Is Recovery Mechanic any good ?

Hi folks, im 18 and looking to apply for recovery mechanic as one of my 3 options, just wanted to get to know the role a little better and talk to those who have actually been a recovery mechanic them selfs. A little info about me, i flopped my GCSEs predictably, got 3 on everything, i have level 1 and 2 in light vehicle maintenance and a family who doesn't want me killing anybody (Christian family). the 3 options i chose was,

- ROYAL LOGISTIC CORPS Driver
- vehicle mechanic
- recovery mechanic

also do you get sent out to places like the middle east ?

cheers, Dan

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Dan, I suggest you look at the information on the Army website, the REME websites and talk to a recruiter.

Soldier first, tradesman second, and as a trained soldier, you will be called upon in times of war to act like one, and possibly find your self up at the sharp end, the worst case scenario is, it's either you, or him, your religious beliefs count for feck all in a fire fight. Good luck with whatever trade or pathway you choose...soldier!

Hi folks, im 18 and looking to apply for recovery mechanic as one of my 3 options, just wanted to get to know the role a little better and talk to those who have actually been a recovery mechanic them selfs. A little info about me, i flopped my GCSEs predictably, got 3 on everything, i have level 1 and 2 in light vehicle maintenance and a family who doesn't want me killing anybody (Christian family). the 3 options i chose was,

- vehicle mechanic
- recovery mechanic

cheers, Dan
Joining the Armed Forces means that you will have some connection of taking human life. Admittedly there are trades where such direct action may be unlikely, but it is possible. Only you can weigh your conscience. The trades you have listed have all been involved in firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Have you looked at the RAF and RN? Admittedly, you may be involved in preparing an aircraft or ship to take human life, but it’s a little more detached.

Dan, I suggest you look at the information on the Army website, the REME websites and talk to a recruiter.
Hi Grownup_Rafbrat, i have had a look on the website and spoken to a recruiter, i have a general idea on what a recovery mechanic does, but i was hoping to get a first-hand account on what it is to be a recovery mechanic out in the field by someone who has been in the role,

Joining the Armed Forces means that you will have some connection of taking human life. Admittedly there are trades where such direct action may be unlikely, but it is possible. Only you can weigh your conscience. The trades you have listed have all been involved in firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Have you looked at the RAF and RN? Admittedly, you may be involved in preparing an aircraft or ship to take human life, but it’s a little more detached.
Hi dingerr, i am not too worried about taking a human life to protect my self or others, but i would rather not choose a role where frontline combat is 100% certainty if that makes any sense,

- vehicle mechanic
- recovery mechanic

cheers, Dan
it can ruin your mental health,?

my mate does car recovery & he always feels like he's heading towards a break down

Faded

Clanker
Hi Grownup_Rafbrat, i have had a look on the website and spoken to a recruiter, i have a general idea on what a recovery mechanic does, but i was hoping to get a first-hand account on what it is to be a recovery mechanic out in the field by someone who has been in the role,

Hi dingerr, i am not too worried about taking a human life to protect my self or others, but i would rather not choose a role where frontline combat is 100% certainty if that makes any sense,
I'd avoid the Army and even the Navy if that's the case. There is a documentary on YouTube where you can see how close the above trades got into contact in Afghanistan. Although the Navy hasn't really been in 'frontline' combat like the Army they have had moments in Libya, Gulf Wars and so on.

The RAF may well keep you away from the front the most, but you need to be honest about your views on combat and going to war because the time to decide isn't when you unexpectedly find yourself about to deploy to a war zone.

My neighbour's son was a reccy mech until a couple of years ago.
He said it was absolute dog toffee.

He served in two or three different units, Germany on the Challenger recovery, and UK with 16AA, doing 'lighter' stuff.

Wherever it was, whatever the unit, getting tits deep in water and mud to hook up and drag out a 'casualty' was always the same. Sh1t.

He had a strong love - hate relationship with tanks, always bumping and banging on the stick out bits, and fear of losing fingers in the gaps, but quite liked getting dried out on the hot engine decks.

He had hoped going airborne would see less of that, but it was the same old same old, with Phys thrown in instead of power drinking in Germany.

Euclid

War Hero
As a recovery bloke you’ll be everyone’s favourite. The photo collections some of them had of all the jobs they’d carried out were something to behold.

As for not killing anyone - have you seen an RLC driver behind the wheel of a tank-transporter?

Euclid

War Hero
My neighbour's son was a reccy mech until a couple of years ago.
He said it was absolute dog toffee.

He served in two or three different units, Germany on the Challenger recovery, and UK with 16AA, doing 'lighter' stuff.

Wherever it was, whatever the unit, getting tits deep in water and mud to hook up and drag out a 'casualty' was always the same. Sh1t.

He had a strong love - hate relationship with tanks, always bumping and banging on the stick out bits, and fear of losing fingers in the gaps, but quite liked getting dried out on the hot engine decks.

He had hoped going airborne would see less of that, but it was the same old same old, with Phys thrown in instead of power drinking in Germany.
Yep - sounds like the life of a reccy mech in an armd regt. But plenty of time in the Sqn harbour area with the BVs on from what I could see.

As a recovery bloke you’ll be everyone’s favourite. The photo collections some of them had of all the jobs they’d carried out were something to behold.

As for not killing anyone - have you seen an RLC driver behind the wheel of a tank-transporter?
Hi, Euclid :) i would be particularly interested in the RLC driver role, sounds like fun, could you also tell me more about the Recovery mechanic role, cheers

is there any particular role within the RLC that allows you to do drive certain vehicles as ones you described or is it a mixture of vehicles

Euclid

War Hero
Best go on the REME bit of Arrse. I’ve only ever been a customer for reccy mechs but can vouch for them being good blokes. Can’t offer much of an insight into the RLC I’m afraid.

NemoIII

War Hero
Hi, Euclid :) i would be particularly interested in the RLC driver role, sounds like fun, could you also tell me more about the Recovery mechanic role, cheers
I dont have a clue what a 3 is in terms of qualification? Is this enough to get in as a VM or Recce Mech?

@dingerr was RLC and might be able to help with questions there.

If you have the required qualifications to go VM or Recce Mech then I personally would suggest you try out for either one of them. The role of a Recce Mech has already been explained to you really and it pretty much is what it says on the tin.

However your opening statement about wanting to be away from combat? You should be looking at RAF roles if you want to REDUCE the chances of seeing combat.

Euclid

War Hero
I dont have a clue what a 3 is in terms of qualification? Is this enough to get in as a VM or Recce Mech?

@dingerr was RLC and might be able to help with questions there.

If you have the required qualifications to go VM or Recce Mech then I personally would suggest you try out for either one of them. The role of a Recce Mech has already been explained to you really and it pretty much is what it says on the tin.

However your opening statement about wanting to be away from combat? You should be looking at RAF roles if you want to REDUCE the chances of seeing combat.
Agree - the RAF Regiment would be a good choice for war dodging.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

- vehicle mechanic
- recovery mechanic

cheers, Dan
FFS, don't become an RLC Chef then!

Its truly awful, avoid.

If you’ve got a penchant for fixing things then look at the various REME trades, if you haven’t got the scores for REME and want to go RLC, have a look at Port Operator.

diesel_jim

Swinger
My old LAD (TA) unit, we had a mix mach of trades.... VM and recce mech would often crew the same wagon. "unnoficially" the VM's would help on recoveries, and the recce mechs were fully badged up VM's, and VE's
Even our armourer and ins-tec would come out and play in the mud.

Latest Threads