• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Is it worth buying a new SD?

I recently bought a mess kit from Goodalls and I was so impressed with the quality and service I'm now really tempted to ditch my tatty second-hand SD and get a new one.

Goodalls have quoted me £705 inc. p&p including rank, buttons and badges (QARANC). Is that good?

I have problems buying second hand as I'm 6'3'' and, unlike some QA Majors, don't have a fat arse.

3 times per year?

msr

Haven't ever owned SD. Never needed it.

msr

and if you were Regular, you'd get it all paid for.....

Over a few beers with our PSAO he seems to think I can get one free, gratis and for nothing, from stores - but I might have to wait a while. I only really wear it for rememberance and Corps day but also needed if I want to to the 'Turning of the Pages' at Westminster Abbey - which I have a fancy to do. So, on balance I might stick with the tatty one until I can get a new free one from stores.

By the way, there is, of course, the second hand shop at Keogh Barracks. However, I went there and they have nothing for men with arms like a gibbon.