Is it time to get rid of the Ghurkas?

#1
Listening to how the Army is strapped for cash added to the fact that most Infantry Regiments are being capped because they are overmanned is it time to do away with our friends from Nepal. Personally I think it is because they are no longer the cut price dealers of death that they were originally recruited for. They now get nationality which is right, (serving Queen and Country its the least we can do) but of course that now has an impact on infrastructer of the UK and the added burden to national health services ect. I feel that along with the rest of the country it is now time to make some challenging decisions and I think this should be one of them. Apologies for any mong spelling!
 
#3
I think all our home-grown chav retards killing themselves on Buckfast and L&B are more of a drain on the NHS...

So you reckon it's a good idea to do away with an entire bde in a time when the army's busier than it's been for years?
 
#4
Bravo_Zulu said:
So you reckon it's a good idea to do away with an entire bde in a time when the army's busier than it's been for years?
Recruiting is also on the up. Put bluntly why are we paying foriegners when we have so many unemployed? Years ago they were a lot cheaper so it was easier to argue keeping them. Now they almost the same rights and in some cases are costing the army more than a British soldier would.
 
#5
BernardMcCabe said:
Listening to how the Army is strapped for cash added to the fact that most Infantry Regiments are being capped because they are overmanned is it time to do away with our friends from Nepal. Personally I think it is because they are no longer the cut price dealers of death that they were originally recruited for. They now get nationality which is right, (serving Queen and Country its the least we can do) but of course that now has an impact on infrastructer of the UK and the added burden to national health services ect. I feel that along with the rest of the country it is now time to make some challenging decisions and I think this should be one of them. Apologies for any mong spelling!

I don't agree with you, when the economy was ok and most of the Army was undermanned our Gurkha Battalions were always full and they always will be. There has been countless times when Infantry Battalions deployed on Ops have been backfilled with a Gurhka RC.
As for cost, they are proberly the best vaule for money infantry battalion you can get, there retention is very good therefore no re-training recruits unless through natural wastage. The Army gets the full lengh of service out of them. Just my thoughts though.!
 

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
Crikey, next thing I'll hear is getting rid of the paras because they don't jump out of aeroplanes, giving the cavalry helicopters because they are a more useful tool in modern warfare and also absorbing all planes into the navy to disband the RAF.

However, who would do something like that?
 
#7
Don't be a mong. There are not many of them in comparison to our own home grown scroungers and, given that they are productive and employed, exactly how are they a drain on resources? They are inf and therefor rather useful in the current climate and when they retire they tend to hold down jobs.

Or are you just a brown-skin is bad, BNP twat?
 
#8
mark3536 said:
BernardMcCabe said:
Listening to how the Army is strapped for cash added to the fact that most Infantry Regiments are being capped because they are overmanned is it time to do away with our friends from Nepal. Personally I think it is because they are no longer the cut price dealers of death that they were originally recruited for. They now get nationality which is right, (serving Queen and Country its the least we can do) but of course that now has an impact on infrastructer of the UK and the added burden to national health services ect. I feel that along with the rest of the country it is now time to make some challenging decisions and I think this should be one of them. Apologies for any mong spelling!

I don't agree with you, when the economy was ok and most of the Army was undermanned our Gurkha Battalions were always full and they always will be. There has been countless times when Infantry Battalions deployed on Ops have been backfilled with a Gurhka RC.
As for cost, they are proberly the best vaule for money infantry battalion you can get, there retention is very good therefore no re-training recruits unless through natural wastage. The Army gets the full lengh of service out of them. Just my thoughts though.!
Fully agree with the points you make, however there is now a longer term cost which I feel makes them less cost effective. I also agree with the point that the Army is overstretched but could the shortfall be made up with removing the capping and fill up some of the Regiments that have been disbanded?
 
#9
beer said:
Don't be a mong. There are not many of them in comparison to our own home grown scroungers and, given that they are productive and employed, exactly how are they a drain on resources? They are inf and therefor rather useful in the current climate and when they retire they tend to hold down jobs.

Or are you just a brown-skin is bad, BNP twat?
Im neither a mong or a member of the BNP you retard. I made a comment that I believe, if you disagree then by all means make your point as opposed to moronic statements.
 
#11
No, what happens when the current financial crises is over, I know it's become a fad to bin centuries of tradition but this is one well worth keeping.
 
#12
beer said:
Don't be a mong. There are not many of them in comparison to our own home grown scroungers and, given that they are productive and employed, exactly how are they a drain on resources? They are inf and therefor rather useful in the current climate and when they retire they tend to hold down jobs.

Or are you just a brown-skin is bad, BNP twat?
So the Ghurka Engineers, Signalers and RLC have been disbanded. I hope someone has told them :wink:

The OP is opening a point for debate on something military for a change, by all means disagree, but at least add something other than abuse
 
#14
beer said:
Don't be a mong. There are not many of them in comparison to our own home grown scroungers and, given that they are productive and employed, exactly how are they a drain on resources? They are inf and therefor rather useful in the current climate and when they retire they tend to hold down jobs.

Or are you just a brown-skin is bad, BNP twat?
Not everyone on the dole is a scrounger.
They cost more (now) from teaching Officers to speak Nepalese to having to fly them back to Nepal every 5 years. You will also find alot of them are now transfering from the Ghurkas after 5 years into the regular army.

Nice one with the BNP, do you always shout that out when people discuss those that are not British?
 
#15
bullet_catcher said:
It would appear that some people think that loyalty and historic ties between nations are not worth a penny.
Hmmm you mean like some of Nepal own goverment who were not keen on Ghurkas serving the UK?
 
#16
There is a certain fiscal logic to it which is beguiling - and that is exactly why so many of our public services are in shit order ; because they try to emulate the profit first, last and foremost attitude of business. It isn't always the best way forward and in any case, from a personal point of view, I like the Ghurkas, so get fcuked! :D
 
#17
BernardMcCabe said:
mark3536 said:
BernardMcCabe said:
Listening to how the Army is strapped for cash added to the fact that most Infantry Regiments are being capped because they are overmanned is it time to do away with our friends from Nepal. Personally I think it is because they are no longer the cut price dealers of death that they were originally recruited for. They now get nationality which is right, (serving Queen and Country its the least we can do) but of course that now has an impact on infrastructer of the UK and the added burden to national health services ect. I feel that along with the rest of the country it is now time to make some challenging decisions and I think this should be one of them. Apologies for any mong spelling!

I don't agree with you, when the economy was ok and most of the Army was undermanned our Gurkha Battalions were always full and they always will be. There has been countless times when Infantry Battalions deployed on Ops have been backfilled with a Gurhka RC.
As for cost, they are proberly the best vaule for money infantry battalion you can get, there retention is very good therefore no re-training recruits unless through natural wastage. The Army gets the full lengh of service out of them. Just my thoughts though.!
Fully agree with the points you make, however there is now a longer term cost which I feel makes them less cost effective. I also agree with the point that the Army is overstretched but could the shortfall be made up with removing the capping and fill up some of the Regiments that have been disbanded?
I wouldn't make any sense to bin an entire well recruited Brigade of Gurkhas for the sole reason of making spaces in the Army for home grown blokes instead.
If your worried about Johnny Gurkha taking up valuable spaces in the Army that should goto home grown Brits then may I suggest binning the commonwealh Soldiers first?
Theres more Jamacians and Fijians in the Army than Gurkhas surely?
and their reputation is utter dog toffee compared to the Gurkhas.
 
#18
sneeky_turd said:
Theres more Jamacians and Fijians in the Army than Gurkhas surely?
and their reputation is utter dog toffee compared to the Gurkhas.
But they are far better rugby players, How else would the Royal Scots have ever won the Army Rugby Cup :wink:
 
#19
Knowing that Bernard's own Regimental Footprint includes Kent where many of the alleged Gurkha "Burdens" settle, he may wish to consult some of his fellow Tigers and get their views on the influx of first generation Gurungs and Rais populating his own battalions.

As sons descended from a proud and disciplined family background and of course recruited as British Citizens they may not be any better than homegrown talent but they are a hell of a lot less trouble than Kentish Man or the Fijians!!
 
#20
This is a non-thread.

McCabe, what did you have for breakfast?

Does Johnny Gurkha understand Pashtu without any extra language training? Has he been involved in every conflict the British Army has ever had in Afghanistan?

Is he value for money?

Is he a lot less maintenance than his equivelant born and raised in the British Isles?

Is he generally a fair bit brighter?

Have you really thought about this - or are you just having a bit of a rant?

Adjt
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads