Is my son "normal"?

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by trickywoo56, Sep 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Crikey - sorry about the manic subject line but I (well, we) are in need of advice here. My son's 6 and in his 2nd year in school in the UK (before that he was in South Africa). Our daughter is 4 and started at the same excellent (12 per class & 100 in the whole place) school last week.

Thing is, we've had some concerns over the 3Rs and this week seems to have been a headpoint. The lad's been given a maths game by the school which involves adding up the figures (in numerals not pictograms) on small cards. Now, he can add, say, 4+3 or 8+1 on his hands easily but these cards are supposed to be read (we assume) and are for 14+7 or 13-6 and these he resolutely cannot do. So, are the bods teaching a bunch of over-achieving hot house monkeys or is Andrew a bit of a future Para?

I'm norm. a NAAFI wallah so your genuine advice would be appreciated and I promise not to be horrid like those other nasty NAAFI types,

Thank you,

Richard and Rianna,
    West Sussex

2. And, when you approached the school about your very legitimate concerns, what did they say...........?

3. Just got on the phone to my teacher sis for you! Rest assured, Andrew is perfectly normal!! This past academic year he should have covered numbers 1-10 and have "mental agility" i.e. the ability to add & subtract within that range. He should already be able to count to 20, but won't necessarily be aware of the “place value” of the numbers in the “number system”. This year he’ll be working on understanding the relationship between 1 & 11, 2 & 12 etc and linking the logic between 3+5=8 to 13+5=18. He’ll also become more aware of the relationship between addition & subtraction and his mental agility should develop as he goes along.

4. When Angelface junior was at that age she also found it confusing, i found by purchasing a ladybird book which showed the pictorial changing into numerical helped. Also i bought of couple of basic maths books to work through with her. Solved the problem very quickly.

5. the relationship between fingers and toes always worked for my kids hands 1 -10 toes 11 - 20 helps explain at least

6. DB,

I was going to say thank you but here's the woife:

I just want to say thank you, I was really concerned about our son's maths and reading. He missed the reception year in Brittian and also in South Africa because, there, the children do reception the year they turn six years old. We came over to the UK last year when he was five so he started straight away in year one. Thank you for getting this information to us.

TW:

DUC750Dark - yes, but he has 21!

7. Yes, boys have the advantage over girls in that they have the attributes to count to 21.

Doesn't seem to go down too well in class, though.

8. Have you had him tested for dyslexia? I only found out I was dyslexic after school.

9. Yes I'll bite...........

Literacy is not the same as numeracy.

Bite over

reel it it in.

10. No worries - glad I (& my sis) could help! :)

11. J_D

J_D LE

I learn more here than I did at school!

Numeral Dyslexia (can't spell the word for it), hmm there’s a thought. I was always behind with math’s. School couldn't work out why, seeing as I was a grade A in every other subject. Math’s frustrated me, I could see the numbers yet they never sunk in. It was like a blank wall, plus it was like I'd misread them. 7's showed as 1's and vice versa. At one point I stormed out, never finished my GCSE math's exam. It wasn't until I joined the RN they worked out it wasn't as I was stupid (beg to differ). Since then I am fine. I got to re-take my GCSE maths. A lot of Schools back then didn't pick this sort of thing up. I do not know how they work now but I hope they give the children what they need. From age of 4 - 16, you'd think they'd pick it up. And you know what cured it? A sheet of purple Perspex.

Tricky, I am sure your child will be fine. Esp. at such a young age. Hope him all the best xxxx

pssst! Arrse is great for this sort of information, good work Dozy!

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

My boy is eighteen months and can count in his head right up to three. I know this because he takes the remote and hits the plasma screen of the TV with it, he does it three times before running to hide behind his Mothers legs. I appear moments later from the bedroom/bath/garden/pub/office screaming "NOOOOOOO or I'll gas the Telly Tubbies in their hole..." but he's already scarpered for his mother in the kitchen.... Grrrr

On the other hand, the other day Mrs H had the remote, Master X hopped up onto the couch, took the remote, crawled over to me and handed it to me saying "Daddy's!" - bless him!

I've contacted a couple of little kids teachers in germany to get their view. Will report back, just in case there's anything additional.

[​IMG]

13. Mine found it easier once I had the numbers tattooed on. If you do go down that route it might be an idea to give them sandals, saves a fortune on socks to boot.

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

from my chummette

Hmm...it doesn't sound developmentally appropriate to be giving a 6 year old
    anything over the sum of 10, especially in the beginning of the year. Sums of
    12 come later in the year. In order to figure out exactly what say, 14-7 is,
    they must be able to have tactile understanding of it - either using cubes,
    blocks, plastic bears, fingers, etc. and that is why when you teach a 6 year
    old math, you start with something that can be easily done on the fingers.
    This is the first step in understanding what the equation is--seeing it.

Certainly a student should know their math equations by heart, but no way
    should a 6 year old be using flashcards to memorize that. Sounds like a lazy
    teacher not wanting to take the time to teach the children the 'why' and 'how'
    of math -- and the child will certainly suffer in later years in math. Think
    about memorizing words in a foreign language written on cards. You can repeat
    them easily if you keep memorizing them... but will that teach you what the
    words actually mean?

Hope that helps! Six year olds are what I teach, so I feel pretty strongly
    about this one. :)

C

MSG ENDS
    rgds Mr H

15. J_D

J_D LE

So we getting the teacher in the sh1te now? Your son is fine, blame it on the Euducation system! I'm up for that lol

Start worrying when your son is smoking behind the bike sheds!