Is my email address being hijacked?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Feb 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Received this email message this morning. As I have never (knowingly) attempted to email "" or anything like that, I can only think of a couple of options:

1. It's spam, designed to make me think it's a bounced message so I will click on a link; or

2. Someone is piggybacking / hijacking my Hotmail account to sound out emails, one of which has (genuinely) been bounced back to me by the googlemail server.

There are a couple of other email addresses further down, one of which ("reply to") is a .ru address. There is also cyrillic script visibly. I'm suspecting that option 2 might be the more likely explanation.

Thoughts? Will be changing password and security question, but just wondered if anybody technical had a definitive insight.

2. how do i know this thread is by you? the real you.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PM sent
  4. I have a similar problem,I keep getting (daily) e-mails from my family and friends that when I open them are promoting something or other.I have even had an e-mail from a deceased friend that was trying to sell me insurance.It would appear that someone has sold my e-mail list to a third party.I am with BT Internet and I suspect them altho I cannot prove it.
  5. cheers, thought editing the hyperlinks would have been enough but obviously not lol.
  6. It'll be Forastero.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. He's mean.

I got hacked tjakfulakuoifuaiofuaiufiaufiaofnaf
  8. I`m far from being an expert but when this happened to me I changed all my passwords , no more problems.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I did, actually. Some **** with the same name as me tried to e-mail me.

Sending e-mails to myself?

I very don't think so.

Oh, and I'm in N Yorks, not Venefuckingzuela.

Meeesees Slug, she no here,

• Like Like x 6
  10. you might be coming at this from the wrong end. if the emails are coming from your family & friends' accounts etc, then the spam just sends to everybody in their address book. you wouldn't need to be on any "list" sold by BT.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. It will stop eventually....always does.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nah, **** it. Play with them.
  13. Does that include the dead friend?.
  14. I'd rather play with you.
  15. Because you are sat in my living room.