Is kit really sqaddy proof?

Is there any kit that anyone has found that is truly squaddy proof,is it really true that our kit and especially our personal weapon is made by the lowest bidder?

Old crisp packet waterproofs, they were bomb proof! But moist on the inside!

Oh, and G10 for men watches

and green string!

Maccy_Bear said:
The issue waterbottle. No one could fcuk that up, surely?
Oh yes they blimming well could! They melt if left next to a hexy cooker as one of my OP party found out "the hard way"...

there is always something the boys and girls can do, even to the biggest, monolithic piece of kit you can think off. Or to be even handed, that the officers can do to even the most technical gadgets.

I once removed the door of a Gazelle myself..oops. Pilot got very shouty although afterwards "we all saw the funny side of it"...

Cuddles said:
Maccy_Bear said:
The issue waterbottle. No one could fcuk that up, surely?
Oh yes they blimming well could! They melt if left next to a hexy cooker as one of my OP party found out "the hard way"...

there is always something the boys and girls can do, even to the biggest, monolithic piece of kit you can think off. Or to be even handed, that the officers can do to even the most technical gadgets.

I once removed the door of a Gazelle myself..oops. Pilot got very shouty although afterwards "we all saw the funny side of it"...
However, the fire proof plastic water bottle came in at £500 each.

Once saw a bit of kit that was tagged as totally squaddie proof. Well it was until two giggling squaddies tied it the back of a pair of 432's(might have been a siggy version not sure of its designation) and drove them in opposite directions... Never EVER tell a squaddie they cant break something as they will just see it as a challange!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Wasn't there a piece in the paper today about the development of Army Mugs, back in the '60s, that led to the Black Wonder we have today?

As to water bottles, I had recruits who regularly fecked them completely by putting in anything other than water. Screech for example will taint a plastic water bottle for ever. G&T is slightly better, but not a lot.

Most indestructable bit of Army Kit? No such thing! Squaddies can, proudly, break or lose (or both) absolutely anything.

And is our kit made by the lowest bidder? Not necessarily; it has to do the job (in theory). But you wouldn't want to pay what some of these money-grubbing Companies want to charge us anyway :)

It was a radio of some kind..... not clansman and it was about 5 years ago. Didnt stay to find out as I saw from a distance that the radio lost the battle. Not even sure how they attached it but it held for about a second before being torn apart.

A Mess tin - They may get a bit dented but what can you do to them?

Mind you I remember hitting someone over the head with one.

fatcakes said:
It was a radio of some kind..... not clansman and it was about 5 years ago. Didnt stay to find out as I saw from a distance that the radio lost the battle. Not even sure how they attached it but it held for about a second before being torn apart.
Surely it's pretty difficult to destroy a 320, they are supposedly indestructable. They have certainly stood the test of time so far.

The_Monocled_Mutineer said:
A Mess tin - They may get a bit dented but what can you do to them?quote]

er ... quite a bit if your recce sergeants driver runs your belt kit over in his CVR(T)....the blind c=unt.... yeah you jase you f*cking blind arrse , and not just mine , another 3 sets and two smudge guns .... not a bad tally.

84? never saw one of those damaged

Talking about the green lid being strong enough to hold up a pontoon bridge;

We turned in our old tin hats for the new green plastic one and my mate Si couldn't get one that fitted. So, off to the Q who told him to fcuk off.

He comes back to the garage, where I'm slapping a bit of paint onto something or other to try and look busy, he then pours out his tale of woe.

"Never mind matey" says Speedkuff, "Gi's yer lid here and watch this bsatard!"

He hands over the lid and and I then carefully positioned it under the front wheel of the Bedford. This Bedford carried two gennies and umpteen tonnes of radio kit and therefore was sure to knacker the lid...

I carefully got the wheel on top of the lid and rocked it backwards and forwards on the clutch asking for damage reports as me besser observed. Nothing. So then I admit defeat and drive backwards off the lid.

The frigging thing then popped out from the front wheel aided by the 8-9 tonnes of wagon on top of it and screamed out of the front of the garage door and caused a sodding great big dent in the side door of a passing 1/4 ton LR.

We came out of the garage to inspect the damage; bolloxed door on the Rover, smoking clutch on Bedford, Duty driver having a fag and swearing to calm his shattered nerves... damage to helmet?

Zilch.

The old PAMPAS computer dystem was reported to be "squaddie proof."

After doing the course at Worthy Down, I returned to Regents Park Barracks & promptly proved that it wasn't "civvie proof" :wink:

I was always under the impression that the following did not exist in the real world: squaddy-proof, Jackproof, bootneck-proof and, for that matter, foolproof. Resistant, possibly. Proof, never.

devilish said:
Surely it's pretty difficult to destroy a 320, they are supposedly indestructable. They have certainly stood the test of time so far.
Nope they have been around for a long time, but thats only coz they are getting fixed all the time. The switchs snap off, the casing cracks, they have even burnt out inside. How did all these faults occur, i have no idea, but i was the mug who had to fix them amoung other things!!