Is possible to start train with the TA and the RMR at the same time?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by baron411, Nov 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I just wondered if anyone had an answer to the question "Is it possible to join the RMR and the TA at the same time?"

Thanks in advanced for you advice, and thanks in advanced to the nob heads who seem to think they own the forum and will no doubt be chomping at the bit to give me some "witty" comments and have us all in stitches.

2. Why would you want to join both at the same time?

3. msr

msr LE

Short answer: no

4. Or join the TA then ask your SPSI {Runs off to sit on the naughty step}

:eek:)

5. thanks Ooooh Matron & MSR, I just had a look at the 131 Independent Commando Squadron RE (V) website, but all units are too far for me to get to allowing for work during hte week, thanks anyway though, thats descent of you. MSR, could you furnish me with the long answer?

Many thanks

6. msr

msr LE

long answer: no. I can't see how you can be in the army and the navy at the same time, unless you are talking about a certain club in London.

Why do you want to do both?

7. No need to bother msr I can give you the long answer too.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    yoooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan't

8. Thanks Spacehopper, thats exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, unfortunately it is again in Plymouth, I live in Farnham in Surrey, anything more local? Portsmouth RMR is doable, also there is a TA unit PWRR in Farnham itself, unfortunately I am torn between the two.

9. royal marine reserve means getting up to commando level of fitness in your own time while holding down a civvy job and a much greater commitment than a normal TA unit.
    go see both

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Plenty from that neck of the woods make the journey to White City or Croydon to parade with 4 Para. If you want RMR, then find a way to make the journey. If you can't find a way to get a few miles down the road then you just don't want it enough.

11. Its nothing to do with giving "witty" comments, but more about applying common sense

If your interested in the RMR (or 4 Para, 23/21 for that matter) your looking at dedicating a year of your life to that cause. Thats training every second weekend, every Tuesday night and in your own time you looking at training 5 days a week at an intense level. How, if your working your arse off for that could you possibly fit in training somewhere else? How would you incorporate your much needed rest days? How would you explain to your instructors that you are 100% dedicated to your Unit, Coy, Battalion if your splitting yourself between two? The RMR also have different methods of operating and a different language than the Army - do you think you could possibly juggle both effectively?

So other than the official line that you cannot be a member of both the Army and Navy at the same time, there is also the common sense approach that would say its just not feasible.

If your 'torn' between the two then look as advised at joining an Army Commando Unit. IMO however you came on here straight on the defensive, so I think you knew it was a bone question to begin with.

Perhaps if you could explain what your aims are and what your looking for, we could give you a better idea of where you should look.

12. Great decision making skills there Baron Numbnuts. Can't decide between the two? Simple, I'll join both.
    I take it you're an advocate of bigamy too huh?