Is Old Bill Going to Get a Raw Deal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whet, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems that pay cuts for PCs are on the way, and the Home secretary is additionally demanding a pay freeze for the next two years.

As if that wasn't enough, Call Me Dave has today said that "the police were being let down by a system that has far too many officers in back-office roles". This after sending a 'hot knife' through those back room jobs and therefore forcing police officers to carry them out.

Another nail in policings coffin (the final one?) is that next week sees a review of police wages and conditions where Tom Winsor will consider cuts to overtime payments, and housing and travel allowances, and will also suggest changes to shift patterns, and procedures for retirement and redundancy.

So, will these actions give us a more efficient police service, or will it all end in tears?

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

for what they do now they should be on piece work. its horrendously inefficient in an mod sort of way.

just like everything else though the front line grunts end up jobless while the non jobs which cost five times as much to pay and administer will carry on as normal because no one wants to get rid of the bloke in the next office while there are faceless minions to dispose of

3. The cuts have already started. We have lost the Special Priority Payment (£1k pa). It was halved last year and is being totally abolished this FY. I personally feel that we have got to accept cuts coming. There is no doubt we get paid well for what we do; we are luckier than most, at least we have job security.
    I am certain that as well as losing allowances, we will have our pensions attacked. I envisage contributions rising from 11% to 15% (that will cost me about £120 pm) I can wear that, as long as they leave our gratuity and monthly pension alone. But that's far from certain. Whichever way you look at it, we are in for a hard time.

4. Let's get things straight, the Tories are in charge unless you have a lot of money, you will probably end up worse off. Interest rates will probably increase so if you've lots of money stashed you'll do well. If you have a mortgage you'll do badly.
    I imagine some income tax breaks will come in the last two years after they have cut things and then we can give it all back to them when we shop at Tesco's are wherever else people buy things from. As for the Police well they'll be cut same as everybody else.

5. I imagine an overtime ban 1st, followed by a buyout of overtime rights making PC's and sergeants salaried similar to what happened with the Inspectors a while back. With overtime pretty much gone this will suddenly look attractive to the rank and file.

The only problem is that the job will then own them. Its only costs that restrain police managers from making officers work overtime. With that inhibition gone (probably for about £3k p.a) it'll be like Christmas for them.

6. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Well, until all 'diversity consultants', 'communications' creatures, gay horse champions, ACPO fetishists and other similar blights on public safety are culled, I'm very happy to accept that there is great slack in the system and cuts, big, slashing Berserker with a double-headed axe-style cuts, are in order. In fact, I would slash to ribbons any Service which did not immediately rebadge as a Force and declare that it was no longer going to enforce the programme of national thought policing inflicted by the last shower and inexplicably maintained by the current one.

7. Don't worry ploddies. There's a few seasons of discontent coming and it'll be over-time, over-time and colourful expense claims. Just like the good old days of militant miners.

8. Here the "Thing" why not get rid of all the Community Officers as they are about as much use as a Chocolate Fire Guard, if a Police Force has a 1000 of them by Mag to Griding them that could fund at least 500 PC's with money left over. Oh yes PC's can actual arrest folk.

9. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Just because that happened under Labour doesn't mean it has to happen under the Coalition (I presume you're familiar with the relevant income disparity data during the reigns of Tony and Gord).

10. If a certain political party hadnt pissed a large sum of money up the wall, then maybe the cuts wouldnt even be happening. What do you expect the Tories to do? Carry on borrowing? Print some more money?

11. Yeah, heaven forbid that they get to go home.

12. So what is the normal working shift for a uniformed officer on front line duty? Is it still just eight hours with a 45 min 'refs' break in the middle?

Perhaps a change to the shift system nurses use would be in order?

Just asking

13. here is an idea, sack the county police forces and have one UK police force, there fore you only need one chief of police, you can cut down on the number of backroom jobs. None of this across border crap, one central intelligence system.

Or is that to simple.

14. No mate, most farces are using something similar to 6 on 4 off (10hr shifts) or 4 on 4 off (12hr shifts) there is no set regulation for breaks it's just take as and when.

I recently spoke to a mukka of mine from my old farce who says he barely has time to piss at the moment, let alone stop for grub. That's before the cuts really bite too. I imagine he's going to be busier than a 1 legged man in an arrse kicking contest when they come in.

15. Too many empires for that to happen mate. The limited company that is ACPO won't like it and it would fly in the face of the governments local police commissioner plans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.