Is it Walty to wear an officers cap badge?

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by BuggerAll, Apr 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A friend recently gave me a silver officer's cap badge. A great big crucified moose and if I say so myself a thing of some beauty. They are also obsolete.

I served in 1/51 HIGHLAND long before being commissioned and I often attend old comrades functions where it is de riguer to wear a bonnet.

My question is would it be Walty for me now to put the badge in my bonnet. I suppose I'm asking the question because I fear it probably is but then maybe I'm being over sensitive.
  2. If you can take the flak wear it.
  3. Of course it is. How could you even ask that?

If an earned medal or badge is given to you by someone who is important in your life, it would be acceptable to wear it on an inside flap, cap or lapel where it is unseen.
  4. But it's going on his bonnet, hardly unseen. Sod it, I wear my Glengarry on Remembrance day so go for it. Nice badge in silver.
  5. I don't even wear the ACU or current tan Ranger beret because, even though I served in the Army and earned a Ranger beret, I didn't serve during that era. I served when we wore BDUs and black Ranger berets.

Maybe the mindset is different for non infantry / non combat arms types and civilians. However, things I did not earn, I will not wear. If my father gave me his combat valor award, I would wear it on the inside of my jacket in order to honor him. I would never be so audacious as to present it in a manner which could be interpretted as me having earned the award.

My opinion was solicited so there you have it.

No personal affront intended.
  6. I don't think you are familiar with the size of the crucified moose he is talking about :)

Highland Brigade cap badge

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I have a similar problem.
    Member of two Regt Associations.
    In first beret is khaki.
    I have also done AACC, but after I left that Regt.
    On parade with them do I wear khaki or green beret with their capbadge.
    2nd Association no problems wearing green beret.
  8. agreed - you wear what you did when you served. If you served in 2 or more units/regiments then pick your favourite/longest served in and wear that beret & badge, but remember the other(s) with a nice pin badge on your lapel
  9. oldbaldy, I would maintain uniform standards. If everyone is wearing one color, I would conform or I would not participate. If the formation was a mix of the two, I would go with the unit I served in combat with or personal preference if I was without a combat tour.

My personal opinion reflects that of American standards so take it for what it's worth.
  10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Or wear the one that is appropriate to the function you are attending.
  11. good to see some of the old Crucified moose about...still got mine (OR Pattern only) i still think the officers one was a cracking bit of kit....ive heard the RRS is going down a similar road with the Lion in the new badge for officers and SNCO's

If i had on, i would wear it.. :D
  12. It is not as if an ex-sapper or ex-Royal Scot other rank was wearing an officer's cap badge which in their case would be a completely different badge. In your case, the staff badge and issue version are arguably the same badge, albeit the latter is a cheapo version of the former.

PS - Cuidich 'n Righ!
  13. I apologize if the advice I'm offering is foreign to the norm. I have zero experience with veteran parade standards in the U.K. In the U.S., if you wear an award or badge, you had better be prepared to be vetted / quizzed / scrutinized.
  14. only because he was 1/51 if he had been 3/51...then it would have been better...LOL

remember you will need to wear you green plastic belt just incase one of you old RSM's is about... :D

I take it will be worn in a blue bonnet, or glengarry ?
  15. British standards require that if two officers appear dressed the same, one has to go and get changed :D