• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Is PRB the worst camp in world

is PRB the worst camp ever

  • yes too many people there

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    1
#1
following on from other posts, this seems appropriate. PRB is over-populated and has very poor infra-structure. the recreation & leisure facilities are amongst the poorest i've seen - there is almost nothing for tps/dependents to do. its the only camp i know that's got so many people inside the wire (essentially 1 Hq & sig Sqn, 4 regts and various lodger-units)

the Gym has been improved recently but is still not up to scratch for the number of people
the swimming pool has been empty for 2 yrs.
Getting into/out of camp is a lottery
the cinema is straight out of bad-lads army, and when its open its sh!te. It seems to be permannetly closed?
the Base Admin/BFG staff are permanently overstretched with too many people
there's one tiny NAAFI with only 2 tills (only ever 1 open) where there's always a huge queue, often right around the shop
the on camp 'facilities' naafi finance, ogirkes etc are without doubt the rudest in BFG

the hive and various welfare offices concentrate on families, little or nothing is done for the singlies, nothing is ever advertised suitable for singlies, eg local attractions, restraunts, pubs/clubs cinemas etc.

Granted the new Z type accon is very smart, but accon in the WO/Sgts' & Officers' Mess is well below par.

Any thoughts on this place?
can it be improved?
or is it being ignored with a view to relocating elsewhere - if so, why build the new Z types?
 
#3
sadly, MSR, i've moved on to pastures new

Rest assured, when i was there i led 2 overseas expeds, numerous w/e trips away and appoved funding / support for other activities such as cultural trips to european cities, trips to auswitzch/dachaeu, skiing etc.

these were not one offs or twice a yr, but i mandated each Tp would lead an activity once a month. fortunately i was supported by top SNCOs and good Tp Comds.
 
#4
Kaiser_Sose said:
Hmmmmm, and I'd also heard that a certain 'red-tab' up the road was keen to sqeeze 12 in too.
Actually, nobody else from 12 is being squeezed into PRB, less a few LAD personnel. The Task Sqns will come from 1 & 2, with a further Sqn remaining in Abingdon UFN. The RHQ et al will locate in Osnabruck.

Basing is a real issue at the mo, particularly with the aspiration to move 102X back and 8 regt out etc etc....i can't keep up anymore...its nearly lunch time i'm going to tescos...'cos i can!
 
#5
I'm with you Goon, PRB is the worst camp I've ever had the misfortune of being posted to. The facilities are bad and to make matters worse it's a pretty souless place with no character. The road passing PRB is also a death trap - I know of at least three service personnel killed on the stretch between Top Patch and the camp in the 18 months I was based there.
 
#7
The only thing wrong with PRB is its full of truck drivers and blanket stackers. And of course more butch lesbians than the Romanian Olympic female shot putt team.
 
#8
You poor people, being posted to such a nasty horrible camp. Thank the lord that i have had the fortune to be posted to such well built and facility laden places such as Dulmen, Keogh, St Omer, Herford...............
 
#9
drain_sniffer said:
You poor people, being posted to such a nasty horrible camp. Thank the lord that i have had the fortune to be posted to such well built and facility laden places such as Dulmen, Keogh, St Omer, Herford...............
the difference being at those aforemetioned establishements is that they don't have approx 3000 pax crammed in such a small piece of real estate, and, the point Gonzo makes about the dangerous road is very true.

there was once a speed camera, it has however been removed.

i hope plans are afoot for traffic calming betwen the camp, top-patch and the super improved pads-NAAFI and family complex otherwise i predict more tragic RTAs.

similarly, guetersloh is an utter dive and completely soul-less where, despite the €millons per year inject from the British, you'll never get anything more than a luke-warm welcome.
 
#10
I spent 3 very happy years there when the RAF had it - I went back for my resettlement and couldn't believe how much it had changed for the worse !!!
 
#11
The local Gütersloh population was always like that, but if you really make the effort you can break the ice. I can also see the point of how it was different when the RAF were there, but even after they went there was a Golf Course, Swimming Pool, Ski Slope, Skeet Shooting Club, Motocross Club, Sub Aqua Club, Football Club, Rugby Club etc. Not exactly what you'd call no facilities even if the army has let some of them slip.

You are also withing a short drive of Paderborn where there is a Parachute Centre, Equestrian Centre amongst other things. You aren't too far from Winterburg for the skiing or the Mohnesee for windsurfing and sailing either. Maybe you'd be happy with a posting to Fally or Hohne and you can spend some time with all their facilities?
 
#14
Are all the women who work in the PRI in PRB still all honeys? Used to really brighten my day that; trip to the Red Fred, some shopping and a bit of letching!
 
#18
goon_bde said:
following on from other posts, this seems appropriate. PRB is over-populated and has very poor infra-structure. the recreation & leisure facilities are amongst the poorest i've seen - there is almost nothing for tps/dependents to do. its the only camp i know that's got so many people inside the wire (essentially 1 Hq & sig Sqn, 4 regts and various lodger-units)

the Gym has been improved recently but is still not up to scratch for the number of people
the swimming pool has been empty for 2 yrs.
Getting into/out of camp is a lottery
the cinema is straight out of bad-lads army, and when its open its sh!te. It seems to be permannetly closed?
the Base Admin/BFG staff are permanently overstretched with too many people
there's one tiny NAAFI with only 2 tills (only ever 1 open) where there's always a huge queue, often right around the shop
the on camp 'facilities' naafi finance, ogirkes etc are without doubt the rudest in BFG

the hive and various welfare offices concentrate on families, little or nothing is done for the singlies, nothing is ever advertised suitable for singlies, eg local attractions, restraunts, pubs/clubs cinemas etc.

Granted the new Z type accon is very smart, but accon in the WO/Sgts' & Officers' Mess is well below par.

Any thoughts on this place?
can it be improved?
or is it being ignored with a view to relocating elsewhere - if so, why build the new Z types?
Apparently you did not even know that there are two camps named PRB... :roll:
 
#19
hellfyyr said:
Apparently you did not even know that there are two camps named PRB... :roll:
I can see where confusion could arise from:

1) Princess Royal Barracks Gutersloh aka PRB

or

2) Princess Royal Barracks near Camberley Surrey aka Deepcut aka Blackdown Camp aka the School of Log aka the School of Failure aka Deepsh!t aka the RTEEF battle run aka the Corps HQ aka the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

I can't recall the last time I heard anyone refer to the latter as PRB!
 

Latest Threads