Is joining the army the best decision you have ever made?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by mikardo, Sep 18, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On T.V and on army fliers I always see the same thing "joining the army is the best decision I have ever made"

What I want to know is, is it the best decision you have made? Or is this just a technique to rope people in?

2. Hmm-have you just left, having completed a few weeks undercover filming for the Beeb??

3. Undoubtedly. Afetr 18 years I can still say Im Army barmy and I look forward to work in the mornings. Mind you, not as much as I look forward to home in the evenings and more importantly pubbing and clubbing on weekends. I refuse to grow up, I am Peter Pan!

4. No lol I was just wondering what army life is like before i quit my job and join up.

5. ask me again sometime in mid-november :D:D:D

6. It's fantastic. I got the schooling my lefty-liberal teachers never gave me, an outlook an life that has served me very well since leaving and every day you will work with the best friends you will ever have. There are highs and lows to everything in the army, but I remember more highs than lows when I take a few moments to reflect every now and again.

7. It's what you make of it. My own experience, and I had some tiny-willied NCOs, is that for every soldier being bullied there's 20 utter cocks being beasted because they're absolute fuckups of the highest order and deserve it.

So long as you go in with a philosophical mindset and don't confuse basic with a Club 18-30 holiday (unless you're going RLC, obviously), you'll to get loads out of it IMO. Just look at the numbers of ex-servicemen who come back here to remember what they'd been and what they'd done, for example.

Keep your eyes and mind open and remember that it's the Army. There's always the chance you'll come back with fewer bits than you went out with, or not come back at all. It's the job. If you can accept that, go for it.

8. I can only speak for myself, but for me it certainly was.

However, I am reminded of a comment made to me by a Chelsea Pensioner:

"I only ever made two mistakes in my life. First one was joining the army and second leaving it."

9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

So how about you do an Army "Look at Life" Course before the BBC sends you undercover?

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Can you PM me a copy? Because it should read "Be the best". One would hate to think they paid us £575,346.42 (ex-VAT) for those three masterfully crafted words, then they didnt use them.

11. Can't say it was the 'best' decision I ever made -that was finding the right woman and settling dow ....okay, she's left the room..where was I?

Oh, yes..
    may not have been the best decision, but certainly was a wise one.. learned a bit about leadership and responsibility, altruism and dedication, determination and made some lifelong friends to boot..before I was a pretty footloose w@nker and ne'erdowell with no clear idea of what to do or where to go -mainjly becaue, at that age I was lazy and corrupted by the " me " generation. Peace Baby...[ gawd I even have photos of me dressed like Austin Powers..would trashy plastic beads sell well on E-bay?]

Well worth the time and energy and I'm proud that my wife and kids saw value in it the' life' enough from my experiences to join up as well when the time came..

maybe I'm biased, but other choices [ until lately] didn't lead anywhere, though I do regret not buying that lottery ticket June of '98... deffo not my best decision -my numbers paid out $ 14 mil and I sat numb in front of the listings cursing myself for hours...

12. Joining the army wasn't a good decision, nor was it a poor one. I stumbled into the army having lost my job in a bakery, and while I wondered what to do next it was suggested to me by a friend, so I looked into it. Certainly not the most convincing case of decision making, indeed you could almost lavish the same praise on someone who 'decided' to pick the winning lottery numbers.

I can safely say my best decision was staying in.

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Unfortunatly, sometimes we dont have a choice!

14. Suck it and see!

15. The army broke my heart and made me a man,
    but the woman broke my soul when she made me a civvie. (pull2eject 18.92008)