Is posting yourself in uniform just a new evolution in grief-whoring?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_C_Hinecap, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Every man and his dog is changing their profile picture on Facebook to one of them in uniform 'to show solidarity / respect etc to the unnamed soldier who died'.

Really? WTF? Is this the new display of grief these days? Is this a new one since Wootton Bassett lost it's place in the heart of the nation when Lyneham closed? I accept that the stiff upper lip often caused a lot of pent up problems, but changing your profile picture achieves exactly sweet FA of NOTHING - zero, nada.

Even if Facebook had been invented, none of this shite would have happened before the death of Diana. Nobody needs to change their picture - if the other members of the Forces don't know that you care just by being part of the extended family, then there is something very wrong with it now. There was a time when the Armed Forces carried themselves with a calm and understated dignity. Now they just demonstrate poor persec. A further sign that we're getting very soft.

• Like Like x 8
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I disagree entirely with your view. I feel that those people who are changing their pictures are saying "Me too, and I'm not afraid to come forward "

Its similar to the episode of the "I'm Harry T-shirts" when Capt Wales was on his first Herrick.

• Like Like x 18
  3. Firstly - it isn't saying 'me too'. It is the same as people thinking that clicking 'Like' changes anything. It doesn't. It is lazy and uncalled for.

It isn't the same as the Harry t-shirts. Not at all. That's like saying wearing a Help for Heroes t-shirt is the same as being on ops. Only it is less than that. It is a Facebook picture change - nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rambo is ALWAYS in uniform.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I see it as a good thing, even if the effect is the rebonding of mates from good and hard times past. Nothing to do with grief whoring its about pride and feeling proud enough to say yes I served and that should not be hidden from public sight.

• Like Like x 12
  6. Yeah, really.

If you don't like it, why not go on the internet and complain? Or leave BookFace?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Its an opinion. Some people have done it as a show of solidarity, a statement of "we are not going to hide because of this act". Don't like it, don't look, ignore it, and go about your day....

• Like Like x 2
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Really? I think you're missing the point.

• Like Like x 2
  9. For some reason emotional incontinence is sweeping the nation, ever since Diana people feel obliged to set up shit roadside shrines when some chav offs himself and teddy bear and flower displays when some kid is hurt. Inarticulate morons unable to do anything else than turn to the internet for a mindless display of grief whoring.

The words Get a Grip have never been more appropriate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Like the OP - I don't feel the need to change my profile picture and share pictures of the fallen and 'like' the many grief pages created in his honour. Nor do I wish to clog every one else's news feed with yet another picture of a half-mast Union Flag.

Some people are angry, some are outraged. Some are optimistic that this is the wake-up call this soft nation needs to get a grip. Some are pessemis... pescimis... lacking hope that anything will change and we'll carry on normal jogging to the next time.

But we all deal with it in different ways. And if posting pictures, sharing pages and having a rant amongst what essentially are their FB friends, helps them to deal with their emotion - then rather that than them join some right-wing looney organisation and feed directly into the hands of the 'martyrs'.

Each to their own I say. Either way, their outrage, grief-whoring, call it what you will, has no adverse effect on my life.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Thank you for taking the time to tell us.

12. It all smacks of "Look at Me!" syndrome to me.

13. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

...and thank you for taking the time to thank me for taking the time to tell you :)

14. I've changed mine, but it's the usual suspect wearing a Union Flag as a bandana.

I looked like I was dressed by Oxfam when I wore uniform anyway.

One size fits all........

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'm waiting for the mass lighting of Chinese lanterns before I call "grief whore" properly. I'm not bothered about profile pictures, it's the non-stop EDL crap and "deport them" mong posts that annoy me. I had no idea I had so many thick ***** on my FB - deleting them has given me pleasure.

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.