Is Labour now the natural party of the wealthy?

Watching the gnashing and wailing of teeth by Labour MP's and spokespersons on the news over the withdrawal of Child Benefit to high rate tax payers was most amusing…

Oh teh noes! Mummy's on £43,000 a year will be unable to buy clothes for Tarquil!

Seems to be a few people moaning, Even Mumnets are saying it will affect some of their members, by affect I assume they mean they won't be able to afford a second ivory backscratcher.

Judging by the lifestyles, financial arangements, book deals, living arangemets some of them have,it would appear so.

Starting to quite like this Cameron fella. From each according to their means, to each according to their needs.

Keep it up Dave, I may even vote for you one day. Unlikely mind.

Had a minor arguement with the wife about Child tax credit, she doesnt understand why I wont apply for it!
Simple Love, WE DONT NEED IT!!

MSI64. If you don't need it, you can send it to me. They are screwing my pension.

MSI64. If you don't need it, you can send it to me. They are screwing my pension.
If I do, does that mean you will have to move in with us and make my house smell of old people???

No good deed goes unpunnished. The answer is, therefore, yes.

Had a minor arguement with the wife about Child tax credit, she doesnt understand why I wont apply for it!
So, nothing to do with not being able to understand the application form then?
That's the joy of a Gordon Brown designed benefits system-You need an academic brain the size of a planet to fill out the form. But people with a brain like that normally have well paying jobs. QED- Clever people claim benefits. Poor people don't.
(Oh, excepting professional fraudsters, but the amount of effort they put into fiddling the system would be better rewarded by going into organised crime. Something like derivatives trading on the Stock Exchange for instance.)

Starting to quite like this Cameron fella. From each according to their means, to each according to their needs.

Keep it up Dave, I may even vote for you one day. Unlikely mind.
Well for all his being a Tory and a general ******, when it comes to knowing what he's talking about and telling the truth I'd take him over either TCB any day

Are you saying you married a labour supporter?

It has been obvious for many years that Labour are the party of undeserved wealth. Just look at how they bailed out their friends in banking.

Is King Herod the Patron 'Saint' of small boys?

Labour is a 'busted flush' and its only achievement in the last fifty years is to have 'conned' the British electorate three times in a row!

Come on guys, let's not pretend that labour is the natural capitalist party and that the tories are nice chaps who are having to go against their desires. The Tory party is absolutely loving it right now. They have wanted to totally disembowel the public sector for decades and now Brown's Stalinesque refusal to acknowledge reality has given them the chance. NHS? Sorry chaps, not our fault, cut! Defence? Sorry chaps, a big boy did it and ran away, cut! Child benefit? Sorry folks, labour spent all the money on millionaire bankers, cut! If you want examples of undeserved wealth, look at the Chancellor. George Osborne lives on a £4m trust fund he did absolutely nothing to earn. Remember that when he tells others to "earn your living".

But.....Labour for all their "equality" talk have destroyed their own ethos in an attempt to retain power and influence. In 2000, the average CEO earned 42 times the average income of his employees. Now in 2010 that has risen to 81 times the average salary. Absolutely disgusting. Not that multi-millionaire Blair gives two hoots about the people. All these parties are run by millionaire professional politicians who hold every single one of us in utter contempt. Look at the Ashcroft debacle, the tax he has avoided could probably have paid the entire country's welfare bill. No wonder they en-nobled such a fine upstanding character who loves his country. Belize that is.

NHS? Sorry chaps, not our fault, cut!
The NHS budget has been ring-fenced.
Defence? Sorry chaps, a big boy did it and ran away, cut!
Osborne said today that the armed forces would get "whatever it takes" to "get the job done". OK, it's a politician's promise, but even so, it's hardly promising massive swingeing cuts a la Options, is it.
Child benefit? Sorry folks, labour spent all the money on millionaire bankers, cut!
No family earning more than £42k (ish) will be able to claim child benefit. Do you think that people earning well above the national average wage should be able to claim benefits that they don't need?

Less ranting and more looking at the actual facts, methinks.

No.

What ought to be plain, is that - as long as Joe Public remains apathetic about the exercise of his franchise, the House Of Commons Is the natural home of the greedy, and party distinctions (once a matter of principle and genuine passion) are of little or no significance.

Come on guys, let's not pretend that labour is the natural capitalist party and that the tories are nice chaps who are having to go against their desires. The Tory party is absolutely loving it right now. They have wanted to totally disembowel the public sector for decades and now Brown's Stalinesque refusal to acknowledge reality has given them the chance. NHS? Sorry chaps, not our fault, cut! Defence? Sorry chaps, a big boy did it and ran away, cut! Child benefit? Sorry folks, labour spent all the money on millionaire bankers, cut! If you want examples of undeserved wealth, look at the Chancellor. George Osborne lives on a £4m trust fund he did absolutely nothing to earn. Remember that when he tells others to "earn your living".

But.....Labour for all their "equality" talk have destroyed their own ethos in an attempt to retain power and influence. In 2000, the average CEO earned 42 times the average income of his employees. Now in 2010 that has risen to 81 times the average salary. Absolutely disgusting. Not that multi-millionaire Blair gives two hoots about the people. All these parties are run by millionaire professional politicians who hold every single one of us in utter contempt. Look at the Ashcroft debacle, the tax he has avoided could probably have paid the entire country's welfare bill. No wonder they en-nobled such a fine upstanding character who loves his country. Belize that is.
Wot he said. See my post above.

No family earning more than £42k (ish) will be able to claim child benefit. Do you think that people earning well above the national average wage should be able to claim benefits that they don't need?
Your figures are wrong - the cut comes for any family with a higher-rate taxpayer as mum or dad. So, a family with a stay-at-home mum and a dad earning (say) £44k per year - the sort of family traditional tories coo with approval about - loses the child benefit.

However, since you don't hit the higher rate until you earn more than £43,875 per year*, you could end up with a family where both mum and dad go out to work and earn somewhere in the region of £88K between them, without either paying tax at 40%.

So the family getting £44k per year from parental salary (pre tax, of course) loses child benefit. The family getting £88k from parental salary keeps it.

(*from memory and supported by the Telegraph - but it still could be right...)