Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Is it true ??????

Planty

Swinger
Is it true that only Majors and above may address a L/Cpl as Lance Corpral, and anyone below has to address him as Corpral???

Anyone know anything about this. is it in Queens Regs?

I was always under the impression that the LANCE rank was never used when addressing a L/Sgt or L/Cpl.At least I neber heard it used in 15 years service.

I was always under the impression that the LANCE rank was never used when addressing a L/Sgt or L/Cpl.At least I neber (never even) heard it used in 15 years service.

I think that it must depend on tradition of what ever core your with. I heard a few things said a couple of years a go.....let me think.....Right, I believe that it was not a spoken term, ie if you were Lcpl then you would be called Cpl (in spoken terms) but on paper you were a Lcpl. I will have to do some digging.....

When I was a LCpl my boss used to call me either Cpl or Taff I was never called LCpl. The way I think It neveer bothered me. So does it really matter if your boss calls you LCpl or Cpl I think not.

Planty said:
Is it true that only Majors and above may address a L/Cpl as Lance Corpral, and anyone below has to address him as Corpral???

Anyone know anything about this. is it in Queens Regs?

Ive ne'er heard of it before!

Everyone shortens the Lance ranks down to 'Corporal' or 'Sergeant' but Ive never heard of it being laid down in QRs.

This is similar to the RSM thing with only the CO and above being in the position to address the RSM as 'RSM' ...with everyone else meant to be calling him 'Sir' or 'RSM, Sir' :?

Fatbadge said:
This is similar to the RSM thing with only the CO and above being in the position to address the RSM as 'RSM' ...with everyone else meant to be calling him 'Sir' or 'RSM, Sir' :?

The CO and above? So a the adjutant or a major is supposed to call the RSM 'Sir' or 'RSM, Sir'?

It that your final answer?

When written has L/Cpl I was once told that it meant they were an acting Lance Corporal. A sub lance jack was written as LCpl. Anyone know if thats true

mind you does anyone care