• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Is It Time We Upgraded The Issue Para Smock ?

Isn't the para smock designed like it is for parachuting? Press studs that don't fall of, no storm flap to get caught in all the bondage stuff and knitted cuffs to stop them flapping in the slipstream? Plus of course the "beaver tail".

Remember, the original denison and sleevless over smock were desinged to be baggy to be worn over webbing, then parachute on top of that hence the press studs etc.

Oh, and I'm a hat. :)

ugly

LE
I was offered a sniper smock in COP as it only fitted 2 of us and we were issued one per team, I had windproofs from the tour to the Falklands the year before but along with my barbour I really liked my para smock that was lent to me. It lasted well with an iniba and was warm in winter. So much that when I left I bought one. I was also starting out pigeon shooting so I got hold of a repro Dennison as it blended well with the stubbles I was shooting over. I had used on exercise (in recce we used to be everyones enemy) an old Belgian para smock, and no I didnt suddenly develop a paedophiles tatse but I always like chocco! The belgian was sufficiently warry when enemy as to be usefull but had almost fallen apart by the end of my time. I still have the two jumbo sized para smocks, 1 in DPM and the other in Dennison officers pattern or later version with full zip and they get used when I'm deer stalking occaisionally.

This was my oldest lad about 4 years ago wearing another one from the 1950's. People used to find out you were serving and say "I've me dads old jacket in the loft, it wont be any use to you will it?" Oh how I smiled!
Trouble is I just squeeze into what used to be very baggy on me back thenhence my lads wearing it when stalking!

Viking_Raider said:
smudge67 said:
Hat indeed! Although usefull in theatre today :)
and Paras aren't you fucking craphat bellend. Why slag us off?. Are you jealous?
Very jealous, and rightly so! As I'm trained, with a trade, god knows I can't TAB to contact, or fire a rifle, I missed all that part of training, and went straight to phase 2. What does DPM mean? I've no idea?

I can therefore fix nearly all weapons the Army has to offer.

I can do my job, and still do yours. Can you do mine??!!? ;) I thankyaw!

Viking_Raider said:
Why are hats so hung up about the Para smock? Get a life FFS! It's only a camouflage jacket issued to elite troops. :)
Do you mean that the SIB get it now?

The Para smock is designed for parachuting isn't it, press studs so buttons don't get caught up in rigging lines, and the fanny flap to stop it riding up and flapping about isn't it? Smudge67, you are boring, and biting though I am, firing an APWT, probably not up to CI standard that infantry have to and doing a bit of fire & manoeveure in phase 1 doesn't mean you understand the complexities of a company attack, nor does doing a bone little bimble with a bergen on mean you can TAB. And my experience with armourers so far is that you are a bunch of big timing cnuts with far too much gucci kit than is needed to toss it off in the armoury iso all day, this is true bar one, who incidentally was ex para regt. Enjoy your next wet and ******* cake.

307 said:
The Para smock is designed for parachuting isn't it, press studs so buttons don't get caught up in rigging lines, and the fanny flap to stop it riding up and flapping about isn't it? Smudge67, you are boring, and biting though I am, firing an APWT, probably not up to CI standard that infantry have to and doing a bit of fire & manoeveure in phase 1 doesn't mean you understand the complexities of a company attack, nor does doing a bone little bimble with a bergen on mean you can TAB. And my experience with armourers so far is that you are a bunch of big timing * with far too much gucci kit than is needed to toss it off in the armoury iso all day, this is true bar one, who incidentally was ex para regt. Enjoy your next wet and * cake.
yawn

R

really?_fascinating

I'd just like to issue a word of caution. Having read on here that the para smock is designed for parachuting, I put mine on and jumped off the roof of the garage.

I now have really sore ankles and knees and a bump on my head.

If it designed for parachuting, take it from me, jumping from much more than ten feet up will mean you will still need a parachute.

i always smile when i see fat pongo officers in para smocks there always the first to write some thesis on the disbandment of airborne troops sadly these walts are not in the minority the worlds only combat proven (on a regular basis)don't wear there wings only on there best uniform or a form of para smock and there boots were a copy of those weird ones the legion wear

R

really?_fascinating

The legion? Last bloke I met from the legion wore fur lined boots with zips in - said his arthritis stopped him doing his laces up anymore. Cannot imagine he does much parachuting at all now.

jack-daniels said:
I always thought that 9 Sqn had the grip of the large smocks, their blokes had the biggest and baggiest known to smock world!
I think we must have nicked the brigade's allocation of large sized smocks.

Someone must have diverted them all our way!

3 Para?

I'm sure sass will do one if asked then make a fortune selling them to walts

Latest Threads