Is it worth my time? (Drugs related)

Submit what you have, online probably best.

If you start sneaking about, you will get noticed, for precisely the same reasons as you have noticed the dealers. And you never know who knows after that, casual gossip about 'Number 17, the tall lad, you'll never guess what he was up to'" etc.

Photographs usually prove little except in context as part of an op. A vehicle reg, or partial may be handy, I suppose.
Getting seen using a DSLR is a bad idea, a note with an index number is just as valuable. Your pictures will not be used in court or in briefings.

Tell the professionals what you know & leave it at that.
Well-done for being community minded , all the same.

Snowy.

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ireland ay... just Kneecap them...

use a drill if you don't have a firearm...

Last edited:
In my local park there’s a mid-small sized drug dealing operation going on, I am under the impression they are selling mostly cannabis.

I watched them briefly in action today and saw how they were going about their business.

The issue is they leave the park covered in litter, they make the place unpleasant and uncomfortable for the elderly residents and there was a stabbing (murder) in the park last year which is very out of character for my area. They also lit a bit of the park of fire last summer.

My question is;
Do you think it’s worth my time to compile a list of evidence to bring to the police?
Would the police take my report seriously if it was well put together?

I had planned to bug out key areas with small cameras in rocks, bug the area they stand with microphones and take pictures of the transaction with a DSLR camera from a OP about 100m away. I may be able to ID a few of the men aswell as they are local.

I could lead to arrests higher up aswell as a elderly gentleman was telling me that a black BMW pulls up every now and again and all the men get in and out one by one.

This idea probably seems a bit over the top, but they make the local park a shithole, and the lot of them are scum. Also this kind of thing rocks my boat aswell.

Is it worth the time, or am I just in dreamland here?

There's a particular skill set in properly carrying out covert audio and video surveillance so if you don't know what you're doing, don't get involved. Leave it to the professionals. Carrying out covert surveillance may not be legal in your neck of the woods for a private citizen without authorisation. Law enforcement officers themselves have to go through a set of legal checks and balances before they deploy their kit. Anything you record is likely to be inadmissible as evidence but if it were to be used the defence council are entitled to a copy of it and to know who obtained it and how. You could potentially end up in the witness box under cross examination.

The dealers are likely to have dickers around so you're likely to stick out like a spare prick at a wedding. If you know the locals they are just as likely to know you. That's a target painted on your back for starters.

Law enforcement officers may already be carrying out covert surveillance and if you go blundering around off your own back you could potentially blow an existing op.

Report your concerns by all means but leave those who know what they are doing to get on and deal with it. Keep your head down and stay anonymous.

In my local park there’s a mid-small sized drug dealing operation going on, I am under the impression they are selling mostly cannabis.

I watched them briefly in action today and saw how they were going about their business.

The issue is they leave the park covered in litter, they make the place unpleasant and uncomfortable for the elderly residents and there was a stabbing (murder) in the park last year which is very out of character for my area. They also lit a bit of the park of fire last summer.

My question is;
Do you think it’s worth my time to compile a list of evidence to bring to the police?

I had planned to bug out key areas with small cameras in rocks, bug the area they stand with microphones and take pictures of the transaction with a DSLR camera from a OP about 100m away. I may be able to ID a few of the men aswell as they are local.

I could lead to arrests higher up aswell as a elderly gentleman was telling me that a black BMW pulls up every now and again and all the men get in and out one by one.

This idea probably seems a bit over the top, but they make the local park a shithole, and the lot of them are scum. Also this kind of thing rocks my boat aswell.

It is very public spirited of you, but personally I would advise you passing what you know, not photos that could ID you and your home, to the police, and if they cannot, or will not, take positive action, then give it to the press.
The longest time I have ever spent being cross-examined in the box was over the location of the OP we had used on a drugs job. We had them stone bonker when we followed them off and nicked them trying to buy firearms, that, and what was in their homes when we turned them over, but we had trampled on someone's hoped-for route to riches, and they wanted revenge on 'the grass', and their bent barrister seemed to be obliging with his questioning.

My question is;

As someone who works in a tangential field, the following advice is for England, but I can't imagine it'll be too far from the situation over there. We have recently been doing something similar with one of our own parks trying to reclaim it and revitalise it.
Here's what we'd advise:

1: Drugs are a police matter. Every time you see a drug deal, submit a report. Usually in English forces there's a form to fill out on line to do this. This means that suddenly there's a cluster of reports. It's the old thing of one report saying '... and this is always going on!' isn't going to get noticed. 20 of them are, as it simply makes the stats look bad.
I say do it online as it means you'll not tie up call handlers.
If things get ignored then there should be a complaints procedure, and if that fails do you have a Police Commissioner? This is what they're for. But don't do the complaint stuff too soon, give it a lot of time.

2: Contact the council Anti-Social Behaviour team. They will likely be in contact with the police, and may have soft measures they can put in place. Something as simple as Enforcement officers doing periodical patrols in the area can make it seem less inviting to the miscreants, even if nothing comes of the patrols, a uniformed individual bimbling along does make the drug dealers/users nervous.
To help with your case before you contact the ASB team do a log. Take obs over two weeks and note times of gathering and drug dealing. No need to include photo's though.
The council can spend effort on making the place more inviting to people. Lighting, CCTV new/cleaned up play equipment, removal of bushes that provide cover etc. All of which needs money, and to get a council to spend money you need your councillors on board, so start moaning at them. Try all the councillors whose wards abut the park, not just your own. Or failing that councillors in wards which are within walking distance.

Don't expect instant results either.

My question is;

You sound a little like you have fantasies of being Bond.

Just report to the police, no need to hide in the bushes.

My question is;

If you want to do some good for the community and making the use of your time worthwhile, then clearing up their litter each morning will be good

My question is;

You have no evidence of drug dealing, just your suspicions or impressions.
Your actual complaint appears to be about litter. The occassional stabbing may, or may not, be related to other possible criminal activity.
If you have noticed these alleged drug dealers, be assured they have noticed you too, and have generally better intelligence gathering than the police, so will very likely know where you live, when you're home, and so on.
You could always lgnore these young entrepeneurs quietly going about their business, providing happy customers with goods produced by other self employed young horticulturalists, all showing that drive and ambition to succeed and become wealthy that's at the heart of a good capitalist economy, while picking up the litter yourself.
No need to raise Plod from his slumbers, nor any overworked Councillors and MPs.

D

Deleted 183749

You sound a little like you have fantasies of being Bond.

Just report to the police, no need to hide in the bushes.
Fairly stupid assumption.
In regards to your suggestion, that is what I now plan to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 183749

Your actual complaint appears to be about litter. The occassional stabbing may, or may not, be related to other possible criminal activity.
If you have noticed these alleged drug dealers, be assured they have noticed you too, and have generally better intelligence gathering than the police, so will very likely know where you live, when you're home, and so on.
You could always lgnore these young entrepeneurs quietly going about their business, providing happy customers with goods produced by other self employed young horticulturalists, all showing that drive and ambition to succeed and become wealthy that's at the heart of a good capitalist economy, while picking up the litter yourself.
No need to raise Plod from his slumbers, nor any overworked Councillors and MPs.
I watched them for about 15 minutes yesterday, I’m almost certain there dealing.
These are not the quiet type of “entrepreneurial” dealer you mention. Rather the local hard men who try to make a point that they think there nails. They are scumbags not only because there dealers but more how they act.

Moke

MIA
If you want the police to take notice buy a PAYG sim, dial 999 anonymously and claim that you think you just saw someone with a firearm in the vicinity of the vehicle. Don't use your own name, don't phone from your home and destroy the sim after the call

A neighbour's kid hit my wife with an air rifle pellet and realising that she'd been shot she dialled 999 in a panic. The police helicopter was overhead and the street behind ours was full of police in about 5 minutes.

Spoken like an entrepreneurial purveyor of non-prescription medication.

Wetneck

Old-Salt
There was a similar issue near where a friend lived a few years ago. Police took no notice of it at all.

In the end this friend came to roughly the same conclusion as this thread. There wasn't much he could do himself to fix it.

He got a fake "trail cam" like the ones they use to capture wildlife. Stuck it very visibly on a tree and it scared the dealers off. They assumed they were being watched and it was enough to make them move on.
It was his one and only move, shooting the bolt as it were, but it did the job.

Blogg

LE
Dealing out of a park? How low rent and quaint.

In these parts the last attempt at such activity was hammered promptly

But it is almost certain that was due only to locals reporting anti social behaviour and sundry hate crimes from these half wits rather than what they were actually selling.

D

Deleted 183749

Dealing out of a park? How low rent and quaint.

In these parts the last attempt at such activity was hammered promptly

But it is almost certain that was due only to locals reporting anti social behaviour and sundry hate crimes from these half wits rather than what they were actually selling.
It’s fairly low level stuff, but they are a complete nuisance all the same, and it would give me a bit of joy to see them out of the area.

D

Deleted 183749

There was a similar issue near where a friend lived a few years ago. Police took no notice of it at all.

In the end this friend came to roughly the same conclusion as this thread. There wasn't much he could do himself to fix it.

He got a fake "trail cam" like the ones they use to capture wildlife. Stuck it very visibly on a tree and it scared the dealers off. They assumed they were being watched and it was enough to make them move on.
It was his one and only move, shooting the bolt as it were, but it did the job.
Something I was also considering, leaving a obvious prop recording device, hopefully it would scare them off.
I think I’ll just report it though. As much as I’d like to get rid of them myself, it’s not my place to do it.

I watched them for about 15 minutes yesterday, I’m almost certain there dealing.
These are not the quiet type of “entrepreneurial” dealer you mention. Rather the local hard men who try to make a point that they think there nails. They are scumbags not only because there dealers but more how they act.

They're = they are.

[There = not here, their = belongs to them]

Happy to help.

Latest Threads