Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth it!!!!

CMT is a good base knowledge trade, ideal for using as a step up and while you have to have CMTs of all ranks, the ones that want to better / challange themselves do move on to other more technical and clinical trades.

Phillip-Kotler

Old-Salt
Filbert Fox said:
CMT is a good base knowledge trade, ideal for using as a step up and while you have to have CMTs of all ranks, the ones that want to better / challange themselves do move on to other more technical and clinical trades.

. . . and the cry from anyone wounded at the front-line would be 'Get me to an OTT/ODP or what ever you call yourselves these days. I think not. Please don't confuse your technical ability to clean up after some grumpy surgeon with the hands-on skills of a decent CMT.

'Step up' - 'Challenge themselves' - have a word with yourself. C0ck.

Frank

Old-Salt
Bedpan2zero said:
Frank said:
Well if were going to quote experience then ive been a cmt for 13 years (havn't messed around trying different services and engagements i must add). In that time i have deployed on six operational tours (as a cmt in a medical roll) four significant overseas exercises, attended many medical courses (all paid for by and in the armys time), have spent over 30 weeks on clinical placements world wide.

If you are saying that a TA RCMT with a background of a being a signaler can do the job better than a regular cmt, then you need to get on the blower to DGAMS as you'l have just saved him a ferking fortune!

13 years minus 6x 6month tours = 10.5 years
10.5 years minus 4 exercises x 3 months = 9.5 years
take away for courses, ranges minor exercises - 3 years

= 6.5 years estimated doing non medical functions, like I have pointed out previously not always being at the sharp end getting hands on experience

MY BOLD - where in my rants (as youll put it) did I say that the TA will do the job better - i clearly stated that they would get more hands on time!!!

I like the bit about messing around with different engagements!!

If youre 100% happy with what you do, fine - but i know quite a few that arent - and once you have the thirst to learn more, advance your career/quals then go for it - ODP, Nurse whatever

or are you one of the btter and twisted types that was rejected?

You realy should consider a career in politics bedpan. Twisting the meaning of a statement when your up against the ropes. Being better at a job is implied by more hands on.

If you dont think so then you should get on to DAvn as theres an awfull lot of money wasted ensuring pilots get more "hands on" that doesnt make them any better at their job?

jase2472

War Hero
i didn't mention that i would be stopping at the same unit and being re-badged RAMC and the only one at the Signal unit what do you think now mate i know i wont be doing loads of stuff but i will be the only medic at the sqn

Being better at a job is implied by more hands on.

Frank , nice sentiment.

but what if you dont get the chance to prove that you are better at your job?? cos youre fighting off another 20 bods in your unit for that one available med cover - get real

Frank

Old-Salt
You made a generalised comment that RCMT's get more hands on. This is proportionate and not necessarily so. What do we talk about when we say hands on? If you mean time sat on medical covers you may be right but being a medic is more than that.

RCMT's often have OC's that dont understand what they are about and get very little training once theyve done their course. The RAP i refered to earlier doesnt have a single soldier who has been able to pass BATLS.

I stand by my guns that RCMT's do not get "more hands on" by my definition of what that means. If you want to continue the RCMT v's CMT debate we can but pore jase will still be none the wiser.

Jase.

If you are in the TA and have an interest in trauma then go to a medical unit. They are all over the place. By comparison you WILL miss out in training in the signal unit and would be surprised how much you'l pick up from working with other medics/nurses & doctors.