Is No Deal the new Millennium Bug?

All they have to do is hold things up for an extra 24 to 48 hours to raise hell with today’s logistical system. You have to stop thinking Zombie Apoc and realize you won’t be going full Mad Max. But delays cost money, and shrinking profit margins cost jobs.
Why should there be any delay?
There's been no mention of export controls at the continental channel ports.
The only reason for any delay would be due to checks in the UK & I cannot see them being imposed in the immediate aftermath of a hard exit.

Gosh, yes. @Ho2331 wants rationing, and you're encouraging us to Dig for Victory! By 'eck, that's the Dunkirk Spirit, fight off the invasion of all those foreigners and stop the sun setting on the British Empire! What next, you'll be telling us to reduce our dependency on material imports by donating our spare pots, pans, and ornamental ironwork to the steelworkers?

I swear, it's like watching Al Murray do his Pub Landlord thing... to an audience who think he's serious.
If you believe even a tenth of the wibble you're spouting, then hysterical would be a good adjective to apply, in both meanings.

Why should there be any delay?
There's been no mention of export controls at the continental channel ports.
The only reason for any delay would be due to checks in the UK & I cannot see them being imposed in the immediate aftermath of a hard exit.
How Imperial’s findings on post-Brexit borders caught the eyes of politicians | Imperial News | Imperial College London

You will have them, because the playbook has been thrown out of the window.

If it takes 4-5 mins to clear a vehicle instead of 2, it does add up.

You should see what happens here when a major interstate is shut down. Hundreds of miles of trucks on the side of the road and hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars not going anywhere.

How Imperial’s findings on post-Brexit borders caught the eyes of politicians | Imperial News | Imperial College London

You should see what happens here when a major interstate is shut down. Hundreds of miles of trucks on the side of the road and hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars not going anywhere.
How long do you think it would last for if, and it is a big if, it ever happened. The market and technology would sort it in short order. To my mind it is a plus not a minus anyway, things like this should concentrate people's minds as to the almighty cock-ups big government is prone to. We can do better with a bit of good old capitalist, commercial, cooperation. WTO ….way to go.

I can’t believe some people are seriously positing ideas of tacit blockades and making comparisons to the nineteen fifties. I watched the absurdly hysterical BBC news reports yesterday. Behind the big headlines, they were talking about possible delays in getting things like lettuce and champagne in the supermarkets, the latter much to the anticipated delight of a purveyor of English wines in Kent.
Potential delay seems to be read as definite delay.

Anybody who knows about the theory of queuing will realise worse case scenario they’ll have to make one extra delivery to overcome any potential delay. After that, they’ll still get the stuff through without a problem.

It’s almost as if people have forgotten about refrigerated transport.

You're still basing that on a possible delay - one that can be removed by carrying on without change in the immediate aftermath of leaving the EU, which you appear incapable of comprehending.

Sheesh.:roll:

Gosh, yes. @Ho2331 wants rationing, and you're encouraging us to Dig for Victory! By 'eck, that's the Dunkirk Spirit, fight off the invasion of all those foreigners and stop the sun setting on the British Empire! What next, you'll be telling us to reduce our dependency on material imports by donating our spare pots, pans, and ornamental ironwork to the steelworkers?

I swear, it's like watching Al Murray do his Pub Landlord thing... to an audience who think he's serious.
Nice attempt at a straw man argument. I’m sure that what you imagined I said and your response makes some sort of vague sense to you. You were the one who was making potential comparisons to rationing, my own somewhat tongue in cheek response was in answer to the many hysterical postulations such as yours. Let’s just say I don’t see a return to ration coupons, rickets and scurvy anytime soon.

You're still basing that on a possible delay - one that can be removed by carrying on without change in the immediate aftermath of leaving the EU, which you appear incapable of comprehending.

Sheesh.:roll:
What I don't comprehend is why you think life will remain exactly the same, when/if you stumble out of the EU.

Wargaming for Brexit as May’s Government Faces More Setbacks

If that was the case your government would not be planning for these sorts of contingencies. Trusting the French right now, seems like a long shot gamble. But either way it will be fun to watch from this side of the pond!

Ahhh, so you think that rationing (for nearly fifteen years - it didn't stop until the 1950s) is the answer? Wow, there's an unqualified policy success:

"It's OK, Brexit has worked, the convoy got through and you'll get your chocolate ration!"
Are you on drugs?

What I don't comprehend is why you think life will remain exactly the same, when/if you stumble out of the EU.

If that was the case your government would not be planning for these sorts of contingencies. Trusting the French right now, seems like a long shot gamble. But either way it will be fun to watch from this side of the pond!
"Sigh".
I've pointed out several times exactly why it could remain the same on a temporary basis.

O

because it will. I’ll still have to change my money and still show my passport when I go on holiday.

My job will still continue.

The French night decide to be *********, but as every time I’ve ever caught the ferry to or from France it seems to be full of polish trick drivers, I suspect they’ll just bypass Calais and use other ports.

After all, it seems to be mainly stuff we’re importing that seems to go through France.

I'm alright jack, I have chickens, a polytunnel, and one of these....
View attachment 374486Not that exact one but close enough, I made it out of a burco boiler. 20 litres of mash gives me around 3-4 litres of self-harm after filtering and cutting.
Now that is proper doomsday prepping! Amen brother, if you need someone to peel the spuds I’m ya man, I can peel a spud just by starring at it

Yes, it’s not like we live in a temperate country where salad leaf alternatives and pot herbs grow wild in abundance or anything. Watching some of the reports yesterday, I was half expecting them to go live to a sombre voiced prime minister declaring:
"This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a final Note stating that, unless we heard from them by 11 o'clock....”
Never in a field of lettuce, has so much bullshit been spouted by so many idiots!

Valid point but nothing will change immediately for a good few months/ year or two. There's a transition period for sure. Certain things might change straight away but a lot of things will have a bit more leeway.

If this whole Brexit thing will even happen. Everyone's running around like flapping chickens here. Including me, of course.

Valid point but nothing will change immediately for a good few months/ year or two. There's a transition period for sure. Certain things might change straight away but a lot of things will have a bit more leeway.

If this whole Brexit thing will even happen. Everyone's running around like flapping chickens here. Including me, of course.
Do keep that chin up! I will be with you, from way over here sipping bourbon out of a steel cup pondering what to do with my few months of financial wealth left before my own austerity kicks in.

1548797541679.png

Latest Threads