Is Nothing Easy Anymore?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
A couple of things happened today which restored my faith in human nature but made me worried for others who might not be so lucky.

Firstly I managed to bollox the car on Sunday evening and was told by the very very nice AA man that it was write off. Thankfully partner came round today, changed wheel, assessed damage, and reckoned he could fix the suspension, cost for parts about 30 quid, labour nothing, we got it back on the road and proved that it was drivable with some caveats until fixed.

Secondly I visited solicitor today with paperwork, necessary certificates and everything filled in to the best of my knowledge to allow me to sell my mother's property and downsize. I went with some trepidation as I foresaw some hitch or difficulty. The solicitor seemed to be amazed that I'd managed to fill in some forms and made her job easier. Wtf??

Secondly I visited solicitor today with paperwork, necessary certificates and everything filled in to the best of my knowledge to allow me to sell my mother's property and downsize. I went with some trepidation as I foresaw some hitch or difficulty. The solicitor seemed to be amazed that I'd managed to fill in some forms and made her job easier. Wtf??
Another one to watch out for are probate legal services. Basically the hard part of sorting out a will (this one being my late father's will, a couple of years ago) is dealing with various financial institutions. When someone croaks it, obtain a dozen copies of each major piece of documentation, and do it as they are issued because it is much cheaper then.

The Government side of things here is strangely the easiest bit of the lot: one online form and the Powers That Be know someone's dead and stop all benefits, pensions and whatnot (which you need to do, because the DSS have a special department called "Recovery from Estates" whose job it is to get overpaid benefits back off dead peoples' estates). Banks, building societies, investments and the like vary hugely. Some are efficient, some act as though they've never even heard of the concept of a customer dying. Most react quite favourably to a Letter of Instruction, which is a letter with that at the top, signed by all executors, and detailing who has died and what you want to happen.

Once you've got all of this load of bumf together, paid off whatever needs paying and estimated how much stuff like houses are worth and so on, then you stick all of this onto an application for probate form and let the Probate-wallahs decide. The thing is, these legal firms who are trying to charge you a minimum of a couple of grand for this aren't going to do any of the running round, acquiring data and sorting stuff out; they aim to fill in the form and snigger all the way to the bank.

Filling forms in isn't difficult. If you photocopy them and give yourself a couple of photocopies to practice filling them out on, it becomes really easy, especially if you're not trying to lie to the government (not generally a good idea, lying to government; they aren't completely daft).

Another one to watch out for are probate legal services. Basically the hard part of sorting out a will (this one being my late father's will, a couple of years ago) is dealing with various financial institutions. When someone croaks it, obtain a dozen copies of each major piece of documentation, and do it as they are issued because it is much cheaper then.

The Government side of things here is strangely the easiest bit of the lot: one online form and the Powers That Be know someone's dead and stop all benefits, pensions and whatnot (which you need to do, because the DSS have a special department called "Recovery from Estates" whose job it is to get overpaid benefits back off dead peoples' estates). Banks, building societies, investments and the like vary hugely. Some are efficient, some act as though they've never even heard of the concept of a customer dying. Most react quite favourably to a Letter of Instruction, which is a letter with that at the top, signed by all executors, and detailing who has died and what you want to happen.

Once you've got all of this load of bumf together, paid off whatever needs paying and estimated how much stuff like houses are worth and so on, then you stick all of this onto an application for probate form and let the Probate-wallahs decide. The thing is, these legal firms who are trying to charge you a minimum of a couple of grand for this aren't going to do any of the running round, acquiring data and sorting stuff out; they aim to fill in the form and snigger all the way to the bank.

Filling forms in isn't difficult. If you photocopy them and give yourself a couple of photocopies to practice filling them out on, it becomes really easy, especially if you're not trying to lie to the government (not generally a good idea, lying to government; they aren't completely daft).

Yup, you have to provide all the info to give to those bloody snakes, so they can fill in the form and trouser a couple of grand for nothing.

When my mother died, my wife was so angry with the solicitor's attitude, she did a quick Google, sorted it all out, I nipped up to Newcastle on the bus....... they actually checked the form out in front of me, then said they'd send out a letter within a couple of weeks for me to return and pick up and sign the paperwork...... piece of cake.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I did make an attempt to contact the car insurers this morning and THAT wasn't easy. I spoke to three separate individuals in attempt to get through to the right department, and ended up back where I started, listening to musical shite and recorded messages.

They can bastarding well contact me if they want something.

Energy companies.

I've put the opening shots of this one on another thread but here goes anyway.

Moved into a place last December. Energy company being difficult because the serial No. on the meter doesn't match those on their records.
Could it be their records are incorrect and just rely on us updating out usage every month with photographic evidence? Yes, but will they bollux do that.

They keep sending us projections for our energy usage that indicate we are recreating Nikola Tesla's experiments on a daily basis. Several thousand a year as opposed to the ~£100 a month we budgeted for. Even when they received our meter readings they still insisted we should be using at least £400 a month and something must be wrong.

Finally received a bill due to threats of going elsewhere based on the readings received.
Bill came to £600 plus change for the 7 month period. No problem there. Tried to change the Direct Debit to start paying off the amount. We would like to up our DD to £100 a month please?
"I'm sorry, the MINIMUM you can increase your DD to is £340 a month."

OVO can take a flying fcuk at the moon, we're taking our business elsewhere.

A couple of things happened today which restored my faith in human nature but made me worried for others who might not be so lucky.

Firstly I managed to bollox the car on Sunday evening and was told by the very very nice AA man that it was write off. Thankfully partner came round today, changed wheel, assessed damage, and reckoned he could fix the suspension, cost for parts about 30 quid, labour nothing, we got it back on the road and proved that it was drivable with some caveats until fixed.

Don't worry, mucker, you know deep down that Karma's got something really juicy lined up for you, waiting in the wings.

Not usually, my daughter had to check up on an employee who was suspected of stealing, the silly girl had no privacy settings everything was open, including the pictures of stuff she nicked
the only way an employer could find your stuff is to be a friend or contact
unless they are employing some dodgy people, in which case you dont want to work for them
Google your name and see what comes up
A couple of years ago 2 idiots broke into the building where my daughter does dancing. The teachers had kept laptops and other expensive kit in a locker. This couple stole it and other items and within a few hours listed it all for a quick sale on the local FB page. Needless to say they were caught red-handed.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I did make an attempt to contact the car insurers this morning and THAT wasn't easy. I spoke to three separate individuals in attempt to get through to the right department, and ended up back where I started, listening to musical shite and recorded messages.

Even if you dont claim they might raise your premiums
if no other vehicle was involved, make sure they know you have had the car repaired at your own expense

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

Write them a letter and send it recorded delivery
that really pisses them off as they have to sit and read it and then scan or type it onto their database

I left BT after they disconnected my phone and BB. My crime? To go on holiday for 3 weeks. FFS the useless twats didnt apologise just said I would have to buy a new router, the fact that the old one was new didnt seem to sink in and they were adamant that I had cancelled my contract. I went to plusnet for a year and have been with Talk Talk (AOL) ever since. Its been fairly good and I dont ever need to call them!
It was talktalk that did that to me, I went to plusnet and talktalk kept hassling me for money for an account that they cancelled. Numerous phone calls promised to sort it but didn't so I sent a snotty letter and copies of all correspondence to the chief executive to finally sort it!

I have to admit that dealing with car/truck insurance over here has never been a hassle for me. Last year while waiting in a line of stationary vehicles at a junction the young lady in the car behind me, who was really really busy on her phone looking for a nice Chinese restaurant managed to hit the back of my truck with her car.

She couldn't deny it because I had it all on the rear view camera. Got home and called the insurance company, chose option 3 for report an accident and got put straight through to a very nice helpful lady. Tells her what happen, she says not a problem and just email them a copy of the Police report.

Two days later truck was in to be fixed, loaner truck to cover the days waiting for the insurance assessor to look at it and waiting for replacement rear bumper, had it back in 5 days. The pisser was I had the truck less than a week before silly wee girl clobbered it with her vehicle.

She ended up getting a ticket for distracted driving (undue care and attention) which will sure as hell double her insurance.

Lots of good answers given so far, but none strike me as properly answering the OP question.

This is how I see it.

Originally a job or a task or a procedure was done in a particular sequence by a "chain" of people. Whatever the job, office work, workshop work, on site work, just whatever.

Person A would do a bit or a "thing", then person B, followed by person C then person D and so on. Sometimes things went the other way; from D to A too, but the general trend is usually from A to D and so on until the "thing" or process was complete. It would make a simple flow-chart, but as it's so simple to follow, you don't need one.

However, what has gradually happened is that person D, asks and whinges for person C to do some extra thing, or different aspect in order to help D cope with his workload. Then person C has a big moan to the boss that person B should also do this "little extra bit", in order to speed up person C's difficult job. Then person B has a right moan, throws a strop, and demands that person A has to also make a change to how he does stuff, to make it easier for person B to cope.

And so on. Imagine this happening on a large scale along a large chain of people or events. Each predecessor having to do a bit extra so that someone else can do a bit less.

Well, this has been happening gradually over the last, say, 30 years. Now it's even reached the point where tasks have even been passed on down the chain to the customer! For example, supermarkets have introduced self service checkouts. What's next? should we fill the shelves too? At the bank I had a query that I took to my branch of HSBC only to be told; "What you have to do is...." "Err no" I said to that, "I don't actually work for HSBC, I'm the customer. I don't HAVE to do any such thing". But the point is, it's now so commonly accepted that tasks can even be passed on to the customer. British Gas expects me to read my meter and text it to them. OK, I can do these things but that isn't the point. It's the task shifting that I'm speaking of.

The way I see it the cause is several fold. In no particular order it stems from: Computers in the workplace has changed how people work and communicate. Women in the workplace, each doing a bit less while some bloke has to do a bit more. For example, expecting a bloke to leave his desk to deal with goods inwards deliveries, moving anything heavy, and much, much else besides.

I could go on but I'm sure you all get the gist...
I have a keypad meter for my electricity and once a month give or take a day and I put £70 on it so I have therefore paid my bill in advance yet still get a twat knocking my door who is ignored if I am in and then he leaves a card looking my meter reading which is also ignored. They have no need to read my meter as I pay up front and this same guy calls quarter in quarter out this past 81/2 years I have had the meter fitted. Box ticking twat could find the usage at his head office and work it out to within a few pence/units.

Box ticking twat could find the usage at his head office and work it out to within a few pence/units.
The guy who is sent to attempt to read your meter is more than likely pretty low down in the corporate food chain, the "box ticking twats" are likely the people a fair few pay grades above your meter reader. Meter reader like most folks is just trying to earn a living, not his fault if some corporate type above him wants him to read your meter.

Bone question alert!

My OH is extremely cautious about social media, and often mentions the fact that potential employers always go straight to your facebook profile.

As far as I know, my privacy settings are such that only bona fide friends/people I know personally, can see my stuff.

Can potential employers circumvent this?
If a company can harvest your data from it I dont see how a large company or goverment type job could not, I know that my "government aligned" company can access your fakebook account if you had one. I used to have an account and my employer did send an HR type out to mention in passing a couple of posts I had made although I had done nothing wrong as I had not mentioned them (the company). My account was pretty locked down also so I am guessing they had some access. Dont have that problem as I shut the account down although it took about 2 years before I could completely delete it. I cant be 100% certain they accessed my account legitimately but looks that way.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I know that my "government aligned" company can access your fakebook account if you had one.
Operation Bute (the RMP search for Katrice Lee) can't.

I owned a green car a couple of years before she disappeared, went to scrap (probably Tin City) but never got taken off the CPO BAOR register. RMP had a new lead, a bloke with a green car.

They contacted me. I pointed out over the phone that the car was long gone when Katrice went missing. They already knew (I contacted Op Bute the day it opened. My alibi was perfect, I was working with RMP that day) but had to be seen to go through the motions.

Coincidentally (and sadly), my best mucker had died a few months earlier and I'd put up a pic on FB of us on my wedding day, he being best man).

They had a photofit of the person of interest. I'd been married three months before Katrice disappeared (moved into a quarter two days before). Could I provide a picture?

I gave him the FB link. No joy. In the end I emailed it to him.

They're now happy.