Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Is it worth visiting Normandy Beaches + Pegasus bridge?

dundrillin said:
Pegasus Bridge museum is good and so is the Merville Battery Museum. Have a bite to eat or a drink at the Cafe Gondree (but for God's sake don't mention the museum to Arlette!) Try to get the Arromanches Museum in as well and the Battery de Longues is also worth going to see. There is a very good Canadian museum/visitor centre at Juno Beach.

Indoctrinate him beforehand with 'The Longest Day' and 'Saving Private Ryan' and you may even get him to visit the British cemetery at Ranville, or the American cemetery above Omaha Beach moving. without pulling a face.

If you havent already read it, then you need to have a good read of this fine thread by Swordman a veteran of the Normandy Campaign who posts in the sapper Forum.

I went as a 12 year old boy (perhaps a wee bit younger) and loved ity. So did the mother. And as already mentioned, definately visit the Omaha beach cemetery. Absolutely stunningly gobsmackingly huge. Very saddening, and awe-inspiring.

Personally I found Omaha Cemetary a bit "in your face", very American. Too American in fact. Not to slight the memory of the fallen, just my view.

Compare with the German and British cemetaries in Normandy....

Attachments

• dscf0314a.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 423
  • dscf0267a.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 434
I have just spent two weeks travelling normandy, got off the ferry very earlty this morning actually.

5 Jun, visited Merville Battery, At the time the old boys from 9 Para Bn were visiting, along with Mrs OTWAY, the CO's widow. It was very humbling and I almost felt like I was intruding on their patch, They were very friendly typical former soldiers.

we then moved onto Pegasus Bridge and Cafe Gondree, there was/ had just beeen a service with Old Boy's, UK Army cadtes and cloggies all present. The cafe was very present with maroon berets and lots of reunions going on outside.
I gave up my seat for a tall well built former glider pilot regt boy who appeared to have MBE/OBE (not sure which) who needed walkings sticks. He was with company of his wife and another couple. He had a very familiar face.but I don't know where from.

most humbling