Is P coy really that easy???

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and Im in the application process for both the Royal Marines and the Parachute Regiment. I always wanted to join the Para's but Im really torn now as Ive heard that P Coy is just an attendence course and Id get a much greater sense of achievement by doing the commando course. Also, Ive heard that the Royal Marines are generally better trained and more competent at soldiering.

Any Advice??

No honestly,

I know someone in 4PARA, he said that P COY was very easy and really disappointed that it didnt challenge him. Thats why Im thinking about the Royal Marines.

A WAH is a mechanism whereby an unsuspecting and often kind hearted member of.... oh...wait... i've just remembered we're on RED WAH-LERT.

I'm off to fetch my personal body wah-mour, shouldn't be out here without it...

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
P Coy is actually easier than the adventure training weekends in one of the simpler regiments. You'll find it a walk-over.

I do however think that someone has told you a bit of a porky about the Commando course though. It's not actually any harder than the Para course, but you are required to use your noggin a little bit (not much though).

For either one of these courses, you just need to make sure you can jog a couple of miles with, say, 5lb of weight on your back within a reasonable sort of time, and make sure you can do at least 10 pressups.

There's a few guys and gals on here that have done one course or the other, and will confirm that there is a disappointment factor in either one - this being that it's simply not hard enough.

There's guys who have been running 10 milers with 40-60lb of weight on their backs, expecting the course to be much harder than it actually is, only to find out that they've been over-training, and would have been better going straight into the SAS instead - which is a little bit harder than either the Commando Course OR the Para Course.

Father_Gundulph said:
A WAH is a mechanism whereby an unsuspecting and often kind hearted member of.... oh...wait... i've just remembered we're on RED WAH-LERT.

I'm off to fetch my personal body wah-mour, shouldn't be out here without it...
I dont knnow what a WAH is, All I want to know is how easy is P COY. I'm reasonably fit and just dont want to turn up and feel let down if I dont break a sweat.

Honestly - How hard can it be?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Sounds genuine to me. PM Fas-et-gloria or Flash. They can er, fill you in on the finer points.

scaleyfcuker said:
I smell a seahat, fcuk off back to rum ration!
Im not a Royal, I just want to serve and feel proud to be in a unit that doesn't let any old Bod in. I always thought the Para's were fit and aspired to do PCOY but my 4PARA mate has really called this into question. Also, is it not true that the RM basic at CTCRMis the longest infantry basic training course in NATO, surely that makes them superior in the field?

20/20 said:
No honestly,

I know someone in 4PARA, he said that P COY was very easy and really disappointed that it didnt challenge him. Thats why Im thinking about the Royal Marines.
I'll bite - are you talking TA or regular? I know people who've done both TA Para and RMR (and loads who've done one or the other) and the two have done both said TA Para was much more straightforward than RMR. But that was maybe just them - RMR for athletes, P Coy for the daring and determined, as a broad, sweeping generalisation - that will probably bring incoming :D . I know somebody who failed TA Para twice (an officer) - knocked senseless milling and crippled on log and (especially) stretcher: try being tall on a stretcher if you want to know what suffering is.

Most regulars will tell you that the final course is less of an issue than than what preceded it. Depot Para used to be 'kin awful by all accounts - brutal beyond belief. The regular marines I've spoken to also suffered far more before the tests than during them.