Is No Deal the new Millennium Bug?

If this country can get supplies from the US during a world war, then why do these companies worry about bringing in supplies to the UK from Europe in this day and age. It's scaremongering.
Ahhh, so you think that rationing (for nearly fifteen years - it didn't stop until the 1950s) is the answer? Wow, there's an unqualified policy success:

"It's OK, Brexit has worked, the convoy got through and you'll get your chocolate ration!"

So what you're suggesting is the EU blockades the ports to prevent food reaching the UK & says "f**k you UK, you can all starve & our farmers will just plough all these crops under & loads of them can go bust".

Yeah, righto... :roll:
All they have to do is hold things up for an extra 24 to 48 hours to raise hell with today’s logistical system. You have to stop thinking Zombie Apoc and realize you won’t be going full Mad Max. But delays cost money, and shrinking profit margins cost jobs.

WTF. Really? I know of experienced tradesmen who have left the construction industry because they couldn't compete against firms who only hire eastern european workers. Most of whom are young, single blokes, living in room/flat shares. If you have bills to pay (especially in London) and a family to support, it can be next to impossible to make ends meet. Especially for the lower paid tradesmen.
A bit old, but about ten years ago I had a girlfriend who was an estate agent. This was the time when everyone in the media was going on about how hard working Polish plumbers and builders were.

She went to an event and met a local builder. She said that it must be really hard getting business with all these foreign tradesmen coming over. He replied that it was for the first year but that now business was better than ever.

In the first year a lot of smaller businesses went to the wall as they couldn't compete. However the quality of the foreigners work was crap and he was making a killing through reparing the damage and because all the local competition had gone he could charge what he wanted.

Ahhh, so you think that rationing (for nearly fifteen years - it didn't stop until the 1950s) is the answer? Wow, there's an unqualified policy success:

"It's OK, Brexit has worked, the convoy got through and you'll get your chocolate ration!"
Well if nothing else, it should solve the Obesity Crisis the NHS is always warning us about.;)

I can’t believe some people are seriously positing ideas of tacit blockades and making comparisons to the nineteen fifties. I watched the absurdly hysterical BBC news reports yesterday. Behind the big headlines, they were talking about possible delays in getting things like lettuce and champagne in the supermarkets, the latter much to the anticipated delight of a purveyor of English wines in Kent.

I can’t believe some people are seriously positing ideas of tacit blockades and making comparisons to the nineteen fifties. I watched the absurdly hysterical BBC news reports yesterday. Behind the big headlines, they were talking about possible delays in getting things like lettuce and champagne in the supermarkets, the latter much to the anticipated delight of a purveyor of English wines in Kent.

But Tarquil darling! What shall we do if the Moets and truffles are delayed!

A bit old, but about ten years ago I had a girlfriend who was an estate agent. This was the time when everyone in the media was going on about how hard working Polish plumbers and builders were.

She went to an event and met a local builder. She said that it must be really hard getting business with all these foreign tradesmen coming over. He replied that it was for the first year but that now business was better than ever.

In the first year a lot of smaller businesses went to the wall as they couldn't compete. However the quality of the foreigners work was crap and he was making a killing through reparing the damage and because all the local competition had gone he could charge what he wanted.

Well in the security industry wages might not have gone down but they certainly haven't risen and I can't see them going up any thime soon. Had a guy come in to the office yesterday who promptly informed me that both he and his cousin would work for a £5 an hour no questions asked and if I needed more then he had other relatives to call on (all with SIA badges). When I told him no thanks he then went into "reassurance " mode telling me he new what to say if asked and that I was worrying about nothing everyone was doing it. Thankfully my company doesn't swim in that pond so I could send him on his way. He might have been British but I suspect from his colour and barely understandable accent he probably wasn't

******* great idea when you think about it

We’ve had years of the NHS warning us about an obesity crisis, finally we’ve got a chance to tackle it.

Hardly comparable is it? For a start the American convoys were under such fierce attack from U boats during the War that up to 50% of cargos were lost! Plus ships are now bigger and more refined, cargo ships during the War were little more than coal ships, we now have super tankers and vast container ships that carry huge quantities. Technology has also spiraled massively, computer controlled ships, container ports and vehicles. Nah, you’re talking sh@t

Behind the big headlines, they were talking about possible delays in getting things like lettuce and champagne in the supermarkets, the latter much to the anticipated delight of a purveyor of English wines in Kent.
Yeah I heard that too, salad will be in short supply, no lettuce, tomatoes or cucumber......so all the fatty salad dodgers will be fine and fitness fanatical gym queens will all die of starvation....bugger!

Yeah I heard that too, salad will be in short supply, no lettuce, tomatoes or cucumber......so all the fatty salad dodgers will be fine and fitness fanatical gym queens will all die of starvation....bugger!
Yes, it’s not like we live in a temperate country where salad leaf alternatives and pot herbs grow wild in abundance or anything. Watching some of the reports yesterday, I was half expecting them to go live to a sombre voiced prime minister declaring:
"This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a final Note stating that, unless we heard from them by 11 o'clock....”

Yes, it’s not like we live in a temperate country where salad leaf alternatives and pot herbs grow wild in abundance or anything.
Gosh, yes. @Ho2331 wants rationing, and you're encouraging us to Dig for Victory! By 'eck, that's the Dunkirk Spirit, fight off the invasion of all those foreigners and stop the sun setting on the British Empire! What next, you'll be telling us to reduce our dependency on material imports by donating our spare pots, pans, and ornamental ironwork to the steelworkers?

I swear, it's like watching Al Murray do his Pub Landlord thing... to an audience who think he's serious.

All they have to do is hold things up for an extra 24 to 48 hours to raise hell with today’s logistical system. You have to stop thinking Zombie Apoc and realize you won’t be going full Mad Max. But delays cost money, and shrinking profit margins cost jobs.
The delays Grieve and Hammond want will cost a great deal more than money, jobs and margins.

******* great idea when you think about it

We’ve had years of the NHS warning us about an obesity crisis, finally we’ve got a chance to tackle it.
Public health improved in the UK during WW2 unlike the rest of Europe. (apart from those who were bombed obviously). Bread wasn't rationed until after the war but of course we had a Labour government by then.

I imagine this is some sort of amendment
being proposed?
That's about the size of it, Orwell nailed it...."Europeanised intelligentsia" who devoted their energies to "chipping away at English morale". The chief characteristic of intellectuals, who would rather steal from a poor box than stand to attention for God Save the King, was "their severance from the common culture of the country". They were also weird: "If only. . . every vegetarian, teetotaller and creeping Jesus [could be] sent home to Welwyn Garden City to do his yoga exercises quietly!"

I'm alright jack, I have chickens, a polytunnel, and one of these....
shine still.jpg
Not that exact one but close enough, I made it out of a burco boiler. 20 litres of mash gives me around 3-4 litres of self-harm after filtering and cutting.

Last edited: