• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Is it worth visiting Normandy Beaches + Pegasus bridge?

ABF9

Old-Salt
Going to France soon and was woundering was it worht going to Normandy beaches and Pegasus bridge?

What exactly is there?(apart from a beach and a bridge before some comic says it)

Is it sutable for children?

There's a really good state of the art museum there, and you could integrate it into a whole day's tour of the area. I recommend Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide, which even comes with a separate map.

ABF9

Old-Salt
Aloysius said:
There's a really good state of the art museum there, and you could integrate it into a whole day's tour of the area. I recommend Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide, which even comes with a separate map.
Would it be of interest to a 12 years old boy?

Do they have a web site?

Pegasus Bridge museum is good and so is the Merville Battery Museum. Have a bite to eat or a drink at the Cafe Gondree (but for God's sake don't mention the museum to Arlette!) Try to get the Arromanches Museum in as well and the Battery de Longues is also worth going to see. There is a very good Canadian museum/visitor centre at Juno Beach.

Indoctrinate him beforehand with 'The Longest Day' and 'Saving Private Ryan' and you may even get him to visit the British cemetery at Ranville, or the American cemetery above Omaha Beach moving. without pulling a face.

I would recommend a visit to the American war cemetary overlooking Omaha beach, a profoundly moving and awesome place. It is kept in a beautiful condition by the french and it makes you realise just how many people made the ultimate sacrifice.

I think a 12 year old boy would love it, if he likes history and guns and aeroplanes and stuff. This 43 year old boy did, anyway. You can also integrate lots of beer/coffee stops, get a good feed at various places en route, in the evenings stuff yourself with great seafood and swill cider and calvados. What's not to like?

yeah it is...go to the museum of peace (i think thats what its called) it is very moving, the beaches are ok (dont expect much tho...) but most museums are good. Hope this helps.

Peter

Ps...if u know a bit about what happened and tell ur child/children it will be a better experince for u all. Buts that just my point of view.

ABF9

Old-Salt
Thanks for all the info gents.

Now all I got to do is break the news to the enemy(misses) that we are going on a little detour.

dundrillin said:
Pegasus Bridge museum is good and so is the Merville Battery Museum. Have a bite to eat or a drink at the Cafe Gondree (but for God's sake don't mention the museum to Arlette!) Try to get the Arromanches Museum in as well and the Battery de Longues is also worth going to see. There is a very good Canadian museum/visitor centre at Juno Beach.

Indoctrinate him beforehand with 'The Longest Day' and 'Saving Private Ryan' and you may even get him to visit the British cemetery at Ranville, or the American cemetery above Omaha Beach moving. without pulling a face.
Don't forget Band of Brothers. And that book about Pegasus by Stephen thingy (the septic historian who did Band of Brothers) for some British input.

wet_blobby said:
I would recommend a visit to the American war cemetary overlooking Omaha beach, a profoundly moving and awesome place. It is kept in a beautiful condition by the french and it makes you realise just how many people made the ultimate sacrifice.
Seconded.

After I came back I watched Saving Private Ryan again, I could see a lot of what i saw in the film.

Mate I went on a school trip there aged 12, it was fantastic. Pegasus Bridge isn't (too) far I seem to recall.

A visit is ESSENTIAL if you are in that part of the world.

ABF9 said:
Thanks for all the info gents.

Now all I got to do is break the news to the enemy(misses) that we are going on a little detour.
why would she not be interested??????????? If she really isn't then drop her in Caen for the shopping and restaurants

I would love to have the chance to go to both places!

ABF9, this is more than a bridge and beach to so many people. That you think this is what they are then you would also benefit from a visit, I'm not being nasty but these places have alot of history and meaning to alot of people.

I'm sure that a 12 year old would love to explore and find out about their history. Try to incorporate it into a project he can make for school, take loads of pictures, you never know when they'll be worth a look through.

The WW1 sites are of great interest too but my favorate quote comes from a plaque near a British D-day beach which says;

'We who were once conquored by William of Normandy returned to liberate the land from wence he came. 06 June 1944'

Priceless:)

Its Hardly a question....... You Must Go!!! All of it is an awesome experience, My son just coming up ten was in tears on Sword Beach (Arromanches) just because he said "i feel funny Daddy" thats the bit bud, take it and remember those before.

Regards to all

Dave

ABF9

Old-Salt
Cow said:
ABF9, this is more than a bridge and beach to so many people. That you think this is what they are then you would also benefit from a visit, I'm not being nasty but these places have alot of history and meaning to alot of people.

I was being sarcastic mate.

Having served in the airborne forces I know how important they are to many people.

I think Battlefield tours should be mandatory for schools. Standing in one of the war cemetaries or being recounted a story of ultimate bravery and sacrifice is very humbling and gives you a wake up. Did the Ypres/Passendale tour recently ending at Tyne Cot cemetery and Memorial to the Missing. Saw a couple of school parties there who I had seen chavving it up earlier in the day stood silent. The interactive museum at Tyne Cot is quite moving calling the names of the fallen/missing through a PA system I think you would have to be there a considerable amount of time before the list got to the start again. :(

There is a great "Overlord" musuem in Bayeux, well worth a visit. Bayeux is a great town to base yourself in, it's not too far to anywhere from it, quite central and some good hotels, B&B's & cafe's. The tapestry is well worth a visit as well (an earlier invasion). Also, the Normandy cider and calvados are well worth sampling!

Enjoy the trip

Make sure you visit the Merville Battery! It has an excellent museum where they have a mock up of the battery firing. Going through the fire control orders etc then several shots, then 9 Para storm it, while you are stood inside.... excellent!

Attachments

:D took my 12 year old there last year .....he loved it ...well i have brainwashed him i suppose . The missus even loved it cause the whole normandy area is very picturesque.
Didnt have time for pegasus bridge however .
places to go

Caen ...has a HUGE military museum which isnt just DDay stuff really cool
we went from east to west along the coast
canadian museum at juno is cool well worth a visit
Point du hoc is a battery on the ridge overlooking the invasion beaches worth a look
Omaha beach is massive there is a small but really packed little museum at the end up the hill to the east and loads of littl eplaces to visit .
there are the cemetaries to visit of course lest we forget lots of people made the ultimate sacrifice for us .
got to go but will dig up all the places we went (took whole weekend)if that helps
Get on net and look as there are loads of things to see , first world war stuff as well if interested ,lots of yanks at the juno museum were telling us about that as they did the whole nw france .

hope it helps :D

educational for kid is the Bayeux tapestry in bayeux worth a look