unpaid overtime) brings home the bacon.

Goodbye REME, I am afraid whole fleet mgmt is too little too late, worse the powers that be really messed up with Pay (cut) 2000 and even though that mistake is now blindingly apparant they do not have the drive to rectify the problem!

9. Well for my tuppence worth - there is far too much emphasis on abbreviated names, agencies, civilian structure, catchy managerisms's, restructuring and good ol' fashioned empire building. This I feel is driven by officers who are the only ones who seem to know what the f**k is going on !!! - 11 years in REME and I certainly don't !!!. Downhill ? - we are F**king vertical my friends.

Abbreviations ? - try reading Craftsman and understanding the editorials !!.

10. Of course the Corps is dying. When you bring in WFM, DEME(A) Eng Stds and the bloddy 411 at the same time. Its like being tw*ted by Mike Tyson!

Have you noticed how many REME Officers are either transferring or resigning recently? IF not WAKE UP, they're leaving a bucket loads!!!
    This is a clear indicator that somethings up. What message does that send to the yound Crafties and Lance Jacks?

Anyone for the AGC?

11. NO !

it's already gone down to the bottom.

Let's face it, it was doomed from the second I left.
    :)

TTFN

BFG

12. REME went down hill years ago.
    Even before I joined.
    The CO of the regiment that I recieved my Artisan Staffy rank slide from, was appalled at how REME treat their Non Artificers.
    Whilst I was in, I enjoyed fixing things, and helping other people fix things.
    That is the one and only unique good thing, in my opinion about REME. :?

13. I transfered into the REME because (at the time) it was a good corps to be in.

My how that has changed!

Funny enough, every serious problem seems to come from MCM Div, and the rest of the problems guys tend to have come from the occasional kn*bber who happens to be in charge at the time.

But what can we do? If the guy in charge is a dick, we just have to lump it. If the dick in charge has done something serious, then we have the redress procedure - which is a WASTE OF TIME because the redressee never gets a fair trial, as he is invariably a junior rank and has to then explain himself to the CSM, RSM, etc etc. An external agency should be called in to deal with all redress complaints.

And if the problem has been caused by Glasgow, well you might as well forget it, say goodbye to any posting you asked for, forget about getting promoted on time, and (my biggest hate) forget about getting your correct pay!

A message for Glasgow (and all pay clerks as well!) - We dont want to be told "Just think of the backpay" - We want the money when we have earnt it! Backpay just means that YOU HAVE F*CKED UP YET AGAIN!

14. Nothing wrong with the concept of WFM or DES, both should have happened years ago so they could have had time to develope into something worthwhile.
    The 411 is DEME(A)'s attempt to put into practice the direction given in the Logistic review. Even DEME(A) has masters who tell him what to do!
    The 411 in its current guise will fail because the workload heaped onto IST's will be so great that people will never be in camp and the Battallions own workload will never get done. As a result, more pissed off tradesmen who leave to get some quality of life.

15. REME WAS GIVEN TO THE ARMY BY GOD, BUT LIKE ALL THINGS THE CREATOR GAVE TO THE ARMY SOME CIVI FUC*ED IT UP.

I AM AND ALWAYS WILL BE A CORP MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH BUT IN MY HUMBLE OPINION THE CORP WENT ON A SLIPPERY SLOPE TO HELL THE DAY IT MOVED TO GLASGOW.

AND OF COURSE THE DAY I LEFT, WHICH WAS DUE TO A CIVI IN GLASGOW BULIDING AN EMPIRE ON THE "WHEN I WAS IN THE ARMY" BOOK OF DIRECTION. SO IN REPLY I WOULD SAY THE ONLY WAY TO CHANGE THINGS WOULD BE FOR A LAD OR WORKSHOP TO UNITE AND FIGHT OUR CORP'S CORNER IN PARLIMENT BY WRITING TO AS MANY MP'S AS POSS.

LONG LIVE THE CORP AND DOWN WITH MANAGEMENT BUZZ WORDS